Which of your Locals has the worst HD PQ?

Which local has the worst HD PQ?

• Total voters
Status
Please reply by conversation.

yourbeliefs

Something Profound
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Sep 20, 2007
Northeast
After getting accustomed to HD quality programming and seeing different people with different complaints based on their markets, I'm wondering overall which locals for different people give them the worst HD picture.
For me in CT the "winner" is NBC WVIT-30. Their 1080i is so bad. It is so blocky and pixelated that its not HD-Lite.. its HD-Embarrassing. I cringe watching Sunday Night Football because the action is so fast and the picture just can't keep up. I wish I got NBC-4 HD because I have to imagine a major market like that has better HD. So anyways which of your local stations has the worst HD signal in terms of picture quality?

I have to agree that NBC Sunday Night football broadcasts are pretty pixelated. It does get pretty annoying while watching it.

NBC football on SD looks much better on SD tv than on my HDTV, I sometimes skip the game altogether I get sick by watching it, NBC should change cameras or something to fix the problem.

You mean you people do not have PBS affiliates with multicasting? Mine must have 4 subchannels
For some reason I can't get PBS, or the CW in HD for that matter... I appear to be close enough (I have a regular medium size antenna, not a roof one) and I can get stations that are further away than that...

You mean you people do not have PBS affiliates with multicasting? Mine must have 4 subchannels

4 sub channels is nothing. Our local PBS affiliate has 8 sub channels. Here is how they broadcast:

WMVS:
10-1: MPTV World
10-2: MPTV V-Me (Spanish)
10-3: MPTV Kids
10-4: MPTV Create
10-5: NWS Radar with classical music
10-6: NWS Radar with NOAA Weather Radio KEC60
10-7: NWS Radar with NPR
10-8: NWS Radar with smooth jazz music

36-1: Broadcast on a limited schedule programming in HD from Analog 10.

4 sub channels is nothing. Our local PBS affiliate has 8 sub channels. Here is how they broadcast:

WMVS:
10-1: MPTV World
10-2: MPTV V-Me (Spanish)
10-3: MPTV Kids
10-4: MPTV Create
10-5: NWS Radar with classical music
10-6: NWS Radar with NOAA Weather Radio KEC60
10-7: NWS Radar with NPR
10-8: NWS Radar with smooth jazz music

36-1: Broadcast on a limited schedule programming in HD from Analog 10.
But they have the subchannels on a digital frequency and the HD on an analog one, so the HD looks ok? Mine tries to do it all on the digital spectrum. The HD looks like crap and its 24/7. Such a waste, because PBS has some great programming.

NBC looks great here, no subchannels. CBS looks horrible here with 3 subchannels. Glad I have another CBS option than the one in my DMA.

NBC looks great here, no subchannels. CBS looks horrible here with 3 subchannels. Glad I have another CBS option than the one in my DMA.
Yeah I'm taking a sh*t on the NBC here in CT. I almost want to call them up and cut a promo on them.

Hmm.. after Sunday CBS really picked up on the voting.. did the CBS NFL HD broadcasts have anything to do with that?

I don't want to be accused of bumping, but basically I didn't want to start a new thread which basically is having the same message.

Seriously... is anyone else's NBC HD as bad as mine? I mean it is almost painful to watch this pixelated mess they are calling "1080i" on Sunday Night Football. All the camera has to do is PAN slightly and the screen breaks up.

honestly... whenever I want to watch a local program in HD, I switch to the over-the-air antenna. The quality difference is very obvious.

I'd say FOX is the worst... but I'm biased as I've been watching these ALCS night games (Tribe fan here), and the dark sky and background looks like freaking TILE. Switch to the OTA, and it's beautiful.

During the division series on TBS-HD, I don't remember any artifacts either.

I know the technologies are completely different - and that the bandwidth requirements of carrying all major locals in HD much be tremendous .... but it's still sad that my $70/mo directv service, big-honking dish, and receiver can't compete with the good ol' rabbit ears for local service.

For those of you that aren't close enough to a city to pick up OTA HD signal... I hope that DirecTV at least offers you one of the 'master' east/west coast network feeds at a decent compression rate.

Out of all the channels on that list, PBS is the only one worthy of calling best good looking PQ channel that right now I have on my HD tier.

I'd vote, but I can't say that I have watched anything on half of the available channels (most notably NBC).

Out of all the channels on that list, PBS is the only one worthy of calling best good looking PQ channel that right now I have on my HD tier.
There are three channels on my PBS feed and at one time or another, all of them suffer as a result.

For me, NBC is by far the worst, especially when it comes to sports. Notre Dame games and Sunday Night football are unwatchable, heavily pixelated and blocky. Even Friday Night Lights has terrible picture quality problems, although Saturday Night Live and the NBC nightly news casts are ok. The picture quality on CBS is great for shows such as CSI Miami, but I still get a lot of pixelation on the college football and NFL games whenever the ball is snapped, not quite as bad as NBC though.

CW is ok, Supernatural is good. FOX and ABC are pretty good as well. Although ABC's picture quality is satisfactory, it has been having audio problems lately, kind of tinny sounding, I first noticed during the OSU-Purdue game a few weeks back. FOX is hit or miss. The playoff games, especially from Cleveland, looked terrible, especially when compared against the 1080 of TBS. When it comes to NFL, it depends. The Bears-Eagles game looked good yesterday.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)