Rain Fade .. day 1 after install :(

riekl

Original poster
Jun 5, 2004
So I know rain fade is a fact of life with any sat provider, but it did not get me any points with the wife to have it occur the day after installing. We had moderate storms, nothing super heavy. Is there anything I can do to lesson this? Any numbers I can check to see if my signal is good?

A little more info - how long and how many times did you lose the signal. I would say I virtually never lose a signal during a moderate rain storm. Even then, when heavier it's when the head of the storm approaches, not for the whole rain storm. There is a difference where you live. In Ct it's as I described, in Florida I get heavier rains and might lose the signal a little more often for a little longer time.

Remember it's not the rain that causes "rain fade", it's the thickness of the cloud layer. The moisture in a 20 mile think thunderhead will cause the signal loss. A moderate rainstorm should NEVER cause rain fade unless the clouds are very think and black! There could be an issue with your install. Tree branches that sag when they get wet, a loose or ill-fitting connection that allows water to get into the wire, or a dish that isn't "peaked" properly (post #2 in this thread).

Good luck!
Tony

So I know rain fade is a fact of life with any sat provider, but it did not get me any points with the wife to have it occur the day after installing. We had moderate storms, nothing super heavy. Is there anything I can do to lesson this? Any numbers I can check to see if my signal is good?

Did DISH install it? if the answer is Yes normally before a installer leaves they leave their phone number and tell the customer that if anything goes wrong with their DISH system in so many weeks to call them and they will come back out Free of charge.Good Luck!:)

Jhon69 said:
Did DISH install it? if the answer is Yes normally before a installer leaves they leave their phone number and tell the customer that if anything goes wrong with their DISH system in so many weeks to call them and they will come back out Free of charge.Good Luck!:)

Technically against company policy. A tactic to avoid being hit for trouble calls.

Customers already have free service calls in the first 2 weeks.

You probably need to have the system peaked again. I had to have that done a few times after new dish installs. You might also want to check the connectors. The first install at my new house, there were several that were loose. I tightened everything and picked up a good amount of signal.

Dishman1978 said:
Technically against company policy. A tactic to avoid being hit for trouble calls.

Customers already have free service calls in the first 2 weeks.

We provide a 60 day warranty. If you call within 60 days, its free. 61 days its $15 tech visit fee with protection plan. $95 without protection plan.

riekl said:

Did you have directv prior? Did they use an existing mount? Is the pole concreted if its on a pole. Are there 6 lags in the mast if its on the house? Are those center lags in a stud? Did they use a facia plate if its an eave mount? Or the issue could be the tech was fairly new and had issues pointing.

Whatever the reason, you should not lose signal the majority of the time on a properly installed system. 5 or 10 minutes while the worst of it passes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)