Which sport is the WORST on the Radio?

Curling on the radio? Very neat! I love to watch the Olypics games. I set my DVR on CNBC to catch all the games I could! I'd never heard a curling match called on radio, but I'm sure it can't be as funny as what's going through my head right now! :D

THERE= a place. not here - THEIR= belongs to them - THEY'RE = short for "They Are". example: They're over there with their friends.
THEN = a point in time; not now. - THAN = used to compare things. example "Better then than now."
-Something AFFECTS you. You have an EFFECT on something

Dude, this is too funny..Sad but true. I never noticed it down "their"..:rolleyes:

I LOVE NASCAR, but it ISN'T a sport. It's an activity..albeit a VERY dangerous and fast activity. To me a sport is something you have to be in overall good shape to play

Have you ever tried driving at 190 mph inches from the next guy inches from a wall, on tracks that are NOT as smooth as you may think, In a death box at 130* +, for 3-5 hours at a time with NO breaks ???

These guys work out just like other athletes, otherwise they would never make it.

These guys are more conditioned than a lot of baseball players for sure.

Jimbo

When I listen to the radio, often times I'm doing something else such as driving or working on a project in my shop or outside. Therefore, listening requires much more careful attention and comprehension. The reason why I think Basketball and Hockey don't translate well to the radio, is simply because they are too fast paced to consistently follow audibly. The announcers for those respective sports end up sounding like an auctioneer instead of a play x play game caster.

The best sport on radio: Baseball. Not even a question.

I think hockey is fine on the radio.

Baseball can be great, alot depends on the announcer(s).
Try listening to Ernie Harwell or Vin Scully, to name a few and you will find that you are painted a very real picture of what is going on.

I also liked listening to Marty and Joe from the earlier Cincinnati Reds days.

Jimbo

Try listening to Ernie Harwell or Vin Scully, to name a few and you will find that you are painted a very real picture of what is going on.

Jimbo

Um, Jimbo..... I said I enjoy Baseball on the radio.

Exact opposite. Baseball is the best radio sport, as it has had the longest time to be crafted as an art, in that medium.

For me, golf is the worst of all sports on radio, it's not even close.

As for major sports, I would go with football being the worst on radio. Why?

Well, you have a higher concentration of downright morons that seem to be commentators. You name the network, there is at least one or 2 crews that are just awful to listen to.
OMG I didnt even know they did golf on the radio. I bet that is AWFUL!!!

Well, it's pertinent to this discussion, as I've only heard it on XM. It's just astoundingly hideous.

As a current Sirius subscriber and soon to be Sirius XM subscriber, I've heard the gambit of sports broadcast on the radio. Obviously all sports are better on television (announcers/commentators aside,) but which sports are out there that are put on radio that you just can't follow or simply can't enjoy without visual aid?

I think that NASCAR is very lacking on the radio, because there are so many participants in it at the same time and it's impossible to keep up with all that is going on by just being "told" it as it changes so quickly.

I'm a Sirius subscriber currently. Any word on when and what XM channels will be combined now that the merger has been approved?

I'm a Sirius subscriber currently. Any word on when and what XM channels will be combined now that the merger has been approved?
They need to work some things out first, but they're looking to start new pricing in the fall, and I think the new content features will start up by the end of the year.

Have you ever tried driving at 190 mph inches from the next guy inches from a wall, on tracks that are NOT as smooth as you may think, In a death box at 130* +, for 3-5 hours at a time with NO breaks ???

These guys work out just like other athletes, otherwise they would never make it.

These guys are more conditioned than a lot of baseball players for sure.

Jimbo
Anyway, of course some of them are more conditioned than baseball players. Baseball players hardly ever move. The farthest they'd ever have to run is from home plate while at bat, to home plate again..IF they hit a home run. Have YOU ever tried driving at 190 mph? So who are you to tell me squat? Jimbo..that wasn't a knock on drivers. I appreciate what they do. I'm a huge NASCAR fan (yes I know what (a few of) the tracks are like-I go to 3 different races each year-Charlotte, Martinsville and Bristol (thanks to my mother) and I completely agree it takes a different kind of person to drive a car close to 200 MPH. Sure there are a couple of guys in good shape..Carl Edwards- (who admitted working out for him is a hobby more than for on the track), Elliot Sadler- who plays basketball often (he ain't winnin' jack-crap), Mark Martin- who lifts 16 sets a day (has it helped him win races?...NO) etc., but I'd say for the most part they're just great drivers, not atheletes. If you can bench press 1000lbs or run 10 miles, it's not going to help you win races. I'd bet it has more to do with hydration and concentration. My favorite driver is Tony Stewart..Have you seen the gut on this guy? The only sit-ups he does is to grab the remote. He even called himself a fat-ass after climbing a fence (at a race I can't remember) and he's won 2 championships- explain that one. What about Jimmy Spencer? Ever heard of Morgan Shepherd? Yeah, I can see him running around a track to get in better condition and he's won a race or two. Dale Sr? Yeah right. Stock car racing has been around for YEARS and I guarantee you 50 years ago none of those drivers lifted more than a beer can. Bottom line, physiacal fitness can't hurt, but it doesn't mean you'll win races or championships-which is the point. Here's a quote from Ryan Newman who is no stranger to poles OR wins: Article: Some drivers believe physical fitness can increase endurance, but will not make one a better driver. "Yeah, I cut back on the cookies - I cut back to like five a day," Newman said. "[Driving is] definitely more physical, but it's not to that point, we're still sitting in the easy chairs if you ask me. You have to be in physical shape, don't get me wrong. But I've not lifted a single piece of iron or pumped any metal or done any push-ups the entire year. I'm not in Mark Martin shape, but I don't think that I'm giving up anything sitting in the car on lap 499." NASCAR drivers plead case - Sports

Last edited:

Jimbo

So true. Listening to Rod Allen on TV has gotten so aggravating that me and the mrs. resorted to listening on the radio and watching the tv without the sound, but that didn't work out because of the time delay between the picture and the audio from the radio. DirecTV is 5 seconds behind radio. Where'e the Rod Allen mute button on the remote, Jimbo?

Most people have misread the title of this thread as "what sports do you not like?"

As to radio:

Baseball - THE radio sport. Pure and simple.

College football - At one time not that long ago, ABC had ONE game per weekend, and most people had a relationship with their teams via statewide radio networks, with great voices, particularly in the South and midwest. Those days are mostly gone, but the sport is still a great radio sport when done well.

College basketball - Similar, generally done by the same voices.

NHL - Works well on the radio.

NFL - Its on TV and always has been. This is what I will NEVER understand about the hoopla relative to SSR.

NASCAR - Works well on the radio. But, as with the NFL, its ON TV.

NBA - "And Kobe goes and SHOOOOOOTS. He drains the J. And Lebron goes andSHOOOTS. He monks the skunk. And Kobe goes and SHOOOOOOOTS, he packs the racks." Etc for two hours. No person with an IQ over that of a chipmonk could listen for more than five seconds.

PGA - Anybody listen to this on XM. Kinda cool, but its really just a feed that people at the course can pick up to help them know what is going on. Not a radio sport.

I recently listened to tennis on the Radio.. I don't remember what the event was, but it was when Federer and Nadal had their epic match, and they had these two British guys doing the pxp, and it was surprisingly interesting. Don't forget, when you watch Tennis on television, there isn't really much pxp. They mainly talk during the breaks and in between serves, but not when they're actually playing, except maybe to comment on something, not say what is going on.

Anyways they'd say like, "Nadal backhands to the left side of Federer, Federer lobs it back to Nadal, etc etc" but it was amusing because they were so enthusiastic and they would get higher and higher as the rally went on, and I honestly felt that if they had a 12+ hit rally that one of them would pass out from lack of oxygen.

I did find it to be rather interesting though. As I said, we're basically USED to having commentators give pxp on radio and television, but imagine watching a game where there is NO commentary when the main action goes on..

I recently listened to tennis on the Radio.. I don't remember what the event was, but it was when Federer and Nadal had their epic match, and they had these two British guys doing the pxp, and it was surprisingly interesting. Don't forget, when you watch Tennis on television, there isn't really much pxp. They mainly talk during the breaks and in between serves, but not when they're actually playing, except maybe to comment on something, not say what is going on.

Anyways they'd say like, "Nadal backhands to the left side of Federer, Federer lobs it back to Nadal, etc etc" but it was amusing because they were so enthusiastic and they would get higher and higher as the rally went on, and I honestly felt that if they had a 12+ hit rally that one of them would pass out from lack of oxygen.

I did find it to be rather interesting though. As I said, we're basically USED to having commentators give pxp on radio and television, but imagine watching a game where there is NO commentary when the main action goes on..

At times, the best form of broadcasting is knowing when to let the live action and sound speak for itself.

Tap dancing. Oh wait, that's not a sport. Cricket, now that's a boring sport on TV, Radio and in person.

That's fine for TV, but in Radio it's a little harder to do this.

I agree that TV commentators some times don't know when to SHUT THE HELL UP! :)

See ya
Tony

Why? You listen with your ears. In radio, the visuals are created in your head and your imagination. The roar from a crowd and the crack of a bat is enough for any listener to feel like they are at the game themselves.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)