Who Killed the Great American Cable-TV Bundle?

Nope not prioritizing the traffic, as long as the ISP allows any content provider to install a caching server inside the network AT THE CONTENT PROVIDERS EXPENSE, the ISP is treating all content providers equally, the choice is made by the content provider.

By your logic since CDNs operate in much the same way CDNs violate NN.
I only know what I know...and such a plan violated net neutrality...when I say ISP..not some small podunk cable company but a large multinational corporoation that handles a large chunk of the worlds internet traffic

Sent from my SM-G950U using the SatelliteGuys app!

Actually they would be prioritizing..it would give customers faster service than the otherguys...some large telecommunication company wanted to install cache servers for Netflix...of course at Netflix expense. Because the servers would be one per central office..they could offer higher bit rates while cutting back on backbone traffic...Netflix could offer 4k much easier than youtube..example only..not reality. Under net neutrality all competitors would have had to been offered the same service creating a financial hardship for the telecommunications company. .that is not an issue now

Unfortunately for your argument, that is not what prioritization means as a technical or legal term.

Reactions: TheKrell and AZ.
Busting Two Myths About Paid Prioritization

"ISPs and their advocates rely on lawmakers and the public not knowing the subtle and technical distinction between “paid prioritization,” “CDNs,” and “reasonable network management” in order to appear pro-net neutrality. A law without a ban on paid prioritization is net neutrality in name only."

Reactions: TheKrell and AZ.
I only know what I know...and such a plan violated net neutrality...when I say ISP..not some small podunk cable company but a large multinational corporoation that handles a large chunk of the worlds internet traffic

That plan does not violate NN. How do I know that? Because that plan was in use by NetFlix and various CDNs when NN was the law of the land, and is still in use today. Just because various large ISPs (cough, cough Verizon) refused the Netflix servers doesn't mean the putting them inside the network violated NN. IMO those ISPs refused the caching servers to allow them to show inflated peering numbers and convince the FCC to eliminate NN.

FYI, I work as a Network Engineer and have worked with small podunk ISPs on plans like this.

The reality of the situation is the ISPs, most of which were cable companies, were fine with NN, which was the default state -- the way the Internet was setup to begin with, until someone came along and started competing with their cash-cow video line of business.

That plan does not violate NN. How do I know that? Because that plan was in use by NetFlix and various CDNs when NN was the law of the land, and is still in use today. Just because various large ISPs (cough, cough Verizon) refused the Netflix servers doesn't mean the putting them inside the network violated NN. IMO those ISPs refused the caching servers to allow them to show inflated peering numbers and convince the FCC to eliminate NN.

FYI, I work as a Network Engineer and have worked with small podunk ISPs on plans like this.
I know

So what is prioritization?

Prioritization is when a network engineer configures the network to send certain data packets through faster than others. This necessarily means the other packets will traverse the network slower than the "priority" packets. The problem isn't necessarily that some packets go faster, but rather that the other packets go slower as a result. Prioritization is a feature of many networks, and in and of itself is not so much the problem. For instance, you probably don't want a bunch of pings (are you there? Yes. Ok thanks) to slow down traffic like voip phone calls or YouTube, so pings are generally among the first things to get dropped when the network is busy. Everyone expect this. It is normal.

Paid Prioritization is when a third party pays for their traffic to traverse your network faster. The resulting slowing down of everyone else's traffic is the problem here. If Netflix, for instance, paid Comcast to prioritize their traffic over everyone else, that violates NN because, by creating the fast-lane, so to speak, it also creates a slow lane, meaning Comcast would not be treating the entirety of the Internet equally. Big companies could afford to pay for the prioritization, but the next Netflix or Amazon or Google would not be. This creates an anti-competitive environment, which stifles innovation, and, in the long run hampers the economy. It also restricts free speech, and as government-regulated utilities, ISPs are not allow to do that.

CDN servers allow content to be placed in closer proximity to the consumer of the content, and it makes the internet faster for all. The actual traffic coming from the CDN server is not treated any differently than any other traffic on the ISP's network.

My parents had a bunch of 8 mm movies which they paid to have put on VHS. Later, I transferred them to DVD. Last year, my brother put them on a thumb drive. Next year, well, it's hard to keep up with technology sometimes.
Someone ( a good writer) should do a Sci-fi story where the subjects of the 8mm films upgrade at the same time as the medium is upgraded.

When you get to Cloud Storage, Dad has face tattoos and mom is twerking at the pool party.

I
My parents had a bunch of 8 mm movies which they paid to have put on VHS. Later, I transferred them to DVD. Last year, my brother put them on a thumb drive. Next year, well, it's hard to keep up with technology sometimes.

I have dubbed some of my BETA/VHS tapes over to DVD. The software in the DVD burner (recorder) even enhances the pq a bit as it looks better in some cases. Some material I have on video tape will never be released on DVD, even if it was available. It is better to have some form of the material than not. But of course if I can get it on DVD I will.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts