Who's Digital OTA Box to Get?

Phoenix1, Electronic devices need to be approved by the U.S. government before they are "out". I dont think that TR-40/DTVPAL will make the June ship date.

Energy Star certification isn't required for CECB program certification, so it's also possible that Echostar just didn't submit one for testing.

I have figured out what I am going to get that Channel Master CM-7000 for the S-Video and an Echostar/Sling Media TR-40 to use up the other coupon. I dont currently need this hardware but for about $40.00 (includes sh.) for both the purchase is cheap enough for me.

With my coupon expiring in just a few days- I was able to pre-order the

Apex DT250 from GlobalApex DT250 Digital Converter Box

which comes in within a week or two to be shipped.

The specs say it has S video and analog pass thru-- we'll see.

Going to switch with a friend later to get the Echostar for my second unit.

With my coupon expiring in just a few days- I was able to pre-order the

Apex DT250 from GlobalApex DT250 Digital Converter Box

which comes in within a week or two to be shipped.

The specs say it has S video and analog pass thru-- we'll see.

Going to switch with a friend later to get the Echostar for my second unit.

After having time for some internet data mining I would get that Apex DT250 over the Channel Master CM-7000 for a S-Video box the Apex dose not have the "lost remote control" buttons on the front but it dose have an on screen display ATSC signal meter bar that most converter boxes (coupon appoved or not) dont have.

Soon the coupons will expire, so I decide to shop around;
checked BB (Insignia); Sears (Magnavox), Target(Venturer).
Took a chance with last one.

What I found inside of the model STB7766G:
- "LG Solution PCB" name (!)
- tuner TDVG-H052F
- main chip LGDT1111D
- RAM HY5DU561622ETP-D43 (32 MB)
- flash S29AL016D70FI02 (2 MB)
- NVRAM 25C256BN

Plus TV In/Out, V/R/L RCA jacks, +9VDC power in nice black little box.
Here is URL to comparision table of many TV convertors.

Last edited:
The Insignia is the same as the LG/Zenith boxes. I read that the Venturer (sold at Target) was also roughly the same. However, it's sooooo tiny. I would rather have the Insignia. Make sure you get one with a build date later than April. A lot of the earlier boxes have issues with the left channel audio.

The Channel Master looks wonderful, but the only place around me that sells it is Fry's. They don't take CECB coupons. :mad:

No one mentioned the Philco. It's made by Funai. It's not bad. It even has analog pass thru for low power signals that won't get cut off in 2009.

Worse than the Magnavox is the GE (sold at Target). It's EXPENSIVE, and it sucks. CNet already panned it.

I'm thinking of getting one to use with a Tivo 540. I'm taking it that many agree that the Zenith and Zenith build Data Stream seem good.

Any thoughts on which works better with Tivo?

I would ask about the RCA at Wally World for $10 less but the comments have not been so flattering. I'm looking for a tuner with a quick response in addition to solid reception. Since Tivo has a guide that's not a high priority.

I decided to take the plunge and used 1 coupon to get the Digital Stream DTX 9950, which is the model with the pass through. Only model my closest RS carries. So far my only complaint is the PQ could be better but truthfully it is a pretty old TV. Picture seems to bounce up & down a tad too.