Who has totally left major tv providers?

IcEWoLF

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 31, 2006
Nevada
Just cancelled Directv, disconnected two days ago and no more offers for my account...tried the directv now and it’s decent but no dvr. The guide and the menu seem weird and it doesn’t look as good as psvue.

I am thinking about getting the Apple TV 4K HDR, it’s a bit expensive but I think it might be worth it since the amount of savings I will amount over a period of time over traditional tv service.
Thoughts?

Reactions: robertjm
Over a year ago.

I've tried the over the top services.

I'd recommend ps vue. Overall it seems to be the best.

For my use anyway.

I dropped Cox Cable over a year ago. PS Vue is the only service I've tried and used since. None of the others meet my needs on paper, so not worth the bother. I do have a PS4, which makes for a better experience with Vue.

Depends, can you get an Antenna? Do you need to watch a ton of sports cable news and current cable shows? You can get by with services like Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, and Pluto.

Sorry, didn't see you had already tried vue.

The only problem I had with Vue is the shows were 3-4 minutes behind...for me that’s a deal breaker when watching news when it’s 8:30 and the Tv show at the bottom is few minutes behind. For live tv such as sports that to me is a deal breaker. The DTV Now the time is perfect.

Let I tried Vue was half year ago, maybe 8 months not sure if they improved in that aspect.

We cancelled Metrocast cable in 2013 and went with OTA, FTA and Netflix. We have 30-something OTA channels, FTA Ku and C band satellite and Netflix.

I know that OTA and FTA unfortunately isn't an option where you live, but the thread title asked who's left major TV providers, so.... We've been very happy with our TV setup, much, much more than when we had cable. :)

I'm OTA and FTA totally. No TV bills. I have internet and the free viewing like PlutoTV, but no Hulu or Netflicks. I have a 12TB video library as well :)
But FTA is a hobby and if I were to use the money I spend on my hobby for TV I could have everything on Dish or Direct I wanted. ;)

In June of this year. Installed an outside antenna system, and am OTA tv with a Tivo Roamio I bought a few years ago with the money from when I sold the free Sony Playstation I got from Dish referrals (LOL). We also share Netflix, paid for by my son.

We don't miss paid tv much at all. At worst, if there's any cable shows you truly can't do without, you just have to wait a bit for it to end up on Netflix.

The only problem I had with Vue is the shows were 3-4 minutes behind...for me that’s a deal breaker when watching news when it’s 8:30 and the Tv show at the bottom is few minutes behind. For live tv such as sports that to me is a deal breaker. The DTV Now the time is perfect.

Let I tried Vue was half year ago, maybe 8 months not sure if they improved in that aspect.
In my experience with both both of those, sling, and hulu all seem to be about the same with timing, and all are behind sat, with sat generally behind cable.

I got the Apple 4K tv yesterday and the controls are ass on DTV now, like bringing the guide, navigation is total crap! The Apple remote is decent but that touchpad totally sucks, half the times it doesn’t properly respond and there seems to be a weird delay...

I like apples interface and how smooth it is, but the benefits stop there.

The remote is killing it for me, not sure how much it’s apple fault or directv now fault.

PS Vue since February.

Tried DirecTV Now, no DVR was the deal breaker.

As far as a delay in shows 3-4 minutes behind, never noticed or cared, I can put up with it since the cost is only $34.99 ( grandfathered) a month which is less then my equipment fees alone that I was paying to Comcast.

Reactions: Zookster
A 3-4 minute delay sounds like a bit of an exaggeration based on my experience with PlayStation Vue since June of 2016. I often watch football games on the antenna in one room and on PS Vue in another, and at most it's a 60 second time difference. I just ran a test with this morning's college football game on Fox comparing OTA to PS Vue on PS4 and Roku. There was a 36 second delay on PS4 and a 48 second delay on Roku.

A 3-4 minute delay sounds like a bit of an exaggeration based on my experience with PlayStation Vue since June of 2016. I often watch football games on the antenna in one room and on PS Vue in another, and at most it's a 60 second time difference. I just ran a test with this morning's college football game on Fox comparing OTA to PS Vue on PS4 and Roku. There was a 36 second delay on PS4 and a 48 second delay on Roku.

I did the same with CNN since it has the time on the bottom, 28 second delay.

That was my experience almost 8 months ago if you re-read it, haven’t tried since, so maybe things have improved. Locals were bad too.

Enjoy OTA, took DirectvNow, (share with dad) Netflix (share with mom) Pluto, not to mention free apps on Roku Premiere. Smithsonian Channel full length shows are good, PBS has the entire Vietnam series recently aired all for free on demand thru their app. Just have to choose your local ststion so they show regional content. Had Sling, just didnt have certain channels. I take savings and am going to purchase DVR and I enjoy the MLB.com at bat every year for the sucky Reds..but love watching many games. $112 a yr vs. $199 on Comcast..no brainer. Happy and saving a lot!!

That was my experience almost 8 months ago if you re-read it, haven’t tried since, so maybe things have improved. Locals were bad too.
As I mentioned in my post, I've been a PlayStation Vue subscriber since June 2016 and frequently watch football on antenna and PS Vue simultaneously in separate rooms and have never encountered more than a 1 minute delay (antenna was usually ahead by only one play). When I compared cable TV to PlayStation Vue during my trial in spring of 2016, the delay was only about a minute as well.

Directv now doesn’t have a single local for me... don’t feel like getting an OTA for it either...cord cutting takes a bit more effort, also missed Sunday night football since directv now doesn’t have it and can’t use the app to stream it.

I tested Ps Vue, the delay times now are minimal compared to what use to be, 15-20 seconds, that works for me, but navigating is a PiTA with the Apple TV.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts