Which external HDD for a VIP 622

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

rexlan

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 15, 2009
I have a VIP622 receiver and want to archive some stuff. I also have two new WD 320 GB EIDE hard drives. Can I buy a USB enclosure for these and connect the USB to the VIP622? Any recommendations on which enclosure to buy?

Once I have stuff on the external HDD can it be put on my PC and viewed or must it be connected to the Dish receiver?

If my receiver fails and I get a replacement will the material on the external HDD be usable on the new receiver?

Finally, do I have to have Dish do something to make this external HDD work?

Thanks

I have a VIP622 receiver and want to archive some stuff. I also have two new WD 320 GB EIDE hard drives. Can I buy a USB enclosure for these and connect the USB to the VIP622? Any recommendations on which enclosure to buy?

Yes you can. There are several choices. Go to newegg.com and see customer ratings.

Once I have stuff on the external HDD can it be put on my PC and viewed or must it be connected to the Dish receiver?
Only on Dish receiver.
If my receiver fails and I get a replacement will the material on the external HDD be usable on the new receiver?
Yes.
Finally, do I have to have Dish do something to make this external HDD work?

Pay one time $40.00 activation fee.

If you really want to save your recordings in HD and use them on your PC or a media player, you have 2 choices:

A Hauppauge HD-PVR (Dell has on sale at $173 now) or an Avermedia HD DVR capture card (now going for around $75). You would need to record the Dish recordings to your PC and they would be in a format that you could use on any number of devices. The HD-PVR is the better choice, but more expensive. The Avermedia records HD but only stereo sound.

I only save Music Concerts and Movies and use the Avermedia card for recording them. This way I don't have to worry about losing them if for some reason I cancel Dish.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)