Who is having problems with HDMI with 211/411/622

My 622 HDMI worked for the first 5 or 6 weeks, then...nothing! This is frustrating, but not as frustrating as when the 622 re-boots in the middle of live and pre-recorded programs.

My 622 HDMI port stopped outputting as soon as the L359 update arrived..I have trouble believing this is a hardware issue, but I can't prove that. I'm kinda pissed right now about this :mad:

sclaws said:
My 622 HDMI port stopped outputting as soon as the L359 update arrived..I have trouble believing this is a hardware issue, but I can't prove that. I'm kinda pissed right now about this :mad:
I noticed that mine updated to 3.59 (on my TV2) on Wed., but I did not verify that the HDMI on my primary TV1 is still working - no time for TV these days. Now you have me worried! Per my earlier post in this thread (#28), I think we have identified 3 root cause categories, 1 SW and 2 HW related. Maybe this latest HDMI loss with a SW update could be a 4th...!

Some days it's one step forward and two steps back...!

BRgds all - have a great weekend.

EDIT 6-28-06 - HDMI is still working about 1 week after 3.59 update...

Last edited:
HDMI port switches

jynx said:
CochiseGuy said:
I hooked up the HDMI about a week after I received my 211. When installed it was on component. Now HDMI to 2 port HDMI switch to HDMI>DVI output cable from the switch to my HDTV's single HDCP compliant DVI input and OTA digital channels.

What switch? I thought these didn't work with some cable/satellite HDMI boxes. I'll have three HDMI outputs when my 211 arrives and only one input on TV. Started looking at new receiver with video switching, but wife's not too happy (existing one's only two years old) and price of some of those are more than a good plasma.
jynx

I have a monoprice manual hdmi switcher (the dvd is not used as frequently as the tv and I have to go there to put the dvd in anyway)

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...cs_id=1011001&p_id=2786&seq=1&format=2&style=

It is about $27 and works just fine. No remote but I have 25 of those already. I switch between my samsund hd845 dvd player and my dish 211.

regards
Mukund

David_Levin said:
Currently, there's very little consumer hardware that can copy hi-def analog.

Yeah, it seems like if they're going to try to control piracy from the hardware side, why not just eliminate analog INPUTS from HD recorders?

The new Matrox RT.X2 editing board will capture analog componant HD to MPEG-2 at 4:2:2 color sampling. (Higher than HDV cameras) But it's a $2000 computer card that requires a system with a minimum of 1GB Ram and a Athlon X2 4800+ CPU. It's NOT something to worry about from a consumer copy protection standpoint.

Even so, I imagine there are other options. My current SD Matrox board won't capture Macrovision encrypted DVDs through the analog inputs.

David_Levin said:
I hate to add to an out of topic reply, but I believe your answer is incorrect (have you tried it personally?.)

Yes, the HD DVD format has an option to downrez the component outputs if the flagging of the DVD requires it.

Most studies have agreed not to set the flag at this time. If Hi-DEf copying of the unprotected analog component output becomes a problem they'll probably activated the flag.

Currently, there's very little consumer hardware that can copy hi-def analog.

Last I herd Disney was a hold-out on wanting to activate the protection flag (but that was a few months ago).

Edit: Did a few minutes of searching... looks like Disney was one of the first studios to NOT activate the down-rez flag (for now).

This was info from the Crutchfield site.

According to a deal reached in mid-January 2006, the eight-company consortium behind AACS will require hardware makers to include the capability to "downrez" (limit the resolution) of high-definition signals sent from players to TVs via analog connections — including component video. Downrezzing wouldn't occur automatically, but would be triggered if the player recognized a "downrez flag" (called an Image Constraint Token) on a high-definition movie disc.

The decision to include or not include this flag will be completely up to each movie studio (several studios have already announced that they will not include the flag). High-def discs can provide video with 1920 x 1080 resolution, but downrezzed analog signals would be converted to 960 x 540, which is closer to standard DVD than to high-def. This means that full high-definition signals will only be reliably available via secure digital connections such as HDMI.

So, if you're currently shopping for an HDTV, be sure to get one with at least one HDMI input, as that will be the preferred video connection going forward.

I see where it says "several" studios will probably not use the flag but you know as well as I do that eventually they will all use it as soon as DVD HD recorders hit the market.

Last edited:
I can't tell you how much this burns my ass.

So, let me ask everyone a really stupid question: is there a way around this? Is it possible, for instance, for some tech head to construct and adapter with say a component female head that would go into a male HDMI port? Or are we talking apples and oranges here?

I mean, really--this is worse than having to buy a set top box for your analog set once the digital switch is thrown. Don't get me wrong--I'm not against digital per se, but this just seems downright unAmerican!

I received my replacement 411 today. HDMI is working fine; knock on wood. The old receivers rigged set-up worked until I unhooked it.

HDMI Bad

My 211 HDMI Went out i emailed tech support they sent me a new one and the new had problems of its own. The power button would not work so i had to send that one back and i am waiting on another replacement. Right now in using componet connections which seems fine but would like the Hdmi working because its there.

I’ve already replied in another thread about 211 woes....but the short version here.
Mine went to the satellite in the sky today, expecting new birth of a new 211 within 2 days.

DSKinTX said:
I received my replacement 411 today. HDMI is working fine; knock on wood. The old receivers rigged set-up worked until I unhooked it.

Today the audio over HDMI stopped working. Nothing could get it back. IMO these receivers are junk!:mad:

HDMI vs. DVI on the 622

samiwax said:
Maybe this is just a syntax problem on my end but for what its worth my 622 has NO HDMI only a DVI.
My TV only accepts HDMI and I was told I needed to purchase a DVI to HDMI conversion cable. Am I misinformed?
Thanks SAM
I have a 622 that has an HDMI socket - its only digital HD output - on the rear panel. It's labeled "HD Digital Output" but it is an HDMI-compliant socket. For that one I use an HDMI to HDMI cable to my Sony TV.

My 811 has only the DVI socket. For that receiver I needed a DVI to HDMI cable to that same TV.

Last edited:
I've sent email to ceo@echostar.com with no responses about this problem :( Not interested just yet in sending the 622 back since I have a bunch of saved pgms I dont want to lose, there is no fix, and component looks as good as HDMI did for the most part, but they HAVE to address this! I dont know what more to do about it :mad:

Last edited:
jonesbruce91361 said:
...Is it possible, for instance, for some tech head to construct and adapter with say a component female head that would go into a male HDMI port? Or are we talking apples and oranges here?...
Apples and oranges. HDMI is digital; component is analog...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)