Who would want Voom on DirecTV ???

Status
Please reply by conversation.
herdfan said:
Exactly. I can think of many channels I would want before Voom.

Here, Here.

STARZ-HD, HGTV-HD

And get my other locals online ASAP!!

FOX-HD, CBS-HD, PBS-HD,

I've lost all these (FOX-HD, CBS-HD, PBS-HD),
after switching from cable with the hopes D* will come through for me when it's all said and done.

My buddy brags Dish has more HD programming, but VOOM is nothing but crap. Being a big sports fan and major primetime show watcher, VOOM I feel is not quality programming.

STARZ-HD = DVD rentals

HGTV-HD = Paint drying & landscaping?

NBC-HD = Have it now (DBS & OTA)
ABC-HD = Have it now (DBS & OTA)
FOX-HD = Have it now (DBS & OTA)
CBS-HD = Have it now (DBS & OTA)
PBS-HD = Got it now (OTA) and they need to be allowed to add a national PBS-HD.

It isn't the fault of DirecTV or Dish if you can't get the DNS feeds.

vgsantiago said:
I've lost all these (FOX-HD, CBS-HD, PBS-HD) after switching from cable with the hopes D* will come through for me when it's all said and done.

What is your DMA? DirecTV has just started adding LIL HD.

For me there is nothing I absolutely need extra in HD. I get locals OTA and now with Netflix and HD DVD, get my movies that way. I had Voom and wouldnt mind the channels but dont know how much I would watch. So yes I would take them even pay 5 bucks but I can live with or without them.

I tell you something.....I'm a Directv sub and Dish sub just for the HD....20 bucks a mth....and I haven't felt like I needed to tune into what the VOOM ch's have had on at all. A ton of repeats...they need new material. I would like INHD but I do realize it is an only cable ch.

charper1 said:
STARZ-HD = DVD rentals

HGTV-HD = Paint drying & landscaping?

NBC-HD = Have it now (DBS & OTA)
ABC-HD = Have it now (DBS & OTA)
FOX-HD = Have it now (DBS & OTA)
CBS-HD = Have it now (DBS & OTA)
PBS-HD = Got it now (OTA) and they need to be allowed to add a national PBS-HD.

It isn't the fault of DirecTV or Dish if you can't get the DNS feeds.

What is your DMA? DirecTV has just started adding LIL HD.

New to satellelite forums, don't know what DMA stands for, but whatever San Diego 92020 is. I checked with using an OTA, wouldn't gain anything. But cable had all above mentioned locals.

Do they not negotiate that stuff, getting local HD. How does cable have them. Please excuse me for not knowing, been cable all my life. Satellite for 2 weeks.

Having a nationally broadcasted channel like HGTV (I'm also a new homeowner thus the reason) is defintely better than the current lineup. As for STARZ-HD, I guess you get more for less with Netflix.

It sounds like no premiums for you. At the very least I must have HBO (Sopranos, The Wire, etc..) And since I'm a new customer and getting them all for free (3 months), it would have been nice. Most likely I'll get rid of all but HBO, but those who have the premium package. Wouldn't it be nice to have that HD premium with it.

vinny here is a story concerning INHD. It seems to me now that DirecTV talks hype but doesn't deliver HD on much of any cable networks, except the few they offer. That was to keep up with Dish? note at the end DirecTV decided not to offer it:

DirecTV Petitions FCC vs. In Demand

DirecTV Inc. Tuesday filed a program-access complaint with the Federal Communications Commission against In Demand, accusing the content purveyor of charging the satellite provider more for its two INHD high-definition channels than it does cable operators.

The compliant claimed that In Demand -- which is owned by Time Warner Inc., Comcast Corp. and Cox Communications Inc. -- is forcing the satellite company to pay a fee for all 14.5 million of its digital subscribers as part of the rate card for INHD and INHD2.

The company offers the same deal to cable operators, but since less than one-half of most cable systems’ subscribers are digital, DirecTV said it pays three or four times what MSOs pay for the exact same service. DirecTV does not carry the services.

DirecTV is asking the FCC to require In Demand to offer INHD at rates, terms and conditions per HD subscriber comparable to those that it offers to cable operators.

According to the complaint, under current rates, DirecTV would have to pay In Demand 11 cents for each of its 14.45 million subscribers, or $1.59 million per month. The DBS carrier added that this means its monthly fee for subscribers who are HD subscribers would be $3.

Conversely, DirecTV’s complaint placed Comcast’s In Demand monthly fee at $973,500, based upon 11 cents for each of 8.85 million digital subscribers. The nation’s largest MSO, according to the complaint, pays In Demand 67 cents for each of its HD subscribers.

As for Time Warner Cable, DirecTV’s document pegged its monthly fee to In Demand for the HD services at $539,000, calculated on an 11-cent basis for 4.9 million digital subscribers. The complaint put Time Warner Cable’s per-HD-subscriber monthly fee at 94 cents.

As such, DirecTV’s complaint claimed that In Demand’s rate card for INHD and INHD2 would cost it least three times and as much as 4.5 times the per-HD-subscriber fee paid by Comcast and Time Warner.

Other HD services, such as ESPN HD and Home Box Office HD, charge only for those subscribers who receive the service, and not for potential subscribers, according to the complaint.

"It is a deliberate strategy by In Demand to favor its cable owners over its satellite competitors and achieve its goal of keeping INHD only on cable, as its advertising tag line suggests," DirecTV executive vice president of business and legal affairs Dan Fawcett said in a prepared statement.

He added that if left unchecked, In Demand’s pricing structure could become a model for “every cable-affiliated high-definition programmer seeking to deny DBS operators like DirecTV access to valuable high-definition content.”

An In Demand spokesman would only say that the company “has had numerous discussions with DirecTV about carriage of our high-definition networks, INHD and INHD2, and we believe the allegations in the company’s complaint are completely without merit.”

He continued, “We have always been, and remain, willing to negotiate carriage with any distributor. Our pricing policies are in full compliance with FCC rules and regulations, and we’re confident that the FCC will find in our favor.”

The complaint does not cover In Demand’s NASCAR In Car multicamera pay-per-view package, which is currently only distributed via cable operators. DirecTV talked with In Demand about carrying the package but ultimately decided not to offer it.

http://www.multichannel.com/article/CA622427.html?display=Breaking+News&referral=SUPP

Last edited:
vgsantiago said:
New to satellelite forums, don't know what DMA stands for, but whatever San Diego 92020 is. I checked with using an OTA, wouldn't gain anything. But cable had all above mentioned locals.

You were correct, DMA = Designated Market Area; SD 92020

Do they not negotiate that stuff, getting local HD. How does cable have them.

Cable & satellite are not on level playing fields as far as locals are concerned; the National Association of Broadcaster (with some small help of the cable cos) have fought satellite's ability to retransmit locals from day one, and continue to do so. To an extent they consider SD and HD as two different things.

San Diego is#26 DMA - Are area affiliates broadcasting in digital yet?

Having a nationally broadcasted channel like HGTV is defintely better than the current lineup.

Don't get me wrong, I like FoodTV and HGTV (among others) but I can see the pressing need for these channels to be in HD over others.

As for STARZ-HD, I guess you get more for less with Netflix. It sounds like no premiums for you.

Not as a rule; at least the HBO and Showtime channels offer original, first run programs like the Sopranos and BS, and I had them for nearly 4 years, but at $12/per its just not worth it.

If we had VOOM Channels I think I would get dizzy, watching the programs loop around and around.

I would like to see National Geographic HD added. Also Travel Channel, if it goes HD. I can't get excited about seeing a kitchen in HD, on the Food Channel, but scenic and nature programing would look a lot better in HD. Even if it is lite HD.

charper1 said:
San Diego is#26 DMA - Are area affiliates broadcasting in digital yet?

They all do, I'm in somewhat of a valley so an OTA doesn't work for me. I'll be hurting when football season comes around.

I love the service so far, I'm the only one in the house who cares about the HD programming. Everyone else thinks D* is great. My kids get a kick out of when someone calls they see the phone # show up on their television.

