Which Sat Co? Newbie looking for Advice

Tig98jf

Original poster
Aug 8, 2005
Ok, I know this question has been asked hundreds of times but gotta ask it again for me. I posted asking questions about the Charter DVR's and got some good answers. I have had it for almost 5 days now, and not all that thrilled with it. I am really new to some of this stuff like HD and all but I cant stand the HD channels cutting in and out like a streaming video would do on a congested internet line. Different people told me prior to getting my DVR's to just go over to Sat, for better quality, services and pricing. So here is my question. Who do I go with? This is what I want, I need it for 4 rooms, One with a regular DVR, and the Living room with HD DVR. I want all the channels, (except the Adult stuff), including all the HD channels. The other two rooms just regular recievers for my kids. I have seen where you could have one reciever but still be able to watch different stations on two different TV's. My mom has that in her house but she has a problem with the TV that doesnt have the reciever box turning channels on it or the menu popping up. Being new to this I dont know all the acronyms so be easy on me.

Thanks for the Help.

What HD programming are you interested in? If you like Tnt... E* (dishnet) has Tnt and the Voom 10 pack. D* (directtv) has Uhd and the Networks in HD (if you qualify) Both have CbsHd, Hdnet and Hdnet movies, EspnHd, DiscoveryHd and HBO and SHO Hds... Both are converting to Mpeg4 for Hd so if you buy receivers now, they will have to be changed out eventually. With both you can do what you want 4 rooms.

I definately want TNTHD, for the purpose of Nascar. Which one gives the Most HD channels currently?

The SD & HD PQ on E* is much better than on D*. There are many threads in various forums about D* selling overcompressed and bit starved HD- referred to as "HD-Lite." And E* carries more HD anyway, with the VOOM package (will be expanded to even more channels around the end of the year). The E* 942 DVR has rave reviews.

The only reason, frankly, to consider D* is if you simply MUST have the NFL Sunday ticket. Of course, all this could change in a couple of years.

You probably should look at getting a 942, which will feed 2 TV independently- 1 with HD, one SD. The other receiver could be a 522 or 625, which will feed SD to two rooms independently.

if football is important you need to go with D*, but otherwise it looks like E* as the edge for today anyways...it will be always be a back and forth battle.

I agree with Navychop. If you don't need the DVr on all four TV's you could drop the 522 oe 625 and go with a standard 322. Try calling a local retailer or stopping by thier shop. I'm sure they would be more than happy to explain everything. As far as the old Voom HD channels on Dish, you will ned a second dish for those, so again, alot depends on your location also. If I may ask, where are you located??

navychop said:
The SD & HD PQ on E* is much better than on D*. There are many threads in various forums about D* selling overcompressed and bit starved HD- referred to as "HD-Lite." And E* carries more HD anyway, with the VOOM package (will be expanded to even more channels around the end of the year). The E* 942 DVR has rave reviews.

The only reason, frankly, to consider D* is if you simply MUST have the NFL Sunday ticket. Of course, all this could change in a couple of years.

You probably should look at getting a 942, which will feed 2 TV independently- 1 with HD, one SD. The other receiver could be a 522 or 625, which will feed SD to two rooms independently.
really pq better on D* i dont have hd so i cant make comparasin there but i find E* sd picture is leaps and bounds better than D* sd pq, i guess it all in the eyes of the beholder
if youre not an nfl fan i would go for E* if you need nfl you need D*

No one knows for sure, but it looks like the Voom channels may move to another satellite by the end of the year- very rough guess. The 61.5 might not be needed for HD as they rearrange satellite assignments and phase in MPEG-4. That's part of the reason I am waiting to add the HD/Voom tier.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts