Who's the greatest American rock band?

Who's the greatest American rock band?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I voted for the Eagles
It was a toss-up between the Eagles and the Beach Boys, from the ones you have listed. I have so many favorite Bands, and I don't think any one of them is the Greatest American Rock Band. There is no Greatest, there are many Great American Bands..!!!!!

I voted Aerosmith... though I don't think any of the "greatest american bands" can even hold a candle to the greats from England (Beatles, Zepplin, Pink Floyd, etc)

The best selling American rock band is Metallica. Over 100 million records sold, and a new record (Death Magnetic) set for release 09/12/08. They get my vote.

The best selling American rock band is Metallica. Over 100 million records sold, and a new record (Death Magnetic) set for release 09/12/08. They get my vote.

Are you kidding?

According to the RIAA, The Eagles have sold 100 million to Metallica's 57 million.

Album sales in millions.

BEATLES, THE 170
BROOKS, GARTH 128
PRESLEY, ELVIS 118.5
LED ZEPPELIN 111.5
EAGLES 100
JOEL, BILLY 79.5
PINK FLOYD 74.5
STREISAND, BARBRA 71
JOHN, ELTON 69.5
AC/DC 69
STRAIT, GEORGE 67.5
AEROSMITH 66.5
ROLLING STONES, THE 66
SPRINGSTEEN, BRUCE 63.5
MADONNA 63.5
CAREY, MARIAH 62.5
JACKSON, MICHAEL 60.5
METALLICA 57
VAN HALEN 56.5
HOUSTON, WHITNEY 54
ROGERS, KENNY 51
U2 50.5
DION, CELINE 50
FLEETWOOD MAC 48.5
DIAMOND, NEIL 48.5
KENNY G 48
TWAIN, SHANIA 48
JOURNEY 46
ALABAMA 46
SANTANA 43
CLAPTON, ERIC 42.5
JACKSON, ALAN 42.5
SEGER, BOB AND THE SILVER BULLET BAND 41
MC ENTIRE, REBA 40.5
GUNS 'N ROSES 39.5
PRINCE 39.5
SIMON & GARFUNKEL 38.5
CHICAGO 38
FOREIGNER 37.5
DYLAN, BOB 37
BACKSTREET BOYS 37
STEWART, ROD 37
2 PAC 36.5
DEF LEPPARD 35
NELSON, WILLIE 35
BON JOVI 34
COLLINS, PHIL 33.5
KELLY, R. 33
TAYLOR, JAMES 33
QUEEN 32.5
DENVER, JOHN 32.5
DOORS, THE 32
MC GRAW, TIM 32
BOSTON 31
SPEARS, BRITNEY 31
MATTHEWS, DAVE BAND 31
DIXIE CHICKS 30.5
RONSTADT, LINDA 30
PEARL JAM 30
OSBOURNE, OZZY 28.75
PETTY, TOM & THE HEARTBREAKERS 28.5
'N SYNC 28
MANNHEIM STEAMROLLER 28
LYNYRD SKYNYRD 28
BOLTON, MICHAEL 28
MELLENCAMP, JOHN 27.5
MANILOW, BARRY 27.5
EMINEM 27
BOYZ II MEN 27
BROOKS & DUNN 26.5
CREEDENCE CLEARWATER REVIVAL 26
JACKSON, JANET 26
BEE GEES 26
ENYA 26
JAY-Z 26
SINATRA, FRANK 25.5
ZZ TOP 25
RUSH 25
HILL, FAITH 25
NIRVANA 25
CARPENTERS, THE 24.5
MILLER, STEVE BAND 24.5
VANDROSS, LUTHER 24.5
GILL, VINCE 24
CREED 24
CARS, THE 23.5
MOTLEY CRUE 23.5
EARTH, WIND & FIRE 23.5
BUFFETT, JIMMY 23
KEITH, TOBY 23
SADE 22.5
HENDRIX, JIMI 22.5
POLICE, THE 22.5
CHESNEY, KENNY 22.5
TLC 22
GREEN DAY 22
RICHIE, LIONEL 22
DOOBIE BROTHERS 22
OUTKAST 22
BEASTIE BOYS 22

Last edited:
Major omission:

Tom Petty & The Hearbreakers

I voted other, as in The Doors!!!!

...and I can think of a dozen bands more worthy of consideration than many on this list. If "Pop" bands like Eagles and Journey are being considered, then perhaps the OP should add the Jackson Five, K.C. and the Sunshine Band, and the Bay City Rollers.

I voted for "Other"...

...and I can think of a dozen bands more worthy of consideration than many on this list. If "Pop" bands like Eagles and Journey are being considered, then perhaps the OP should add the Jackson Five, K.C. and the Sunshine Band, and the Bay City Rollers.

I voted for "Other"...

Except I think the Bay City Rollers were Scottish. But I agree with you.

Or is longevity the criteria. Think of bands that have stayed fresh and continued to draw fans for decades. The Stones is a prime example, except they aren't american. How about the Grateful Dead, Beach Boys or for that matter, Chuck Berry? The last one certainly wins an award for most years headlining the revival circuit. How about the BeeGes as the band that re-invented itself the most?

Bump, well said.

Or is longevity the criteria. Think of bands that have stayed fresh and continued to draw fans for decades. The Stones is a prime example, except they aren't american. How about the Grateful Dead, Beach Boys or for that matter, Chuck Berry? The last one certainly wins an award for most years headlining the revival circuit. How about the BeeGes as the band that re-invented itself the most?

Beach Boys are in the poll. BeeGees are British and Australian.

I voted other for Pearl Jam; might not be everyone's favorite or deemed the "greatest," but if it was not for them, I would not be who or where I am today. As a child growing up, they got me through a tumultuous household :)

This poll is a matter of opinion only. Regardless of record sales, let's face it, everyone is different and enjoys many genre's of music. Who's to say whether we're right or wrong, technically we're all right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)