I'm sure in 07 I'll be glad I made the switch.

vgsantiago said:
They all do, I'm in somewhat of a valley so an OTA doesn't work for me. I'll be hurting when football season comes around. I'm sure in 07 I'll be glad I made the switch.

Weird; I am also valley oriented in Phoenix and some 35 miles away from the towers with great OTA. Based on the zip you gave you should be less than 9 miles away. I think a proper antenna setup should yield flawless results under 20 miles.

lou_do, every channel we watch has repeats, maybe not as much as the Voom but none the less we have them. I figured if DirecTV would start offering all HD cable channels (including Voom), sport feeds & locals in HD, DirecTV could offer well over 50 channels now instead of the dozen or so they do now. I feel cable actually has picked up a bigger selection of HD content in recent years and does not offer "HD lite" which is shameful that satellite is doing this (except c band). Let's put it out there, is it worth all the money to buy or to put out for an upfront fee on lease equipment and receive HD lite? There is even a site trying to stop HD lite, you know how you stop DirecTV and Dish from doing it? 1. education, you must be educated in what your getting and it's limitations, 2. don't pay these prices for the equipment, leased or not. 3. go with alternatives that actually offers "TRUE HD" (C Band and Cable). There is a lot of hype about HD but satellite is not doing there best to bring it out to the fore front.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vgsantiago
They all do, I'm in somewhat of a valley so an OTA doesn't work for me. I'll be hurting when football season comes around. I'm sure in 07 I'll be glad I made the switch.
Have you tried any antennas?

charper1 said:
Weird; I am also valley oriented in Phoenix and some 35 miles away from the towers with great OTA. Based on the zip you gave you should be less than 9 miles away. I think a proper antenna setup should yield flawless results under 20 miles.
I agree

vgsantiago said:

charper1 said:
I agree

cablewithaview said:
When I signed up with DirecTV, it was after Voom shut down and I signed up under there Voom deal. I was thankful for such a deal but I am disappointed almost a year later and no Voom. I would take Voom on DirecTV if they offered it. Who else would take it, if they offered Voom?

I would take it. it is the only thing I miss from the switch over from E*to D*

:hungry:

cablewithaview said:
with the HD national feeds coming out, are they also offering other channels the main HD feed offers as well? I mean like my NBC network out of Huntsville offers The Tube and NBC Weather Plus on there Digital feed, so is that being offered as well? If not I could care less about rolling out national HD's. I am happy with my antenna for local HD and receiving HD affiliates out of New York. I say use the space to roll out all cable networks in HD including regional sports HD feeds.

uuuuuh! That's what "National HD feed" are. You are confusing Multicasting of HD locals with National feeds like National Geographic HD, or StarzHD, etc! Thats what I prefer the most!

I would rather have the National Geographic HD channel that a DirecTV rep told me was supposed to arrive sometime in April.... alas.

Logic 7 said:

Went to Antenna.web and this is what I pulled up for DTV feeds.

DTV Antenna
* yellow - uhf KSWB-DT 5.1 WB SAN DIEGO CA 149° 7.1 19
* yellow - uhf KNSD-DT 39.1 NBC SAN DIEGO CA 149° 7.1 40
* yellow - uhf KPBS-DT 15.1 PBS SAN DIEGO CA 149° 7.0 30
* red - uhf KUSI-DT 51.1 IND SAN DIEGO CA 149° 7.1 18

Already have NBC through D*, WB, I only watch one show on that. PBS (seriously)?? and KUSI is our local. So if I'm not mistaken the only way to get HD programming is being able to get DTV feeds. I can get all the SD feeds but not DTV.

Smthkd said:
uuuuuh! That's what "National HD feed" are. You are confusing Multicasting of HD locals with National feeds like National Geographic HD, or StarzHD, etc! Thats what I prefer the most!

I thought I had the two confused. Cable Networks in HD would have been the better term.

cablewithaview said:
lou_do, every channel we watch has repeats, ...

You got that right. If I see that damned snake crawl accross the desert again or have to look at the martian sands on DiscoveryHD or hear about Lawrence and his one off shock jock truck one more time Im gonna scream. That crap has been repeating for Yearssss. And people criticize VOOM???

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)