Which HD dvd player to buy

Slick

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 9, 2004
Well guys and gals I am finally going to break down and buy a HD dvd player which do you think is good for around $300.00.. I also only have a copponent video left for my best imput on my tv is buying a HD player worth it with only having a coponent video imput left? If you have any places that may have one on sale I would apperciate it..Cya Slick

Last edited:
I just bought a Toshiba A30 at Best Buy for $299 (had coupon, but they should give you that price regardless). Came with 7 DVDs (2 in box, 5 on rebate). Amazon has same for $279.

It will give 1080i using component. Need HDMI for 1080p. I have both hooked up on my 72" Sammy abd can't tell the difference.

The A3 may save you $100, It does not provide 1080p at all.

I just bought a Toshiba A30 at Best Buy for $299 (had coupon, but they should give you that price regardless). Came with 7 DVDs (2 in box, 5 on rebate). Amazon has same for $279.

It will give 1080i using component. Need HDMI for 1080p. I have both hooked up on my 72" Sammy abd can't tell the difference.

The A3 may save you $100, It does not provide 1080p at all.

If he's only doing component, he won't get 1080p anyway.

You have SIX player choices not including the Xbox 360 add-on.

3 first generation players are 1080i out only
RCA, A1, XA2
1 2nd generation player
A2
2 3rd generation players
Venturer and A3

Unless you need analog outs to your receiver, I would look for a cheap A2 or see about a good deal on the Venturer or the A3.

I also only have a copponent video left
If you do have an HDMI input, but it's being used for something else, then consider switching the inputs. You do want to give your best input to HD DVD (or Blu-ray for that matter). Your satellite/cable box can use component instead.

Another important consideration when choosing a player: your audio system. For example, if you have an A/V receive that cannot accept HDMI, but has 5.1 analog connection, then you should get a player that offers 5.1 analog outputs. This will give you much better sound than what can be delivered over optical Toslink or digital coax. Keep this in mind too.

If you do have an HDMI input, but it's being used for something else, then consider switching the inputs. You do want to give your best input to HD DVD (or Blu-ray for that matter). Your satellite/cable box can use component instead.

Another important consideration when choosing a player: your audio system. For example, if you have an A/V receive that cannot accept HDMI, but has 5.1 analog connection, then you should get a player that offers 5.1 analog outputs. This will give you much better sound than what can be delivered over optical Toslink or digital coax. Keep this in mind too.

I am glad I looked because I just noticed that the a2 does not even have a optical output and the a3 does because like you said I need that for my receiver.. Because right now I am running is a sony 400 disc dvd player DVP-CX985V and I am ready to go to HD DVD.. Guys unless I am mistaken and have been reading my receiver wrong all this time is that optical toslink can handle and deliver a 5.1 DTS sound thru my home theather system correct..

As for my tv I am running a Sony 60" Lcd grand wega KF-60WE610 and it really only has one DVI and two component imputs so I have been running my HD direct tv thru the DVI with a cable that has one end HDMI and the other DVI.. I have been running my dvd player thru the component but by what I am reading it would be better to run the direct tv hd programing thru the componet and use the dvi for my HD dvd player? Cya Slick

PS..I just found a A3 for $200.00 what do you think good price

Last edited:
I just noticed that the a2 does not even have a optical output
That's incorrect. They all have optical Toslink output. So, it's not a problem to play "old" 5.1 formats, like Dolby Digital or DTS.
However, if you want to be able to play more advanced HD Audio formats, like Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD or uncompressed 5.1 LPCM you need one of two types of audio inputs in your A/V receiver: either HDMI or 5.1 analog. (Only few HD DVD players offer 5.1 analog outputs: HD-A1, HD-XA1, HD-XA2, HD-A35). I understand you don't have HDMI, but does you receiver have 5.1 analog connections? What's the model number?

it would be better to run the direct tv hd programing thru the componet and use the dvi for my HD dvd player?
Correct. HD DVD has a much better PQ than any satellite channel. So it may benifit more from the sharpness of the HDMI interface.

I have a Sony STR-DE845, I dont know it may be time for a new receiver as well.. Cya Slick

It will give 1080i using component. Need HDMI for 1080p.
Don't know about the 1080p part. Never researched that because 1080p as "an upgrade to" 1080i output from your player is really just hype IMHO.

These players will NOT upconvert standard DVDs over component. If you want your SD DVDs upconverted (and who wouldn't?) you'll have to use HDMI.

Slick said:
I am glad I looked because I just noticed that the a2 does not even have a optical output...
Sure it does. My A2 is currently connected to my receiver using it. There may be a little black plug in your toslink connection, but that's just a protective cover. Pull it out and there's your port.

STR-DE845 does have 5.1 analog inputs. So if you want to get the best possible sound quality out of this receiver (much better than 5.1 DTS or DD), then you might want to look for one of the four models I listed above. On the other hand, if the sound quality is not so important to you, or if you plan to upgrade to an HDMI-capable receiver in near future, then HD-A2 or HD-A3 will make a good choice.

Your TV set does not support 1080p, so this part is of no concern.

STR-DE845 does have 5.1 analog inputs. So if you want to get the best possible sound quality out of this receiver (much better than 5.1 DTS or DD), then you might want to look for one of the four models I listed above. On the other hand, if the sound quality is not so important to you, or if you plan to upgrade to an HDMI-capable receiver in near future, then HD-A2 or HD-A3 will make a good choice.

Your TV set does not support 1080p, so this part is of no concern.

If I was to buy a new receiver for around $400 to $500 what would you buy? and were?

I also was reading other forums on this site about if HD or Blueray is going to win the war and by what I am reading it sounds like Blue ray has more backing of the studios.. I only want to buy one new dvd player and all this reading has me second guessing myself on what to buy it's making my head spin, thanks guys for your patience.. Cya Slick

If I was to buy a new receiver for around $400 to $500 what would you buy? and were?
If you can up the alotted amount to around $600, get the Onkyo 605.
I think it is the cheapest AVR that can handle hires audio.

Diogen.

If you can up the alotted amount to around $600, get the Onkyo 605.
I think it is the cheapest AVR that can handle hires audio.

Diogen.

Sorry for my ignorance but what is hires audio? I take it thats the audio on HD and blue ray dvd's? I could up it to $600 not that I wanted to but if it will set me up for a good long time I could live with it.. Cya Slick

Yes, it is. I didn't know it is this low already.

You are correct, high resolution audio are the new audio codecs introduced in HD/BD: DD+, TrueHD, DTS MA, etc.
If you have a receiver that can decode them, you can get away with a cheaper player sending them bitstream over HDMI.

Diogen.

Yes, DVI to HDMI cable will work fine. Just keep in mind, that DVI doesn't carry audio, so you also need a separate audio connection (if you need to use your tv set's speakers at all).

... and if you plan to play HD/BD, make sure the DVI connector on your TV is HDCP compliant.

Diogen.

Thanx, I just jumped in and got the A3($199) deal was to good to pass. Also got a Sony STR-DG810 receiver cheapest($269) one I've seen with 3 HDMI inputs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)