Which one of these descriptions best describes what you would have VOOM stand for if

Sean Mota

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
New York City
Here's the Second Part of the Poll. I do not think I can fit the entire title. Here it is:

Which one of these descriptions best describes what you would have VOOM stand for if you were in charge of generating interest in the product:

From Previous Poll. This also applies here.
I was asked by a company that works very closely with VOOM to post the following poll. Your participation in the poll is very important. I am going to pass the reports to them and these results will go directly to Mr. Dolan (believe it or not).

Sean Mota said:
Here's the Second Part of the Poll. I do not think I can fit the entire title. Here it is:

Which one of these descriptions best describes what you would have VOOM stand for if you were in charge of generating interest in the product:

From Previous Poll. This also applies here.
I was asked by a company that works very closely with VOOM to post the following poll. Your participation in the poll is very important. I am going to pass the reports to them and these results will go directly to Mr. Dolan (believe it or not).

Sean, I think another poll option should be "Affordable HD Sat. Programming". That is what I think Voom's current sales pitch reflects and I hope it continues.

"Not having to buy a Receiver, Free installation, and a nice programming package All for less than $55 per month" should be their permanent offer.

Just my 2 cents,

nc2

even though i voted #3 i say with a caveat for now..i am not sure what Voom will be with their plans in the future(bigger))

Sean wrote:
> was asked by a company that works very closely with VOOM to post the following poll. <

With all due respect to the pollsters, I think the options are ALL crappy. Not that there aren't elements in there on what's Voom's about, and what makes it great compared to the competition. But they all have serious problems, IMO.

-> VOOM is advocating for everyone's right to have access to great HDTV

Grammatically incorrect. Has nothing at all to do with people's "rights".

-> VOOM is so good it's starting a movement among HDTV lovers

Better. And true. People ARE moving to Voom from other providers, due to the greater HDTV offerings. But the emphasis is wrong. You don't want to take existing HDTV viewers away from the competition. You want to grab all the people having or thinking about getting HDTV displays, but waiting because every option previously available to them just had too anemic HiDef offerings to make it worthwhile.

Before Voom: What is there to watch in HiDef? Not much.
After Voom: So much that you need a DVR to catch it all for viewing at a convenient time. :)

-> VOOM is the only company that is dedicated and passionate about HDTV and nothing else

Not really true. If so, why not drop the SD cable channels all together, and cut the subscription rates? Voom isn't looking to become just a HiDef adjunct to your other SD providers. They want to be able to offer it all... with the emphasis and priority on HiDef first. So they really need to lose the "and nothing else".

-> VOOM makes HDTV foolproof

Am I a fool? Is that why I didn't have HDTV before Voom? Replace "foolproof" with "simple and easy", and you've made a big improvement. For folks feeling that HDTV is complex, and getting it installed would be complicated, this would be reassuring.

-> VOOM is the future of home entertainment

Maybe it is, but this isn't really saying anything. It's way too amorphous. Until there's an association in viewer's minds that the home entertainment future will BE HiDef, distiributed throughout the home, viewable anywhere at any time, etc. this doesn't speak to them.

-> VOOM is redefining the service as a critical component of HDTV

Huh? Voom had one service, but they're now redefining it in some way? Satellite-delivered HiDef is definitely the best way to get HDTV into the home right now, vastly superior to cable offerings, and Voom is way in the lead.

HDTV has had a "chicken or the egg" dilemma. Why buy an expensive HDTV display, when there's very little HiDef content available to watch on it? And why create, broadcast, and transmit HiDef content, if there are relatively few equipped to watch it? Voom is bravely taking the lead here, by focusing on HiDef, making it a priority, and offering the maximum possible array of choices. It's providing a service that's a compelling reason for those on the sidelines waiting for a reason to get into the HiDef game, to get up and jump in. It's available NOW, and with the commitment Voom has shown, will continue to get even better. Unlike the promises from the competition to add more HiDef "someday", when they have some spare bandwidth left over after providing 500 copies of every network into the LIL markets. Or when "someday" there's "more compelling" HiDef available. Sorry, Charlie.

Simply put, Voom is the ONLY provider that's made HiDef their top-priority, and is providing a LOT of it RIGHT NOW, at an attractive and very affordable price. If that's what you've been waiting for (and it IS for many viewers) then the time for waiting is over. Getting it installed is just a phone-call away, and there's no expensive equipment to buy, or long-term commitments.

Anyway, I doubt that any of this will make it to Mr. Dolan, but that's my 2 cents. If Voom is looking to get behind any of the above slogans on a marketing push, I'm afraid their results will be disappointing. None of them grabbed me, and I'm already a Voom advocate.

- Tim

VideoGrabber, that was a virtually perfect post!

Your points are all well taken and in my opinion extremely accurate.

Unfortunately the creator of the poll simply wanted to hear nice things being said about Voom, and is not really interested in honest feedback. That's too bad, because the only way a company can gain a trued perspective on public opinion (in poll form) is to present "fair and balanced" choices, and these aren't them. :)

Yeah, VideoGrabber! Very well said. A couple of thoughts after reading your post:

As you indicated in your "chicken & egg" example, VOOM is pointing the way out! :bow VOOM's slogan could be something like "Leading the way with HDTV" or "HDTV was made for VOOM." (like the old "weekends were made for Michelob")

Also, as you astutely pointed out, the best prospects for VOOM are likely to be those folks who have never owned HDTV and have been seeking a reason to justify getting one. My wife and I fit that profile perfectly! We knew we needed to upgrade from our very old TV and had been holding off to wait for HDTV. Until VOOM, there was no compelling reason to make the leap. We got VOOM, and we got HDTV. (We have been VOOMing for just 2 days and are really loving it!) :D

However, I have yet to find a single person who has even heard of VOOM. We showed our setup and VOOM to some friends last night and got jaw-dropping reactions. They walked out of here stunned - I am sure they are thinking about making the leap themselves.

There are alot of people out there that really dont know the difference between a HDTV and a HD ready TV. People arent really informed on the whole HD movement. If I were VOOM I would put out ads that explain what you need to get VOOM and actually how cheap it has become. And how cheap they are making it. Make a point of the fact that cable services already charge a rental fee for everything down to the remote. Most people dont look at the bill...and dont realize what cable charges for. People need to be informed what HDTV is and what kind of TV you really need to buy in order to bring HD in to the household.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts