which fta receiver has easy to use PVR programing?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mp3er3000

Original poster
Jul 31, 2013
United States
I'm trying to buy my mom a new receiver with PVR feature. She is 60 years old. I need a receiver that is easy to use and program. The receiver doesn't need to be HD but If i have to buy HD receiver, it's fine. Thanks
?Kevin

Of the receivers I have, I prefer the MicroHD for the DVR function. One button push gives you the programming screen.

MicroHD is the way to go for young people and specially for old fogies like us, LOL!!!!.

WHO ARE YOU CALLING --- oh, I re-read that... you are talking about your self... ;) I am only middle-age. These young whipper snappers who can't -- nah, will not flame any one, too much fire already. -- a fire call on the scanner, just now -- MVA with fire, just 1 1/2 mile south of the fire line -- NO! Fire go out! Good - somebody had an extinguisher and got fire out but one car is rolled over - no word on injuries . CUL
edit... rescue on scene .. rest canceled. No report on injuries, but do not expect to hear unless transporting.

Last edited:
The microHD is great, but realize that depending what satellite you are on you may or may not have a program guide like Dish, Direct, and cable have. To record something that is currently playing is just the push of a button, but to setup timers to record a program in the future can be frustrating without a program guide. Also, due to limitation with ALI, you do not have the option for a mon-fri timer. (see other threads about this) Also for the PVR function, you will either need a USB stick or USB hard disk to record to. If using a USB hard disk, make sure it has its own power supply and does not use the microHD to power the hard disk. (see other threads about this also)

I think those comments are true of every receiver, not just the microHD (some with other chpsets MAY do M-F recording).

Haven't used every S2- or HD- capable receiver.
But those modern units are what I would focus on today.
Most of my recording experience was with the previous generation SD PVR from SatelliteAV, due to their strong user support.
So, I'll have to assume my microHD is a great choice again. :) :up
?.

The ability to record Monday to Friday is not really related to the chipset but rather the firmware's coding itself. However, as importers of receivers based on certain chipsets such as ALI only have an SDK to work with and not full access to the source code, they are limited to the level of customization they are capable of providing based on the confines of the SDK.

For the record, the AzBox miniMe American Edition does not have these restrictions and recording times can currently be created with any of the following repeat types:

- Once DEFAULT (for a single one-off event)
- Daily (every day of the week at the same time)
- Weekly (once a week at the same time and day of the week)
- Biweekly (every two weeks at the same time and day of the week)
- Fourweekly (every four weeks at the same time and day of the week)
- Monthly (every month on the same time and day number)
- Custom week days (any day of the week can be selected and timer will execute on the same time. Monday to Friday is selected by default)

Best regards,

PwrSurge
AzBox Canada & US

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)