Local Channel Coverage

dsmith0429

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 12, 2013
Lake Placid, FL
Why is it that the local channels for my area on Dish are from Tampa, but the channels I pick up over-the-air are Naples, West Palm Beach, and Ft. Myers? I'd rather have these than Tampa. I can't even pick up the Tampa channels over-the-air. Also why isn't the sub-channels included as well? I actually watch them more than the main channels. Thanks for your input...

Why is it that the local channels for my area on Dish are from Tampa, but the channels I pick up over-the-air are Naples, West Palm Beach, and Ft. Myers? I'd rather have these than Tampa. I can't even pick up the Tampa channels over-the-air.
Nielsen is the ones who decides what stations you get depending on what county you are in
If your location is right, then yeah you get Tampa locals, despite being closer to Ft Myers

florida.gif

Also why isn't the sub-channels included as well? I actually watch them more than the main channels. Thanks for your input...
Unless its associated with a Big 4 network Dish and Directv usually dont carry subchanenls. Now there are examples where a My affiliate is carried (mainly because the owner may own a Big 4 net and they use that as leverage during retransmission renewal time) but for argument, they usually dont carry subs.

Nielsen is the ones who decides what stations you get depending on what county you are in
If your location is right, then yeah you get Tampa locals, despite being closer to Ft Myers

florida.gif

Unless its associated with a Big 4 network Dish and Directv usually dont carry subchanenls. Now there are examples where a My affiliate is carried (mainly because the owner may own a Big 4 net and they use that as leverage during retransmission renewal time) but for argument, they usually dont carry subs.
Thanks Iceberg for the info...

Reactions: Mr Tony
I'm missing the problem?
Why is it that the local channels for my area on Dish are from Tampa, but the channels I pick up over-the-air are Naples, West Palm Beach, and Ft. Myers? I'd rather have these than Tampa. I can't even pick up the Tampa channels over-the-air. Also why isn't the sub-channels included as well? I actually watch them more than the main channels. Thanks for your input...

I'm missing the problem? :) Many would love to have your situation. Since Network programming is going to be the same record and/or watch those shows from Satellite. Want what you feel is the local news or sub channels? Watch from your antenna. Attach the antenna to the Dish Receiver and your local channels become part of the guide, can be recorded etc in addition to the Tampa channels. That said Ft Myers seems the better choice for your location as the DMA. Further South to Venus is still the Tampa DMA.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr Tony
I'm missing the problem?

I'm missing the problem? :) Many would love to have your situation. Since Network programming is going to be the same record and/or watch those shows from Satellite. Want what you feel is the local news or sub channels? Watch from your antenna. Attach the antenna to the Dish Receiver and your local channels become part of the guide, can be recorded etc in addition to the Tampa channels. That said Ft Myers seems the better choice for your location as the DMA. Further South to Venus is still the Tampa DMA.
really think they need to re-draw where the boundaries are, but I guess I could always get a bigger tower and antenna and have more options that way too... what is really funny is there is a station in Sebring, next town above here that I can't get at all. But it is a low power station, used to broadcast AMG TV programming, don't know if they still do, they were still analog as of last year too, because low power stations didn't have to transition right away like the other stations... but I did see where they applied to go digital... need to rescan I guess and see if they are there yet...

I can relate with you, I live in a area in Texas that with a antenna, I can pick up TV stations from 3 to 4 TV markets sometimes. My primary TV market according to Dish is the Dallas-Fort Worth TV market as I live in Hunt County, which is consider a fringe county for the TV and Radio reception as we are near where the signal becomes harder to pick up. I also have gotten both KXII and KTEN out of the Sherman, TX-Ada, OK market as well as KLTV out of Tyler-Longview TV market and all DFW area TV stations on my TV which is also hooked up to my antenna.

It was like that when I lived in western South Carolina too. I was closer to Augusta, GA, and had very strong signals over-the-air, but my channels on DirecTV was Columbia, SC... not very useful for local weather & news. I was even able to get Atlanta & Macon, GA over-the-air...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts