Who do I complain to about a POOR installation?

sooner_luvr

Original poster
Sep 24, 2006
There may be nothing that can be done, but after the 5.5 hour installation I went into the attic and there is a double coax cable running down the middle of my attic suspended at about 3 feet in the air pulled very tight (with a lot of tension) and 3 or 4 cables crossing over this cable. This is in my storage area, not in some other area over the house where I never go.

This was a Dish Mover install and I contacted DN directly to set this up. Can I have a install supervisor come and look at this? How is the best way to handle this?

Thanks!

What satellites did you have installed and how many/what type of recievers do you have? Just trying to get a feel for how long it SHOULD have taken... I think I've spent over five hours at a location ONCE in two years. And that was because I went out and BOUGHT myself a 32' ladder that day.

But yeah, that cable run sounds pretty tacky. I would have at the very LEAST attached all cables to the ceiling or run them along the corners of the floor (for a storage area).

Didn't you watch them while thy were doing this?

I would have watched them like a hawk. And, who signed certifying that the install was satisfactory?

Yes, I'd contact the install company's supervision.

That's what I was gonna ask the OP, was the location of dishes, where to run the cables, etc. discussed with the installer before he even started? Like Mike said, you have to watch them like a hawk. It's your house and you need to watch what they're doing.

Yes, you can complain but this could've been avoided. Just my 2 cents.

This guy has to learn that he is not installing clothes line. Enough slack needs to be left in the cable to keep it out of the way.

I just hate installs, where the installer lays the cable on the ground in a crawl space. It's just rat and mouse bait to be knawed.

Sounds like this was a "new" house that was "prewired" so hard to say without knowing more info, and we shouldn't be so quick to judge a bad job by the installer ?????

Actually, it doesn't sound like this was a pre-wired issue at all. Upon purchasing the alleged 'new' house, I would imagine the customer would inspect all areas of his new home before calling for satellite to be installed. He would have seen the clothes-line cable run, and would not be blaming it on the sat tech.

I don't smear penut butter on my cable runs, so I don't think that vermin would mistake them for lunch... Even in the dirtiest of crawlspaces. The only vermine damage I've experienced in 1000+ installs is an arial run from a tree to the roof (yes, the dish was installed IN a TREE, and NO, I did NOT put it there, lol). Some squirell had nibbled until they got a shock in several places.

Thanks for all of the responses.

This is a new house, but not prewired (well, it was wired for cable in 2 rooms, but those outlets were in the wrong place). He installed the dish on the side of the house, towards the back of the house. I have 2 - dual tuner recivers (one is 522, not sure about the other). So 4 rooms had to be ran.

I should have kept an eye on it, but was too busy with everything else. The Dish installer IS the one who ran the "clothes line" (which is a very accurate description) across the middle of my attic.

Where should I go from here? Who should I contact? Dish Network? I'm not even sure who the company was that Dish sent out to make the install. I know, I know - I should know this, but I don't.

Thanks.

sooner_luvr said:
Thanks for all of the responses.

This is a new house, but not prewired (well, it was wired for cable in 2 rooms, but those outlets were in the wrong place). He installed the dish on the side of the house, towards the back of the house. I have 2 - dual tuner recivers (one is 522, not sure about the other). So 4 rooms had to be ran.

I should have kept an eye on it, but was too busy with everything else. The Dish installer IS the one who ran the "clothes line" (which is a very accurate description) across the middle of my attic.

Where should I go from here? Who should I contact? Dish Network? I'm not even sure who the company was that Dish sent out to make the install. I know, I know - I should know this, but I don't.

Thanks.

What you want to do is ask for a FSM/Lead Tech to come out to inspect the install.
Tell them you are not satisfied with the work and you want it fixed, it is as simple as that.

sooner_luvr said:
There may be nothing that can be done, but after the 5.5 hour installation I went into the attic and there is a double coax cable running down the middle of my attic suspended at about 3 feet in the air pulled very tight (with a lot of tension) and 3 or 4 cables crossing over this cable. This is in my storage area, not in some other area over the house where I never go.

This was a Dish Mover install and I contacted DN directly to set this up. Can I have a install supervisor come and look at this? How is the best way to handle this?

Thanks!
Why would not just call the same number you called to setup the install?
If you ordered something from Amazon and it wasn't right would you post in an Amazon thread before you called them directly?
Venting is one thing, but asking questions you already know the answer too, is a waste of time.

dslate69 said:
Why would not just call the same number you called to setup the install?
If you ordered something from Amazon and it wasn't right would you post in an Amazon thread before you called them directly?
Venting is one thing, but asking questions you already know the answer too, is a waste of time.

An even bigger waste of time is for me, and everyone else, to read your condescending rant. Dish Network CS has been less than helpful, I was wondering if there was an alternative, more effective route I should take. I take it by your simplistic answer that if there is another method, you are not aware of it.

Thanks to all of the other posters for the useful information.

sooner_luvr said:
An even bigger waste of time is for me, and everyone else, to read your condescending rant. Dish Network CS has been less than helpful, I was wondering if there was an alternative, more effective route I should take. I take it by your simplistic answer that if there is another method, you are not aware of it.
Sorry if you thought that was a rant. I'll rant sometime and show you the difference.
The simplistic answer is the only answer. Now while you may call and ask for a FSM/Lead Tech, you could also call and ask for Charlie. I like many others had a less than sufficient first install. So like everyone else we picked up the phone and told the person on the other end what we weren't happy about, whether it was signal strength, unburied cable, where the dish was mounted, cable pulled tight in the attic, whatever it was. You know what, I haven't read one post where DISH said "Tough".

I had 2 installs go bad. Not a cable run problem but 2 different installers forgot to tighten the bolts on the dish. My solution was to go up and fix it myself. I would have done it myself in the first place but they would'nt let me. You can always get it done exactly the way you want it--if you do it (or re-do-it) yourself.

Satellite 129 signal strength increase?

Very annoying issue with 3.63 on 622

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)