Which is better solid copper or copper-clad center conductor?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

miguelaqui

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 14, 2004
I recently noticed that a lot of sat installers are now using sold copper center conducter cable....Is it any better?

When I did cable, they never used solid copper. I was told that the steel clad was less likely to kink and break.

I was just wondering if there was really a difference? Does one tend to lose less signal?

Last edited:
For RF part doesn't matter ( skin effect ), but from mechanical and DC loss standpoints solid copper vs steel center works in opposite directions. For long run aerial installation second preferrable.

i recently got a box of wire from sadoun
waiting for it to arrive
here what i bought
JVI Trunk Millennium Dual RG6 Coax Cable without Ground - 500' REEL (Professional Series)

Isn't that JVI more Chinese cable?

I would feel bad buying Chinese made cable; I grew up near a Times Fiber factory.

I hate seeing that Chinese stuff taking over!!! I really try to get TFC or Commscope (VEXTRA)...I haven't seen Trilogy in a while.
, used to see it all the time

I have found NO difference between the two on any install.

Solid copper WILL carry more DC current, but that's only relevant in certain LONG run fronge cases.

What I HAVE found is that the solid copper that we're getting has inconsistent outer diameter, making fitting install difficult.

webbydude said:
Dude...what type of RG-11 is NOT stiff? LOL
The really cheap kind; Chinese 40% shielding.

If he has the underground, it is really stiff because it has that extra thick jacket on it.

webbydude said:
Dude...what type of RG-11 is NOT stiff? LOL
i know i bought digicon connections plus rg11 tool never could figure it out, neither could dtv dish or comcast techs so i had to settle for rg11 crimp on connectors got sick of them
so i shall try rg6 with good connectors

Last edited:
Solid copper is more flexable and will carry a signal better. A matter of fact I have used it and noticed a slightly better performance.

But for an enduser point of view, there is no difference at all! Copper Clad Steel is simply cheaper!

I agree. I was taught that electrons traveled on the surface of the wire. The core material shouldn't be a big factor in conductivity.

stone phillips420 said:
i know i bought digicon connections plus rg11 tool never could figure it out, neither could dtv dish or comcast techs so i had to settle for rg11 crimp on connectors got sick of them
so i shall try rg6 with good connectors
Really??? What was so difficult??

mdonnelly said:
I agree. I was taught that electrons traveled on the surface of the wire. The core material shouldn't be a big factor in conductivity.
I was afraid to mention that.

I thought they might have changed Physics in the last 40 years.

miguelaqui said:
Really??? What was so difficult??
it seemed to me it was a 2 piece fitting but after crimped on the cable where ya spin to connect coax to lnb or switch or ird was stuck it wouldnt budge so all ya could do was spin actually coax instead of spinning fitting
ps i didnt mean to buy china wire:)
i bought what sadoun carried never had a problem with sadoun great service
by no means am i the best at labor but i like to think im average to me the rg11 and dgicon fittings were made for rocket scientist oh wait that nasa:)
they dont seem to bright lately
when i get wire im gonna have a lot of fun with new 8 port and 12 port wall plates

stone phillips420 said:
it seemed to me it was a 2 piece fitting but after crimped on the cable where ya spin to connect coax to lnb or switch or ird was stuck it wouldnt budge so all ya could do was spin actually coax instead of spinning fitting
ps i didnt mean to buy china wire:)
i bought what sadoun carried never had a problem with sadoun great service
by no means am i the best at labor but i like to think im average to me the rg11 and dgicon fittings were made for rocket scientist oh wait that nasa:)
they dont seem to bright lately
when i get wire im gonna have a lot of fun with new 8 port and 12 port wall plates
I have heard that complaint about Digicons in general....once compressed the nut will not spin..some people call it "freezing up"
I love Digicon and never have had any trouble with them....but, they are made in Taiwan..I think. SNS are made in USA.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)