Whole Home DVR Issue

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I had mentioned my own problems with MRV into a 2nd room in a previous thread. Since setting up static IPs on both my HDDVR and HD receivers I have not lost connection in the 2nd room. I can also now see the downloaded VOD programs in the 2nd room. So I recommend that to anyone having disconnection issues.

Only issue remaining in the 2nd room is a small one. The inability to watch SD recordings. Still says no audio/video packets.

He has DECA, the last thing he wants to do is plug in his receivers to an ethernet switch, it will disable the internal DECA on the HR24 and H24.

To the OP, Armchair is right on, assign static IP's to your receivers and you should be fine. DHCP works fine for me, but not everyone is so lucky. It could be the brand of router you are using, who knows. But I would try the static IP route to see if it resolves the problem. If not, it could be a problem with the internal DECA. <snip>

This has caught my attention and I am now somewhat confused. I am reading, and reading, and reading... prior to installing a new structured wiring system in my home. Once that is in place I will order Dish equipment and service with HD whole home DVR service, etc. What caught my attention here is the advice NOT to connect the receivers to an ethernet switch because it will disable the internal DECA. I am a newbie to dish so please bear with me for a moment, DECA is ethernet over coax, correct? If that is correct I can understand the advice. Given that I have a choice with a brand new installation, is there any advantage or disadvantage to connecting the receivers to ethernet as opposed to using DECA? Somehow I suspect that using DECA would be more reliable since it would not rely on the ethernet network to pass video traffic, but I am still in the vertical part of my learning curve.

OK, while we are at it, how about a brief yes/no answer to an off-topic, but related, subject? If I go the route of connecting the receivers to ethernet, is there a good reason to install a CAT 6 network as compared to a CAT 5e network at roughly 20% ~ 25% additional cost? (I don't need additional speed for my computer use. I don't do any gaming. I don't think that I will do very many, if any, PPV downloads. )

Thanks!

This has caught my attention and I am now somewhat confused. I am reading, and reading, and reading... prior to installing a new structured wiring system in my home. Once that is in place I will order Dish equipment and service with HD whole home DVR service, etc. What caught my attention here is the advice NOT to connect the receivers to an ethernet switch because it will disable the internal DECA. I am a newbie to dish so please bear with me for a moment, DECA is ethernet over coax, correct? If that is correct I can understand the advice. Given that I have a choice with a brand new installation, is there any advantage or disadvantage to connecting the receivers to ethernet as opposed to using DECA? Somehow I suspect that using DECA would be more reliable since it would not rely on the ethernet network to pass video traffic, but I am still in the vertical part of my learning curve.

OK, while we are at it, how about a brief yes/no answer to an off-topic, but related, subject? If I go the route of connecting the receivers to ethernet, is there a good reason to install a CAT 6 network as compared to a CAT 5e network at roughly 20% ~ 25% additional cost? (I don't need additional speed for my computer use. I don't do any gaming. I don't think that I will do very many, if any, PPV downloads. )

Thanks!

You are right, DECA provides networking over the coax. The new HR24 and H24 series boxes have built in DECA. The older boxes use an external DECA module that connects to the coax and the ethernet port.

What are the benefits of DECA vs. Ethernet? It depends. Ethernet is not supported by DirecTV for Multi-Room viewing. They will activate MRV, but will not provide any support if you have issues. I wired my house for Ethernet, and used it during the CE and Beta phase of MRV. It worked well, but I decided to switch over to DECA anyway. I like it better. It's faster, especially when fast forwarding. The best part about DECA is there is nothing else on the network giving MRV priority. I know others have created stand alone networks for MRV and had success. I like the ease of DECA and the support of DirecTV.

I would still run your Ethernet setup. I still use mine for my media servers and my blue ray players.

OK, thanks wild bill 129! After more reading I was beginning to feel more comfortable with my suspicions. Thanks to your explanation, I get it now.

DirecTV makes the whole-home DVR system simple and uncomplicated to install thanks to DECA. The simplicity of it all is a beautiful thing!

Thanks again for your help. I do appreciate it. :up

As WildBill said, run Ethernet to all your rooms and to all potential future connectivity spots. All PC and entertainment locations for sure. One connection is enough as an Ethernet switch can be used to share the connection to AV receivers, DVRs, Roku, TV, etc. I would also run Ethernet to your refrigerator, furnace, telephone panel, electrical panel, thermostats, etc. Many off these things are already or going to going to go on line. Don't forget 7.1 surround sound wiring and even plan for 9.2 (whatever that might be) for as as soon as you sheetrock the walls they will release it.

I know a lot of stuff is wireless but nothing yet competes with the reliability, quality, and security of real wire.

Thanks schneid. I agree, especially with your last paragraph. That is the plan that I am working on right now, less the surround sound wiring. I am an old school, vintage actually, 2-channel stereo guy. I can do the home theatre surround sound wiring later when the time comes.

I had the same issue with an HR24, H24 and a DECA. The H24 would run fine for a day or two then playback would freeze with the no data packet message and the H24 would disconnect from the HR24 until I reset the H24. I tried moving the Power Inserter from behind the H24 to the main splitter as suggested on the DirecTV forums but it didn't completely solve the problem. This last software upgrade apparently fixed the problem though. Both my receivers upgraded sometime last week it has not frozen a single time on playback since the upgrade.

I am still having zero no data packet received issues with the whole home DVR since the software upgrade.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)