Which HD-DVR Is For Me?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

litig8

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 2, 2005
Southlake, Texas
I currently have a Tivo HD10-250 and received a notice from Directv that they will replace my unit at no cost.

My tv has a built in ATSC Tuner, and I currently obtain my HD content OTA with an outdoor antenna. I understand that the HR21 does not have a built-in OTA tuner, but does that really matter since my TV already has what I need?

Currently, my OTA is connected to my DVR and I am able to record OTA seamlessly. Will this change if my antenna now needs to be connected to the TV tuner.

Lastly, i would like to keep my 10-250 and move it to another room (this way I also don't lose my recorded content). Is this possible?

Thanks.

Your only choice is an HR21 w/the AM21 OTA tuner.
Or, if you can still find an HR20 (w/the OTA tuner built in) that would work, too - but you probably ain't going to find one.
Yes, you CAN keep the HD Tivo.

You would need the AM21 to RECORD off air content. There is nothing preventing you from hooking the OTA feed directly to the TV. But with the AM21 (or an HR20 with built-in ATSC tuners) will also integrate the off air channels in the channel guide, which hooking the antenna directly to the TV won't give you.

Thanks for the clarification. Very helpful. I assume that when I contact Directv, I simply let them know what I need.

Of course, I imagine I will need to argue to get the AM21 at no charge.

Based on your screen name, it shouldn't be too hard for you to argue your case. ;)

But in all seriousness, some people are able to bargain down to free especially if you make the case that you "rely" on your HD OTA and D* isn't offering all locals in HD or the subchannels. Be persuasive, but be nice and you should be okay. If not, you can always play CSR Roullette.

You can also bargin for the AM21 when you point out to them that your HD Tivo DOES have it, & you want at least the SAME capabilities as it had. (regarding OTA...)

I'm always up for a little negotiation :up.

Seeing that I need an AM21 if I get the HR21, is there is any drawback to going with this option.

Or, should I simply try to get an HR20 and avoid the hassle (if they are still available).

D* will NOT promise you a specific model - you get whatever the tech happens to have on this truck that day. (actually, sometimes the CSR's WILL promise you, but in reality, they can't)
Other than having an extra box to stack, the HR21/AM21 combo does the SAME thing as an HR20, so it really doesn't matter - just get it & be done with it!

I currently have a Tivo HD10-250 and received a notice from Directv that they will replace my unit at no cost.

My tv has a built in ATSC Tuner, and I currently obtain my HD content OTA with an outdoor antenna. I understand that the HR21 does not have a built-in OTA tuner, but does that really matter since my TV already has what I need?

Currently, my OTA is connected to my DVR and I am able to record OTA seamlessly. Will this change if my antenna now needs to be connected to the TV tuner.

Lastly, i would like to keep my 10-250 and move it to another room (this way I also don't lose my recorded content). Is this possible?

Thanks.

I just went through the same thing a couple of months ago. They sent me a refurbrished HR20 (built in OTA tuner) I moved the old HR10-250 to another room and am still using it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)