Which receiver do I need for my equipment? Pics inside.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

J-Madd

Original poster
Feb 24, 2009
USA
Sorry if this has been covered a million times. I just moved into a new house and the previous owner left an old slimline dish with the LNB pictured below.

IMG_1460.jpg

I want to use this dish to install a receiver, possibly a DVR, to power 2 more TVs in a detached garage.

This next pic is how my new dish (SWM single LNB) is connected to my house where we have the wireless genie setup for 5 or 6 TVs.
IMG_1461.jpg
This appears to just be a splitter, and not sure what purpose it serves.

Can I just hook up this old dish directly to a receiver? Or what switch and receiver combo would I need to hook up my 2 TVs? The technician said something about the newer receivers needing an external power supply but I don't see where anything like that going on with my new install.

Thanks for any help.

Sorry if this has been covered a million times. I just moved into a new house and the previous owner left an old slimline dish with the LNB pictured below.

I want to use this dish to install a receiver, possibly a DVR, to power 2 more TVs in a detached garage.

This next pic is how my new dish (SWM single LNB) is connected to my house where we have the wireless genie setup for 5 or 6 TVs. This appears to just be a splitter, and not sure what purpose it serves.

Can I just hook up this old dish directly to a receiver? Or what switch and receiver combo would I need to hook up my 2 TVs? The technician said something about the newer receivers needing an external power supply but I don't see where anything like that going on with my new install.

Thanks for any help.

The LNBF on the Dish you posted a picture of is a SWM 5, it can receive signals from 99,101,103, 110, and 119 and has 8 SWM Channels. This means you can receive any Core SD service, SD Local, Core HD and Local into Local HD services. The (Pictured) splitter is being used as a grounding block, nothing else.

Each of the LNBF's 8 SWM channels can be used to power one each Satellite TUNER. Single Tuner receivers use one each SWM Channel, Double Tuner receivers (DVR's) use two each SWM Channels, a Genie DVR and Genie (Light) use 5 SWM Channels. The wireless clients use NO SWM Channels.

A Power inserter must be installed somewhere to power the SWM LNBF. You can split the single cable coming into the house multiple times to connect to your receivers, you must use the Green labelled SWM spiltters for a maximum of 8 tuners. Make sure you use the power passing side of the splitter on the feed connected to the Power Inserter. DirecTV has 1 to 2 SWM Splitters and 1 to 4 SWM Splitters.

Currently available receivers that support SWM LNBF's HR 20,21,22,23,24, H24, H25, HR34,HR44, HR54 and a D12 (SD).

John

Thanks John. I am also able to do more research now that I know the name of the Power Inserter.

So I've bought an "owned" H25 receiver, power inserter, 2 way SWM splitter (just incase needed), and terminal covers. I already have a DECA broadband adapter that was left by the previous owners, and available internet connection if that is needed for anything. I'm not looking to share this with my other home network, It will be independent of my Genie in the house.

Is there a way to have this receiver supply 2 independent TVs? Or even a way to supply 2 on the same channel? I think I meant to buy an HR25, that would be a dual tuner, but it seems the only part that is dual is the DVR, not the ability to support another TV.

I previously had Dish network with a few dual tuners, so I'm really just looking for a similar setup with this; but it seems this is not possible with DirectTv. The second TV is 50 feet away and coax is already in place.

It seems my likely options are:

- Find some way to convert HDMI to coax (not cost effective), or use RCA to coax adapter to supply the second TV; having to watch the same channel on both.
- Buy another receiver for the second TV.

If there is another option I'm not aware of, please let me know.

So I've bought an "owned" H25 receiver, power inserter, 2 way SWM splitter (just incase needed), and terminal covers. I already have a DECA broadband adapter that was left by the previous owners, and available internet connection if that is needed for anything. I'm not looking to share this with my other home network, It will be independent of my Genie in the house.

Is there a way to have this receiver supply 2 independent TVs? Or even a way to supply 2 on the same channel? I think I meant to buy an HR25, that would be a dual tuner, but it seems the only part that is dual is the DVR, not the ability to support another TV.

I previously had Dish network with a few dual tuners, so I'm really just looking for a similar setup with this; but it seems this is not possible with DirectTv. The second TV is 50 feet away and coax is already in place.

It seems my likely options are:

- Find some way to convert HDMI to coax (not cost effective), or use RCA to coax adapter to supply the second TV; having to watch the same channel on both.
- Buy another receiver for the second TV.

If there is another option I'm not aware of, please let me know.
At last check, they don't make a HR25 ... H25 yes, HR24 and H 24 yes.

Thanks all. So I could get an HR24 for the second TV, and share the DVR with both the other TV connected to the H25 via the coax network?? My understanding is that I don't need the DECA broadband adapter at all for this setup. Is that correct?

Thanks all. So I could get an HR24 for the second TV, and share the DVR with both the other TV connected to the H25 via the coax network?? My understanding is that I don't need the DECA broadband adapter at all for this setup. Is that correct?
While you wont need a DECA behind each receiver, you will indeed need a BroadBand DECA adapter to connect the DIRECTV system to the internet. connecting the HR24 to the internet via ethernet will isolated it from the Whole Home network .

While you wont need a DECA behind each receiver, you will indeed need a BroadBand DECA adapter to connect the DIRECTV system to the internet. connecting the HR24 to the internet via ethernet will isolated it from the Whole Home network .

if the recievers are both connected to the same router, they will find eachother

Well, I'm not hooking up the HR24 yet anyway, but I can hook them both to the same router via ethernet or use the DECA broadband adapter. Either is the easily done for how they will be placed.

Well, I'm not hooking up the HR24 yet anyway, but I can hook them both to the same router via ethernet or use the DECA broadband adapter. Either is the easily done for how they will be placed.
The H25 does NOT have an ethernet port. You need a BroadBand DECA with your set up if you want to connect to the internet.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts