Who REALLY determines RSN team coverage?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

ttomni6

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 14, 2011
Maui
In all contact with DISH and according to the team coverage listings (I'll use the NHL as an example), it's been said that the NHL determines which teams "claim" certain geographic areas.

If you look at the DISH maps (using Hawaii for reference), the LA Kings claim Hawaii.

Anaheim Ducks and San Jose Sharks games are not available "live" on our RSN's.

However, games by all three teams are available "live" on Oceanic Time Warner cable on the same RSN's.

When LA Kings are on NHLN, we have to watch the SD feed on the RSN. Anaheim and San Jose games are available on NHLN when available. I'm not sure what happens on cable for NHLN telecasts.

Depending on who you ask, it's either the teams or the league (or a mix of both) that claims territories. And if you ask one, they always refer you the other for the correct answer. But at least you get hockey via RSN, unlike those of us in New York State.

I'll take each part separately (the RSN and NHL net)

You are in what the RSN's call and extended area. So while the NHL says "yes the 3 Cali teams claim Hawaii" the local RSN may say "OK _______ (provider) it costs X amount of money EXTRA to get the games in the extended area" and Dish obviously said no we're too cheap to pay that. Plus people in Hawaii don't care about hockey (ok I'm paraphrasing).
Directv shows for Maui you get all 3 NHL teams (and 6 RSN's....The 3 LA ones, FS San Diego and the 2 Comcast ones)

Now for the NHL Net its real simple. If the local team is on the NHL Net you're blacked out and have to watch it on the local RSN. Thats why you are blacked out on Kings games. Now as to why they open it up for the other 2 is kinda a bonus because I understood it as you're blacked out regardless if the RSN is carried (ask NY & Philly fans about that)

I'll take each part separately (the RSN and NHL net)

You are in what the RSN's call and extended area. So while the NHL says "yes the 3 Cali teams claim Hawaii" the local RSN may say "OK _______ (provider) it costs X amount of money EXTRA to get the games in the extended area" and Dish obviously said no we're too cheap to pay that. Plus people in Hawaii don't care about hockey (ok I'm paraphrasing).
Directv shows for Maui you get all 3 NHL teams (and 6 RSN's....The 3 LA ones, FS San Diego and the 2 Comcast ones)

OR - Dish decided not to pay an outrageous price and then pass it on to the subscriber in the form of surcharges.... :hula:

nhl-map.jpg

This is a basic map that covers each NHL teams area for TV rights, Hawaii is not listed on this map, but as mentioned LA, San Jose & Anaheim, claim Hawaii.

The Winnipeg Jets have the largest geographical area, covering Manitoba, Saskatchewan, NWT & Nunavut, population of the entire area is probably less than a million!

And it may not be 100% accurate.

Dish's NHL map would be different, Dish is too cheap with Sports programming, guess Charlie is not a sports fan.

Interesting that there are large areas of the US not claimed by any NHL team.

In contrast, even the remotest areas of Idaho / Montana / Dakotas are claimed by one of the MLB teams. In areas like Las Vegas and Iowa, there are six teams that lay claim to the area - but as said earlier Dish refuses to pay the $$ to allow residents in those areas to see the teams - which leads to all sorts of blackout issues as noted above.

actually the NHL does claim most of those areas

type in a Montana zip and you get the Avalanche as the hockey team. Ironically they get the Jazz as the NBA team (not the Nuggets)

These forums are full of reports from Dish subscribers who aren't getting the correct sports team, or even no team at all, despite the particular league claiming that a specific team should be carried in that area. Dish seems to have different maps than the ones the leagues provide.

These forums are full of reports from Dish subscribers who aren't getting the correct sports team, or even no team at all, despite the particular league claiming that a specific team should be carried in that area. Dish seems to have different maps than the ones the leagues provide.

it usually has to do with the fact that in "extended areas" Dish refuses to pay for the access to the RSN's there

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts