Who's the greatest American rock band?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Who's the greatest American rock band?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Beach Boys. Their music is still played...most were instant classics.. The Eagles, Fleetwood Mac, Queen, others still use Beach Boys style harmonies, and had it not been for Pet Sounds, there would not have been a Sgt.Pepper...or Dark Side of The Moon.

I voted for CCR, but noticed there were several American rock bands not listed (Lynard Skynard, Crosby Stills and Nash, Doobie Brothers and many many many more):D

Bad Moon Rising...

IMO, Credence defines "Rock & Roll". That got my vote.
I love CCR (they are one of my all-time favorite bands), but the band is nothing without John Fogerty...legendary bands have staying power and can withstand the loss of key members. Additionally, to me CCR is an eclectic mix or Rock, R&B, Country, Folk, etc., and not what I classify as a Rock band.

The best selling American rock band is Metallica. Over 100 million records sold, and a new record (Death Magnetic) set for release 09/12/08. They get my vote.

This was my OTHER vote !!!!

I like Petty, but quite frankly, I really don't think he should be in the discussion for greatest U.S. rock band....
Obviously I do. Must be pretty great to play the Super Bowl.

NSync, Justin Timberflake and New Kids on the Block performed at the SuperBowl as well. I hardly feel that is a qualification for greatness.
You seem to like to throw stones at other people's opinions that don't match yours.

You seem to like to throw stones at other people's opinions that don't match yours.

Your opinion is yours and that's fine. Just clarifying why I didn't feel as if Tom Petty should be a part of the discussion for "all time greatest Rock band". This is a forum. Opinions are debated frequently.

It's a toss up for me between The Beach Boys and The Grateful Dead. Both were incredibly innovative and were the catalyst for entire musical styles. Pet Sounds is arguably the most innovative and influential album ever (The Beatles have stated that this influenced Sgt. Peppers).

A quote from Paul McCartney:
It was Pet Sounds that blew me out of the water. I love the album so much. I've just bought my kids each a copy of it for their education in life ... I figure no one is educated musically 'til they've heard that album

I love CCR (they are one of my all-time favorite bands), but the band is nothing without John Fogerty...legendary bands have staying power and can withstand the loss of key members. Additionally, to me CCR is an eclectic mix or Rock, R&B, Country, Folk, etc., and not what I classify as a Rock band.

I voted CCR and I would respectfully argue your point re: "eclectic mix"- after all, all of the genres you describe pretty much comprise rock and roll. Rock is a child of all of those styles and therefore define CCR as one of the greatest because they were a mix of all of those styles. That said, I may be a bit biased because I grew up in the SF Bay Area during their peak of popularity. However, for What It's Worth (pun intended) if you define "greatest" as pure musicianship, technique and talent, my vote would probably go to CSN (does Nash disqualify them in this poll?). For pure rock n' roll fun, I'd have to vote Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers. Then again, just about any of the big Motown groups would fill the bill for me as well...

Arrrggg. This is a pointless discussion. Nobody will agree what the qualifications for "Greatest" is. Or what "rock" is.. (beach boys? please!) or even what "American" means.. (all members, sales in America, etc...)

Arrrggg. This is a pointless discussion. Nobody will agree what the qualifications for "Greatest" is. Or what "rock" is.. (beach boys? please!) or even what "American" means.. (all members, sales in America, etc...)
C'mon now, if we all agreed, there would be no discussion! Certainly not a spirited debate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)