Who has totally left major tv providers?

I’m just counting down the years till I turn 60 in about 4 years and 5 months. Then I can quit working and retire . I can supplement from my Roth IRA and my wife’s Roth IRA with my wife’s pension and my pension to tide us over, till Social security kicks in at 62 and I’m taking it early. Then wait 5 years and she can collect her full social security at age 67. I just want the luxury of knowing I don’t have to do ANYTHING if I don’t want to. Been working since 1978 when I turned 16. Would love to be able to spend time with my wife. We only get to see each other about 6 hours a day Mon - Friday and on weekends when I’m off , she’s at work. We have been on opposite shifts for most of our married life , since my son was born almost 18 years ago. He is leaving for the Marines in September of this year ,after he graduates high school in June and turns 18 in July. Soon will be empty nesters.

In the dot com boom days, it looked like I could retire at 60, too.......
Well I hope I still can , but I won't know till I actually reach that age and assess all that I face then. IF I have to then I work till 62 and then collect Social Security January of the next year. I would be 62 and 1/2 years old then. Either way I will retire in the next 4 - 6 years.

I will get my Safeway pension from my first job at 62 also , so I will have my TDCJ-Id state pension I have now, my Safeway pension and then Social Security too. That will be about what I am living on now , maybe a little more. My wife will only have her state pension and Social security, so we will wait till she is 67 to get her full social security check. Also expect to inherit a good amount of cash when and if my parents go . They are in their mid to late 70s and are in good health. Last time I checked my dad had over $800,000 in his retirement Ira and they live on their social security checks and only take out what they have to by law to avoid any fees. My dad loves to talk to his broker and acts like he is a big wig in making his trades and buys.

I’m just counting down the years till I turn 60 in about 4 years and 5 months. Then I can quit working and retire . I can supplement from my Roth IRA and my wife’s Roth IRA with my wife’s pension and my pension to tide us over, till Social security kicks in at 62 and I’m taking it early. Then wait 5 years and she can collect her full social security at age 67. I just want the luxury of knowing I don’t have to do ANYTHING if I don’t want to. Been working since 1978 when I turned 16. Would love to be able to spend time with my wife. We only get to see each other about 6 hours a day Mon - Friday and on weekends when I’m off , she’s at work. We have been on opposite shifts for most of our married life , since my son was born almost 18 years ago. He is leaving for the Marines in September of this year ,after he graduates high school in June and turns 18 in July. Soon will be empty nesters.

In the dot com boom days, it looked like I could retire at 60, too.......

My wife and I have another 30-35 years before retirement. We're banking what we can NOW for retirement since having it there for a few decades will help a LOT in the long run. My employer matches up to 4% in my 401k, and my wife is getting the max match out of her employer (don't remember the amount). We're still living like poor college students, even though our income has increased and most of our student loans are paid off. Our hobbies are cheap, and to keep from derailing this thread too much, our tv watching is low-cost.:biggrin

We've only ever had pay-tv as part of a tv/internet package to keep prices lower. We had Netflix for a while, supplementing it with free Hulu and Windows Media Center for an OTA DVR. Now we have HBONow (nearly $16/month after tax), the cheapest DramaFever subscription ($12 annually), OTA, and FTA. I have Amazon Prime for the fast shipping, but haven't watched anything on there yet. All of these are through a home-built PC connected to a Sam's Club clearance TV.

Overall I've probably spent $700-800 of FTA equipment over the years, let's say $25/month since I got into the habit, and around $400 on OTA over the past decade. That's a heck of a lot cheaper than any pay-tv service.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
so I was able to login onto the firetv app for DTV now using a DirecTV log in. Looks good, DVR isn't working. Laggy in the guide, but the view is nice and no lag at all.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts