Which sport is the WORST on the Radio?

yourbeliefs

Something Profound
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Sep 20, 2007
Northeast
As a current Sirius subscriber and soon to be Sirius XM subscriber, I've heard the gambit of sports broadcast on the radio. Obviously all sports are better on television (announcers/commentators aside,) but which sports are out there that are put on radio that you just can't follow or simply can't enjoy without visual aid?

I think that NASCAR is very lacking on the radio, because there are so many participants in it at the same time and it's impossible to keep up with all that is going on by just being "told" it as it changes so quickly.

As a current Sirius subscriber and soon to be Sirius XM subscriber, I've heard the gambit of sports broadcast on the radio. Obviously all sports are better on television (announcers/commentators aside,) but which sports are out there that are put on radio that you just can't follow or simply can't enjoy without visual aid?

I think that NASCAR is very lacking on the radio, because there are so many participants in it at the same time and it's impossible to keep up with all that is going on by just being "told" it as it changes so quickly.
BASEBALL..It's boring whether you can see it or not. Pitch...talk for 3 minutes. Pitch...talk for 3 more minutes. Hit..foul ball, talk for 3 more minutes.,etc., etc., etc.....:confused:

Exact opposite. Baseball is the best radio sport, as it has had the longest time to be crafted as an art, in that medium.

For me, golf is the worst of all sports on radio, it's not even close.

As for major sports, I would go with football being the worst on radio. Why?

Well, you have a higher concentration of downright morons that seem to be commentators. You name the network, there is at least one or 2 crews that are just awful to listen to.

Exact opposite. Baseball is the best radio sport, as it has had the longest time to be crafted as an art, in that medium.

For me, golf is the worst of all sports on radio, it's not even close.

As for major sports, I would go with football being the worst on radio. Why?

Well, you have a higher concentration of downright morons that seem to be commentators. You name the network, there is at least one or 2 crews that are just awful to listen to.
With all respect..an art form? "Up to the plate is "X"..He is from "X"..He is batting "X". Here's the pitch!..Ball 1. How about those "X", Jim? "Oh, there great this year, Bob." (crickets chirping) "X" is having a great year on the mound." Here's the pitch!" "Foul ball." "The count is 1-1"...All you need is decent voice, stat sheets and a general knowledge of the game. IMO..I repeat in MY opinion. I will agree with you on golf, however. Has there EVER been a "sport" (golf isn't a sport, it's an activity) where people get paid so much to do so little? I LOVE NASCAR, but it ISN'T a sport. It's an activity..albeit a VERY dangerous and fast activity. To me a sport is something you have to be in overall good shape to play; basketball, football, soccer, lacrosse, tennis, rugby, etc. I'm not saying other "sports" don't require talent, because they do..but so does playing a flute, and it's not a sport.

NASCAR on the radio, on TV, in person.

On Monday,On Saturday, East coast, West coast all points between.

With Green eggs and ham
NASCAR I am.

With all respect..an art form? "Up to the plate is "X"..He is from "X"..He is batting "X". Here's the pitch!..Ball 1. How about those "X", Jim? "Oh, there great this year, Bob." (crickets chirping) "X" is having a great year on the mound." Here's the pitch!" "Foul ball." "The count is 1-1"...All you need is decent voice, stat sheets and a general knowledge of the game. IMO..I repeat in MY opinion. I will agree with you on golf, however. Has there EVER been a "sport" (golf isn't a sport, it's an activity) where people get paid so much to do so little? I LOVE NASCAR, but it ISN'T a sport. It's an activity..albeit a VERY dangerous and fast activity. To me a sport is something you have to be in overall good shape to play; basketball, football, soccer, lacrosse, tennis, rugby, etc. I'm not saying other "sports" don't require talent, because they do..but so does playing a flute, and it's not a sport.

Football can be the same way as baseball in the way you are putting it. There is a penalty and then it can take forever for them to play again.

+1 :up

BTW, I think either basketball or hockey are the worst for radio.
I gotta disagree. Basketball is tailor made for radio. A good pxp announcer can paint a picture with their words so you feel like you are right there. I prefer watching games of course, but I've listed to games on the radio before and felt like I was there.

Football can be the same way as baseball in the way you are putting it. There is a penalty and then it can take forever for them to play again.
Good point. That's why I don't watch it, either.:cool: Line up..pile up..stand up...Repeat. I can watch highlights of football and be entertained, though. I can talk about baseball in a matter-of-fact way, however. I played from Elementary through High School. Love(d) playing..hate(d) watching. Football, I never played.

+1 :up

BTW, I think either basketball or hockey are the worst for radio.

-1. You're dead on about basketball and hockey. They're sports you almost HAVE to watch to appreciate.

About hockey- millions of people across Canada and North America would listen to hockey on the radio, listening to the great Foster Hewitt.

Many people couldn't afford tickets, and TV didn't exist back then.

When I listen to the radio, often times I'm doing something else such as driving or working on a project in my shop or outside. Therefore, listening requires much more careful attention and comprehension. The reason why I think Basketball and Hockey don't translate well to the radio, is simply because they are too fast paced to consistently follow audibly. The announcers for those respective sports end up sounding like an auctioneer instead of a play x play game caster.

The best sport on radio: Baseball. Not even a question.

Joeygee0531 described the stereotypical call of Baseball announcing. When good 'ol Joe Nuxall was announcing for the Reds, there would sometimes be a whole minute going by without anything but crowd noise. Loved it! If you don't like baseball, no matter how good the announcer is, it won't make a difference. What a GOOD announcer does is draw you a word picture. Lets you know where everyone is, what they are doing, if they have time at a long at bat quite a bit of background. If you are NOT INTERESTED in the sport, nothing anyone can say or do will influence your appreciation of just how hard announcing baseball WELL is. But as a sport, the pacing and spacing of baseball is what makes it great for radio. I prefer to LISTEN to a game than watch it. The depth of the imagery provided by a good radio announcer is better than the highest definition picture broadcast on TV! :)

NASCAR announcers do a great job trying to follow the action, but at times it is just impossible to "see" the race through the radio. There simply isn't time to get an adequate word picture drawn. You really have no idea what is going on during starts, restarts, pit-races, etc. They really give it a go and in general I think it couldn't be done any better, but it doesn't lend itself to radio.

Football can also be good on radio, but as usual it depends on the announcer. Again there isn't enough time for the announcer to draw the picture of everything that is happening during a single play most of the time, but the gaps between the plays can and is usually used to fill in the sketch the announcer made during the play. The actual call of the play is very basic, but what sets announcers apart is how they fill in those gaps.

Hockey on the other hand is very difficult for me to follow on the radio. The game moves very fast while "nothing" is happening. By nothing here I mean the puck is being fought for in a very good game by both teams between the blue lines. The announcers keep up very well, but the game just moves too fast for them to adequately tell you who is where, what they are doing and what is actually happening.

I do not care for basketball so just like some here and baseball, I do not like it on the radio, but that is not because I think it's "the worst sport on Radio". I just don't like the sport (NBA) in general. I do listen to NCAA (Univ. of Cinci and XU as well as some high school). I think the game suffers from the same problem as hockey most of the time and the announcers just don't have the time to draw that word picture.

One of my favorite quotes from "The West Wing"
I think Americans like to savor situations: "One down, bottom of the 9th, one run game, first and third, left-handed batter, right hand reliever, infield at double play depth. Here's the pitch ..."

Scoring in hockey - it seems to come out of nowhere! "Lepetia passes to Huckenchuck, who skates past the blue line .. Huckenchuck, of course, was traded from Winnipeg for a case of Labatts after sitting out the last season with -- Oh my God, he scores!

See ya
Tony

Joeygee0531 described the stereotypical call of Baseball announcing. When good 'ol Joe Nuxall was announcing for the Reds, there would sometimes be a whole minute going by without anything but crowd noise. Loved it! If you don't like baseball, no matter how good the announcer is, it won't make a difference. What a GOOD announcer does is draw you a word picture. Lets you know where everyone is, what they are doing, if they have time at a long at bat quite a bit of background. If you are NOT INTERESTED in the sport, nothing anyone can say or do will influence your appreciation of just how hard announcing baseball WELL is. But as a sport, the pacing and spacing of baseball is what makes it great for radio. I prefer to LISTEN to a game than watch it. The depth of the imagery provided by a good radio announcer is better than the highest definition picture broadcast on TV! :)

NASCAR announcers do a great job trying to follow the action, but at times it is just impossible to "see" the race through the radio. There simply isn't time to get an adequate word picture drawn. You really have no idea what is going on during starts, restarts, pit-races, etc. They really give it a go and in general I think it couldn't be done any better, but it doesn't lend itself to radio.

Football can also be good on radio, but as usual it depends on the announcer. Again there isn't enough time for the announcer to draw the picture of everything that is happening during a single play most of the time, but the gaps between the plays can and is usually used to fill in the sketch the announcer made during the play. The actual call of the play is very basic, but what sets announcers apart is how they fill in those gaps.

Hockey on the other hand is very difficult for me to follow on the radio. The game moves very fast while "nothing" is happening. By nothing here I mean the puck is being fought for in a very good game by both teams between the blue lines. The announcers keep up very well, but the game just moves too fast for them to adequately tell you who is where, what they are doing and what is actually happening.

I do not care for basketball so just like some here and baseball, I do not like it on the radio, but that is not because I think it's "the worst sport on Radio". I just don't like the sport (NBA) in general. I do listen to NCAA (Univ. of Cinci and XU as well as some high school). I think the game suffers from the same problem as hockey most of the time and the announcers just don't have the time to draw that word picture.

One of my favorite quotes from "The West Wing"

See ya
Tony
Great explanation. I can see everyone's point. Even as a huge NASCAR and college basketball fan (see avatar), I can appreciate the fact some people will NEVER be caught dead watching/listening to a race or tuning in to watch a basketball game, whether on the radio or the TV. You're exactly right; no matter who's calling it, if you don't like the sport, you won't watch or listen. Good commentary, guys! PS-Watching a LIVE game in Cameron Indoor Stadium (yes, I have) would make the Devil himself like college basketball. UNBELIEVABLE!..

Baseball? Are you kidding me?

My choice would be chess. Yes, I wrote chess. Last year in one of our threads (I think about something, somebody said in another sportscast) the poster said he was fired for something unfortunate he said during a CHESS broadcast. Talk about dead air to fill... Seriously, CHESS.

I'd have to say curling was the worst sport for radio. For that matter it's the worst sport for TV as well. I can't believe it's in the olympics. A close second would be the two man luge. Baseball is my favorite sport for radio.

I wouls have to say hockey. With baseball with some good radio announcers its very easy to visualize baseball, for hockey its tough for me.

Fox August 8th Baseball GOTW Lineup

Strangest things you remember during a live broadcast

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)