Who makes the 811?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
JimMcC said:
Does anyone know who makes the 811 receiver? Is it JVC?

That's quite a coincedence. I was wondering, this very morning, what companies do the design and manufacture of the different models. We know the 921 sw is developed by a company in England with an office that looks like it's located in a house above a pub. Did they also design the HW? And, who actually manufactures it?

I wondered the same thing for the 811, 721, 522, 510/8/1, 322, 311, 301. I believe I've seen Dish gear over the years with JVC, Philips, and even RCA logos, IIRC. However, the quality of the recent models scream out "RCA" (Thomson). Combined with the fact that Thomson appears to make the HD directview and RP sets for Dish, and the overall quality and reliability of Dish gear, there is a good chance that Thomson makes some or all of the current lineup.

Surely, somebody here must have an inkling.

Some of the 811s actually do have a JVC logo on them. I must assume that they're the exact same thing, but why would some get a JVC logo and others don't.

there was a pciture of one with the JVC logo on dish's website somewhere but here's the one that's on the sears website...

05738173000-dlv.jpg

edit: now that i look at it, I think that logo was just put on the image, as they also have one with a huge jvc logo on a dish and I know those don't exist, but i guess the mystery still remains

BFG said:
now that i look at it, I think that logo was just put on the image, as they also have one with a huge jvc logo on a dish and I know those don't exist, but i guess the mystery still remains
Ah, but they do. That's what I got with my JVC HM-DSR100.

JimMcC said:
Does anyone know who makes the 811 receiver? Is it JVC?
No, JVC is not an OEM for EchoStar. They just order JVC branded eqmt for distribution & sales thru Sears and a few other mass-market outlets.

Once upon a time they had a unique product: the DV100 digital VCR/receiver that predated the PVR/DVRs. It was a DISH Model 5000 with a built in digital VCR. I don't know if they made it themselves with a E* supplied 5000 board or whether they shipped the VCR transport to E* for final assembly.

A couple of years ago they announced their own version of a HD PVR similar to the DVR921 with a smaller hard drive. It never came to market.

The 811 is "manufactered" by EchoStar Technologies here in the good 'ol USA. Of course, a lot of the parts including the chipsets are imported.

"The 811 is "manufactered" by EchoStar Technologies here in the good 'ol USA. Of course, a lot of the parts including the chipsets are imported."

Now, we know what is wrong with it.

JVC "makes" some, including mine. Make=manufacture. It is an Echostar design, multiple manufacturers.

babakanoosh said:
Make=manufacture.

No it doesn't. Just because it has a JVC logo on the front, does not mean it is made by them.

Sony and Hughes HD DirecTV boxes are made by LG (Goldstar).
RCA and GE products are made by Thomson, as are the Dish HDTV's.
Most Kenmore appliances are made by LG and Whirlpool, which also uses LG for manufacturing.
Kirkland (Costco) appliances are also usually Whirlpool (which would probably include some made by LG).

So, make often does not equal manufacturer.

The Atlanta group of Echostar makes the 811. Eldon makes the 921, and some of the 301s. Those are the ones that I know about. I believe that the Denver group makes the rest of the receivers, but could be wrong about that. Also pretty sure that all groups fall under the same corporate umbrella, but are different operating entities.

markdl said:
The Atlanta group of Echostar makes the 811. Eldon makes the 921, and some of the 301s. Those are the ones that I know about. I believe that the Denver group makes the rest of the receivers, but could be wrong about that. Also pretty sure that all groups fall under the same corporate umbrella, but are different operating entities.

"Makes" or "Designs"?

I ordered HD in a box, with a 811 and the 40" tv, Thompson makes both tv's, as far as the receivers go, I don't know, but here's a heads up for all of you out there! After ordering my TV my five year old son scratched the screen (no protective screens, I had ordered one but had not got it installed yet!) Anyways DISH, Thompson, the so called Dish authorized service centers no one had any idea how I could order a replacement screen. These TV's have DISH HD40-300 as a model number, no one knows what model this tv is, so you can not order a replacement screen, anyways its a RCA D40W20. Really, its a GE D40GW10 with RCA D40W20 features, (the outside case is the GE, the insides are the RCA!) But my point about this is NO ONE from Dish, or any of the service centers they gave me had no idea how or what tv this was, I had to do the research, and hopfully someone here can benifit.

P.S. the replacement screen cost me $260, I ordered it from the same place I ordered my protective screen Mighty Shield. Also I find my TV to be very good for the $999 I paid for it, I am sure if I spent $2000.00 + on a TV it would be better, but I'm happy with my RCA!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)