Which older model to get

Status
Please reply by conversation.

destarr

Original poster
Mar 3, 2007
My friend has Directv and I love the service, but I hate his DVR unit. I have seen that the newer ones have not faired so well, His has a severe lag time between pressing a button and getting a response from the machine.

I would love to get an older unit that has more TIVO like features. I don't want to pay extra for TIVO service but I have no way of seeing what the older sets look like.

There are several different units on Ebay and I can spend up to 200 on a new machine. I don't have a LAN line phone, but I guess there is the possibility of borrowing the neighbors for the INITIAL connection as I have read about on the install for the newer units. I need one with a DVR and I currently have a cable box from Motorola that allows me to watch a prerecorded show while I record 2 others ( dual tuner). I love this unit, but hate the price for service (coming up to $100 in June). I also have a TV in one other room and would need some way of watching satelite in there as well.

I'm fine with a unit that has been MODed, I just really do not know what models I need to look at. Don't need HD by the way.

Older Model

I have two of the DirecTivo Hughes SD-DVR40s. Pay one $5 tivo fee per month to Directv and it covers your whole account.

You can find them on ebay and take your chances. You might get a free one if you join your local "freecycle group" through yahoo.

Upgrading the hard drives are technical but not impossible. Google is your friend. Weaknees dot com is a full service provider.

Well checked out the Freecycle and found nothing locally. But I have a little concern, I have no regular telephone line. I have Verizon Dry loop and it gives no dial tone. I ran into issues about this with Dish Network when I was potentially going to go with them.

Is not having a typical LAN line going to cost me in any way, if so explain.

#2-Does Tivo services cost anything extra with the Directv service? What will I get with/without having to pay this service if it exists.

Thanks again

My friend has Directv and I love the service, but I hate his DVR unit. I have seen that the newer ones have not faired so well, His has a severe lag time between pressing a button and getting a response from the machine.

I would love to get an older unit that has more TIVO like features. I don't want to pay extra for TIVO service but I have no way of seeing what the older sets look like.

There are several different units on Ebay and I can spend up to 200 on a new machine. I don't have a LAN line phone, but I guess there is the possibility of borrowing the neighbors for the INITIAL connection as I have read about on the install for the newer units. I need one with a DVR and I currently have a cable box from Motorola that allows me to watch a prerecorded show while I record 2 others ( dual tuner). I love this unit, but hate the price for service (coming up to $100 in June). I also have a TV in one other room and would need some way of watching satelite in there as well.

I'm fine with a unit that has been MODed, I just really do not know what models I need to look at. Don't need HD by the way.

You can check out the D*TIVOs at www.weaknees.com .:welcome :hatsoff:

Well checked out the Freecycle and found nothing locally. But I have a little concern, I have no regular telephone line. I have Verizon Dry loop and it gives no dial tone. I ran into issues about this with Dish Network when I was potentially going to go with them.

Is not having a typical LAN line going to cost me in any way, if so explain.

#2-Does Tivo services cost anything extra with the Directv service? What will I get with/without having to pay this service if it exists.

Thanks again

The Tivo-based Directv DVRs need to make a phone call when first initialized and in order to authorize downloading of software updates. I believe this can be done from a phone not at your location, however. It will try to make regular phone calls (to both Directv and Tivo) and you will get a nag message, but that won't affect operation. The Directv R15 and HR20 (non-Tivo) do not require a phone line at all. Directv charges a DVR fee of $5.99/month (included with some packages) which covers all DVRs (any type) on an account. Without having DVR authorization you can watch live programs and will have a buffer, but no recording will be permitted.

My HDVR2 has been deactivated and I can still watch recorded programs on it. I'll probably try to sell it, although there isn't much of a market.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts