Who owns the dish and LNB after install

Given its limited application (due to its relatively small size and linear LNB), does it matter?
I just seen the Orby ad and found your site while trying to find out more info. I see they say $150 for installation but gather from this forum that you can elect to install yourself? I am a old retired analog engineer and set up several directv systems on our homes before they went to the fancy multi-satellite ones and before that set up several C dishes here on the farm. Would I be correct in assuming Orby uses only one satellite since it appears they use a single LNB. I currently has Directv but am fed up with paying a 100 bucks a month and only watching 3-4
channels. We only have spotty 2mb dsl (on a good day) here so streaming is not much of an option. What type a test box is required for dish setup as my dish is on the roof and packing a monitor and receiver up there is not an option. Thanks in advance for the help.

Welcome potluckman!

Self installs were done by those of us with our own dishes, LNBF and satellite meters. With that said, your DirecTV dish is not suitable as it is designed for multi-satellite reception and the multi-feed LNBFs are the wrong polarity (circular) and frequency range (12.2-12.75GHz). As a hobbyist, one might fabricate a LNBF holder to place a linear LNBF (LO 10750 Freq range 11.7-12.2GHz) at the correct sweetspot, but the dish would still perform as one with a smaller than acceptable diameter.

In your case, I would suggest that you are a perfect candidate for the OrbyTV install. By the time you source your own dish, linear FSS LNBF and attempt to install without a meter, you are better off getting the OrbyTV dish, LNBF, diplexer, OTA antenna and install for only a little more in cost.

Welcome potluckman!

Self installs were done by those of us with our own dishes, LNBF and satellite meters. With that said, your DirecTV dish is not suitable as it is designed for multi-satellite reception and the multi-feed LNBFs are the wrong polarity (circular) and frequency range (12.2-12.75GHz). As a hobbyist, one might fabricate a LNBF holder to place a linear LNBF (LO 10750 Freq range 11.7-12.2GHz) at the correct sweetspot, but the dish would still perform as one with a smaller than acceptable diameter.

In your case, I would suggest that you are a perfect candidate for the OrbyTV install. By the time you source your own dish, linear FSS LNBF and attempt to install without a meter, you are better off getting the OrbyTV dish, LNBF, diplexer, OTA antenna and install for only a little more in cost.
How bout the older directv single lnb dishes. I have one that is likely 15-18 years old. Just hate investing much into orby before I know if
we like it or not. I know several sites sell larger dishes with lnb to handle weak signal or bad weather. Do you know if any of those would
be compatible.

18" legacy Dish or DirecTV dish is far too small. If you want to source your own dish, the Winegard ds2076 - 30" (76cm) is a pretty common model and a minimum size. A Standard type linear polarity LNBF with LO 10750 and frequency range 11.7 - 12.2GHz can be found on Ebay for $10. Honestly, from the questions asked, this may not be the best route...

If you have it on hand, makes sense. If you are buying, it is hard to beat the OrbyTV hardware that is included.

I agree with Brian. IF you have to go out and buy a dish, you are far better off paying the extra $50 it'll cost you above the price of just the dish itself, and just get the professional install including the OTA antenna, aiming and all wiring, done RIGHT.

It's just not always cheaper to do things yourself, unless you've done sat work in the past, and had some suitable dishes laying around.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts