Roof leak day after install.

jcvaughan

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 7, 2005
Pacifica CA
So I upgraded to the H3 on Sunday. All went well and am loving the new equipment. But this morning we woke up to water dripping in from roof right in the area of our Dish. Here's the thing. Our dish is mounted to the side of our house on the facia so I know that isn't causing it. Could the installer when changing out the LNB have screwed a cable hold or something onto the roof and it didn't seal properly? I know I can go up there and check but I have a deathly fear of ladders and it's a good 20ft. (stop laughing)

I know on the contract is says they are not liable for any damage due to install but if he did screw into my roof, it should be done right. Right?

Couple of scenarios.. They walked on the roof during the install and some brittle or otherwise older shingles broke or split. Or, water is coming from where the dish is mounted on the side through the mounting holes and finding it's way to drip where you see it. Or they did attach wiring on the roof and it isn't sealed properly. Or, coincidence.

acf85886-7369-4884-9df5-f419aafb6ebb_400.jpg

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Henry-0-90-Gal-208R-Rubber-Wet-Patch-Roof-Cement-HE208R142/100041225

If they take more than a day to come out, buy a can of this and grab some paint stirring sticks. Use them to slather some of this wet patch where it's needed. It can be put on even while it's raining, though it's better to do it when it's dry.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
I don't put my dish on the roof. I have it attached to the fascia with a plate that runs along the fascia that allows you to screw bolts into the edge of the rafters. You can do chin-ups on it and it doesn't move. In fact I got the New H3 today and they changed the LNB. It was the guys first install, and the supervisor came out to check on him. He noticed the set up and said it looked very clever and sturdy. I told him been there 12 years with out an 1/8" of movement. It also has the added benefit of not having to have your dish adjusted after a re-roof which happens a LOT in Oklahoma.

I don't put my dish on the roof. I have it attached to the fascia with a plate that runs along the fascia that allows you to screw bolts into the edge of the rafters. You can do chin-ups on it and it doesn't move. In fact I got the New H3 today and they changed the LNB. It was the guys first install, and the supervisor came out to check on him. He noticed the set up and said it looked very clever and sturdy. I told him been there 12 years with out an 1/8" of movement. It also has the added benefit of not having to have your dish adjusted after a re-roof which happens a LOT in Oklahoma.
Can you send a pic of your satellite antenna mount and a link to the company that manufacturer/sells it etc? Thanks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)