SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
I've got 2 different dishes that I could mount on the HH120

first is a 36" Fortec dish
second is a 40x30 Primestar

I wonder what one will give better results? The 36" is round (egg shaped) and the 40x30 is oblong

I'm thinking the 36" also its lighter and will mount with no extra issues with the bracket not matching up with the shaft on the motor

The 36" round dish should give you better performance, but only by a slight amount. Assuming the efficiency factor of both dishes is the same the 36" dish has about 7% more area than the Primestar. So your 40x30 dish is approximately the equivalent of a 34.5 inch round dish.

When comparing 2 different brands, size is not the most important factor to determine which one is better. It depends on how accuraccy of the dish surface is.
Example, 1m of Patriot out performs the Fortec 1.2m ( I have both and did the comparision with a digital spectrum analyzer).
Physically, 40x30 and 36" are pretty much the same size, so you will need to test them by yourself. Quality of different brands are vary.

I've got 2 different dishes that I could mount on the HH120

first is a 36" Fortec dish
second is a 40x30 Primestar

I wonder what one will give better results? The 36" is round (egg shaped) and the 40x30 is oblong

I'm thinking the 36" also its lighter and will mount with no extra issues with the bracket not matching up with the shaft on the motor

...and the audience said...

$20 on the Primestar. :)

It's one of the molded jobs, isn't it?
Any concern about the feed horn needing to match the shape?

$20 on the Primestar. :)

It's one of the molded jobs, isn't it?
Any concern about the feed horn needing to match the shape?

yes its one of the molded Primestar dishes :)

The LNB is original with the 2 outputs

well I'm going to try the P*

Went to Lowe's since its raining out and got a 2" piece of conduit (its actually an elbow) and cut it straight. Sliced it down one side so it will fit on the shaft of the HH120 and somehow got the P* mount on it. I have it about 1/2 way down (holy crap that is tight) so I have ot get a wrecking bar to expand the mount of the dish a little bit so I can finish getting it down :)

The LNB is original with the 2 outputs
You're not gonna put an Invacom on it?
That's why I asked about the feedhorn.
Been a lot of interesting articles on this forum about such marriages.

Last night and today, I was consulting some of my more mechanical friends for advice on building an adapter plate for the Primestar.
Mostly based on the infamous Superdish foot design.
If you're gonna use the stock mount, I guess I'll save the best idea we hatched, for later.

We want pictures, of course.
And be sure to feature the local weather in the background.
I'll try to put blue skies, white clouds, and palm trees in mine. :)

You're not gonna put an Invacom on it?
nope. Dont have one. I might put a Sadoun dual on there, just gut the casing by the throat of the LNB so it fits in the 20mm slot

We want pictures, of course.
And be sure to feature the local weather in the background.
I'll try to put blue skies, white clouds, and palm trees in mine. :)

its raining right now and suppose to for the next 3 days :(
yes its raining in MN in December....strange :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)