Which Sat meter to buy

tpinck

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Nov 4, 2006
I have the new Hopper 3 and hybrid LNBS which are great when aligned, unfortunately for alignment we move around a lot. I have both the western arc and eastern arc Hybrid LNBS. We are currently in a location where the western arc sat 110, 119 and 129 are blocked by trees however the eastern arc sats are visible through a hole in tree coverage. I was able to get the 61.5 sat locked in but regardless of what I try i can not get the 72 to be seen at all.

As this is not the first time I have had trouble aligning the new system, I believe it is time to get a reliable sat finder that will give me the sat names to align to. I would prefer one that has the Western Arc and the Eastern Arc sats loaded.

Will anyone point me in the right direction to which meter I should be looking at?

I have been mobile for the past 11 years and have had very little problems aligning the dishes until this upgrade to the Hopper 3.

Thanks for the replies, now I just have to convince the wife that I need to spend $600 - $700 for the meter. She is not much of a TV person, up hill battle.

Have owned several AI meter models for the past 15+ years. A quality product that is well supported.

PM me if you are interested in buying my personal AI Turbo S2 with AC charger, DC charger, USB cable. Nice cosmetic and perfect operation with good battery life. Latest firmware and satellites updated. $400 including shipping/insurance in CONUS.

Reason for selling: Upgrading to the X2 model with VSAT/ACM module.

Reactions: stardust3
A Tailgater wouldn't work at all where the OP is at the time of his post, assuming he had a compatible receiver instead of the fuller featured Hopper3 that he has. The Tailgater is a western arc only dome...

OP, how are you aligning your 1000.2 for the initial azimuth setting? The LNB arm is not a good choice unless the skew setting happens to be very close to 90 degrees. The sides of the mount are a much more accurate point to aim with. Just be careful that your compass is not affected by being to close to the metal mount.

I didn't know you needed to record 16 things at once in your camper :)

We're still using a Hopper 2 that's limited to just a 7 program max recording capacity, but our "camper" is our home, so yes, we do want to have similar services to what other folks have in their sticks and bricks homes. Our 1000.4 that can be equipped for either arc and our Hopper2 work for us...

Reactions: pattykay
Thanks.

It can actually be done with a dp42 switch and the right automatic dish

Which single LNB automatic dish will work with a DPH42? Most of them require a receiver with the supporting software installed, and the Hoppers are not among them. The roof mounted Winegard Trav'ler will work with an H3, with or without a DPH42 depending on the LNB in use, but it's basically a western arc limited 1000.2 dish. It can be manually tuned to 61.5 as I recall though.

Thanks for all the feedback and discussions. I have come to the conclusion that going to the Hopper 3 was NOT a good idea. I am going to look at going back to the Hopper 2, had no problem aligning it. My camper is my HOME and it moves around, we do not have a stick built house, sold it 11 years ago. I have looked at the carry out automatic antennas but because they only have 1 LNBF, if you are recording a programs on tuner one and another program that is on a different sat on turner 2 or 3 it would have to be switching back and forth all the time.

I wonder what it will take to switch back to the Hopper 2????

The old hopper is back. Interesting to note, the tech was not going to change the hybrid lnbf until I explained the problem and he agreed. I really did not need 16 tuners with only 1 tv. So I think I am back to a system I can Alvin as before.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)