which format should i be using for my hdtv?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jumpman23j

SatelliteGuys Family
Feb 2, 2008
I have a sharp lc42d64u 1080p hdtv and i wanna know which format i should be in. When the guy set it up i believe it was in 720p but i don't know which one. Also, if it is better to have native selected how do i select it? Thanks.

I have an hr 21 if that helps.

I set mine to the TV's resolution, so on your set I would set the output of the HR21 to 1080i only and turn the native off. Oh and I set mine to pillar. Black bars are fine for me on none HD programs.

Last edited:
I have an HR21 on my Mits RP. it's native resolution is 1080i. That's what I have my HR21 set at.

On my other plasma display it's native resolution is 720p. that's what I have my H-20 set at.

The native setting on the boxes to me, is irritating, it works just fine, I just don't like the lag in the picture as it resets the resolution.

As far as Stretch, crop, pillar box. Right now both of my displays are pillar boxed for non HD programming. Fortunately with all the HD being provided it's not really much of an issue.

It's a personal preference. My brother can't stand seeing the black bars and stretches whatever he can.

As Yamaha used to say, "different strokes for different folks." I just wish that some of the stations wouldn't automatically stretch everything. I can unstretch with my TV, but that doesn't work for stretched letterbox or anamorphic stretching.

I have a RP CRT set (no native resolution) so I use both 720P and 1080i. Keeping 480i/p off helps keep the guide in HD on SD channels and seems to take care of the channel change issues. The CE firmware also seems to handle channel changes and resolution formats a bit better.

I'd guess in your case 1080i would be best but every setup is different. Just experiment.

As Yamaha used to say, "different strokes for different folks." I just wish that some of the stations wouldn't automatically stretch everything. I can unstretch with my TV, but that doesn't work for stretched letterbox or anamorphic stretching.

I'll second that. I wish the FCC would stop worrying about trivial things and make butchering broadcasts like that and passing it off as HD illegal.

All jokes aside, it can't be the artistic intent of the director and the actors probably don't want to look 50 lbs heavier either.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts