Who is responsible for networks in HD...Dish or the network?

burtburt69

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 6, 2006
All of my local networks are in HD except NBC. Every time I call or write and ask them when they'll switch to an HD broadcast, they say their broadcast is in HD in the local area (they are 275 miles from me in Great Falls) and that Dish is the reason I'm not getting it in HD. Of course, when I call Dish they tell me that the network isnt giving them an HD feed to relay to me. Who is telling the truth? And what kind of network doesn't broadcast in HD in this day and age??

Dish and the channel has to reach a retransmission consent agreement, sd and HD are two different agreements so you could see the sd channel but not the HD version. So one side, the other or both are responsible for Dish not being able to provide it to you. Historically, Dish has taken a stand to keep prices down and will not pay what they deem as unfair (this could be any number of reasons, but Dish uses this most times). Without checking as to which channel you refer to, most likely the NBC wants too much money, or they have a sub channel they want Dish to transmit as well. You could check with a local retailer and they may be able to give you a good idea as to what the reason may be. Who is responsible? It could be either or both.

I did a little digging and Dish is the one telling you the truth. The NBC affiliate in Great Falls, KBGF-LP, is a low power, analog station. It is a sister station of KTVH in Helena, MT. Since it is low power, it was not required to switch to digital. Hence, there is no HD, just analog SD. Same goes for Great Falls PBS station, KUSM.

See third paragraph up from bottom of page:

http://www.beartoothnbc.com/about-our-story.html

Also:

http://www.aeidish.com/programming/dish-hd-local-channels/montana/greatfalls-mt-dish-network

Burt, I also get the Great Falls channels (live in Cascade) and I emailed them about six months back and was basically told what KAB replied, they said they did not have to go HD and were not sure if or when they would. I do know that at as far as the PBS station, they have been doing fundraisers trying to get enough money to go HD.

The market we are in is Tyler/Longview and I was told by the station managers that they send the signal to DISH in HD and DISH is the one not retransmitting it even though their agreement states that they can send the signal in HD. I know the reason though is no spotbeam space.

This is why we "moved". :D

Same goes for Great Falls PBS station, KUSM.

the PBS station is in HD...also the dish site says that too

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 161
I'd love to get our local PBS in HD (which is WMHT, channel 17 out of Albany NY). I'm too far away for OTA. This is the only major local that is not HD on Dish. Does anyone have any info on WMHT HD becoming available on Dish?

Last edited:
So this brings me to a question. I live over 60 miles away from my ABC and FOX station and can't receive them OTA with the antenna I have. But the NBC station is a little over 33 miles away and I receive it. My CBS station is about the same distance away and I can't get a clear "lock" on the digital signal. Basically ABC and FOX come from a different direction. Can't receive PBS locally even though it is only 30 miles away. Very confusing. Yet, all these channels I have just mentioned are considered in my local market (Charleston-Huntington WV) Wonder if my antenna needs a rotor?! Have a preamp on it. But I get all these stations on my Dish. Very strange.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)