who would be willing to pay more money to keep viacom?

korsjs

Welcome To SatelliteGuys
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jan 25, 2004
Land O Lakes, FL
i don't know how to set up a poll. just wondering if the people here would be willing to pay an extra couple of dollars a month to keep cbs and the other viacom channels.

i for one would not and continues to hope dish will not give into viacoms blackmail.

I agree I signed up because they have these channels. Now they are going to hike up my rates to keep the channels that I originally had. Thats a load of crap

hopefully they will not have to raise rates if they can come to a FAIR agreement with viacom. if dish gives in to what viacom wants, rates will surely go up.

WLong said:
Nope. Charlie can pay for it. Not me.

Looks like you will be SOL with that take on it.

Remember, its viacom that wants more money, not "Charlie", ECHOSTAR rather... sigh... another "Charlie" reference by Wlong- wonder if he knows there are 14,999 other employees there that get paychecks?

Anyways, asking Charlie/Echostar to absorb the cost is absurd and WONT happen if Viacom demands more $$. If you wont accept the fact that the cost gets passed to you, then E*, D*, Comcast/whatever are not options for you either, as all providers increase costs as their costs increase. Echostar is not a welfare organization that gives programming out for free last I checked

Looks like you will be SOL with that take on it.

No, I'll just keep my eye on it.

another "Charlie" reference by Wlong- wonder if he knows there are 14,999 other employees there that get paychecks?

Another Charlie reference by me? I think I have used his name less than a handful of times. Please cut the drama. I am aware Echostar doesnt have one employee. Its a general reference, don't take it so seriously.

Anyways, asking Charlie/Echostar to absorb the cost is absurd and WONT happen if Viacom demands more $$.

So if your ISP called you up and said the telco is raising their costs and they want you to pay $5 more a month for internet access you would just take it up the Wazzu like that?

If you wont accept the fact that the cost gets passed to you, then E*, D*, Comcast/whatever are not options for you either, as all providers increase costs as their costs increase.

No, not all providers of a service do this. Your sweeping statement here is absurd.

Echostar is not a welfare organization that gives programming out for free last I checked

When did I say I expected anything for free? I already pay them a price for those channels and I don't expect it to increase. That's my point.

it sounds like you do not want to pay price increases, but you make it seem like it will be the end of the world and DISH's fault if we lose the channels for a short while.

korsjs said:
it sounds like you do not want to pay price increases, but you make it seem like it will be the end of the world and DISH's fault if we lose the channels for a short while.

Thats an incorrect assumption on your behalf. I don't want to pay more, I don't think DISH should give in to the bullying, and I am aware its not their fault. At the same time, I expect DISH to keep us happy and do the RIGHT THING for their customers.

Get it?

Bill

February 1st DISH raised their prices $1-3. March 1st Directv raised their rates $1-3 the difference is Directv had already signed a new contract with Viacom. Viacom can't be asking that outrageous an amount. You are the PAWN in Charlies game of chess, tell him Monday on the Charlie Chat that a few pennies additional cost to him is not as important as the programming is to you. Look at who owns 90% of the voting stock in Echostar and who Forbes found to be something like the 27th RICHEST INDIVIDUAL in the United States. The question really is how much will the stock in Echostar be depressed by signing the contract with Viacom, not how much will it affect you the paying customer.

boba said:
February 1st DISH raised their prices $1-3. March 1st Directv raised their rates $1-3 the difference is Directv had already signed a new contract with Viacom. Viacom can't be asking that outrageous an amount. You are the PAWN in Charlies game of chess, tell him Monday on the Charlie Chat that a few pennies additional cost to him is not as important as the programming is to you. Look at who owns 90% of the voting stock in Echostar and who Forbes found to be something like the 27th RICHEST INDIVIDUAL in the United States. The question really is how much will the stock in Echostar be depressed by signing the contract with Viacom, not how much will it affect you the paying customer.

If customer impact is not a factor. DISH Network is doomed eventually.

I for one am not willing to pay more to keep Viacom. While the loss of CBS would be tough for some, it doesn't impact me, as I am not in an O&O area. That was the question, wasn't it? I would hope that many in the O&O areas could use a OTA antenna and be fine, though I know that won't work for everyone.

Wouldn't it be nice if Dish, in the event they dropped the Viacom channels, were to add remaining channels into each program grouping? In other words, AT60, 120, & 180 would all add channels from the next level tier to make up for the lost channels? AT180 could add a premium channel perhaps. OK, OK, I'm dreaming, but a guy can dream can't he?! I would much rather add those channels in than have Viacom to begin with.

I don't need the Viacom channels, I say screw 'em. Drop em and get some MORE HD CONTENT!! I can live without freakin MTV garbage.
M Law has a good idea!

I don't need Viacom or Nicktoons. I really don't think CBS want to lose that many advertising $$ either. Do you think Charlie will call their bluff?

Charlie should stick to his guns!!! I know that my user agreement says nothing about no price increases ever. Charlie however has said repeatedly throughout the four years that I have been a customer that his intention is to keep prices as low as possible and get the best value for his customers that he can. While I don't know what he is paying per sub for each channel package I know that I am currently getting a good value for what I am paying for AT160 and 22 LA DMA locals. Echostar deserves to make a profit from the services that they are selling - as it was stated earlier they are not a welfare organization. If the price/value ratio gets too far out of whack they know they will ultimately lose customers. I would be willing to bet that the majority of Echostar customers also have access to cable should they want it, and certainly have access to DirecTV. Anyone who is dissatisfied with the P/V ratio is free to join up with the competition.

As for me Dish is still a good overall value, although if I were just signing up today I would probably go with DirecTV mainly for the better hardware.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)