White line down the side of display

mrschwarz

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
May 17, 2004
I got a new Samsung LCD TV and upgraded to a ViP722. I am pretty sure that the problem I am having is with the station, but you guys are pretty smart and hopefully can offer some suggestions on how to get this resolved

The local Dallas NBC affiliate has a bright white line running up the absolute left side of the screen. It appears to only be a few pixels wide. No other channel has it. In fact, when the station goes from network to local feed, the white line goes away.

I have an outside antenna and the white line is the same off the air as it is over Dish. Is this a problem with my receiver, TV set or the station itself? This has been going on for a least a week. I was out of town and only noticed it a couple of days ago.

Thanks for any suggestions you can make.

It's called overscan

I am far from an expert on the technical side of this issue, however I ran into it when I recently purchased a brand new LCD TV. Basically the signal being sent is a pixel or two shy of the actual size of your TV. I see it most often on my OTA SD content where I get some lines at the very top and occasionally a solid line on OTA HD content on my NBC channel.

Only solution I have was go into the settings of my tv and adjust the aspect ratio. Mine has a "fill" setting that proportionately zooms the screen about 5%. So I loose a little bit of the image, but not enough to notice or affect quality. I have been tryng to find a service code to allow me to go in and tweak that setting, but so far have not been successful.

Otherwise, nothing you can do about it.

Overscan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I have the same problem with channel 5, the white line is only there on their network programming, and does not appear on local programming such as the news. Since I have a front projector, I just adjusted the size of the picture so that the white line is hidden by the black boder on the screen. Since you are seeing it on your LCD TV, you must have the TV set for 0% overscan (pixal by pixal mode). You can get rid of the line by changing the setting on your TV to a small amount of overscan (the adjustment should be in one of the user menues). On some TVs the adjustment is part of the aspect ratio settings. I have also seen a white line on the right side of some of the programs on MHD.

Welcome HOME to SatelliteGuys!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)