Why am I being told the 722 and 722k are the same thing?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Regardless of what Dish, their website, or the CSRs say- it's YOUR money. If I wanted the K model, I would make it clear up front, and tell them to put it on the work order. If the guy calls before arriving, repeat yourself. And when he shows up, insist upon seeing the K models FIRST, before ANY work is done. No Ks, cancel the job.

That said, I'm perfectly happy with my ViP722 DVRs.

That's fine to cancel the job. However, nobody can add 722k to a work order. It cannot be done. The technician can't control what product he receives and thus, you receive. Whether it's reman or new, again, the technician can't control this. I simply don't understand why it matters, other than some perceived problem that has been doctored up in the mind of the end user and, frankly, that sounds like your problem not mine. If you're blowing through receiver after receiver and continue to have problems, it's likely the problem lies somewhere else (electrical issues, lnbf, whatever) not that you got 4 "crappy reman receivers."

So please remember, if you're ordering or upgrading, don't harass the tech. If you don't want the equipment he has installed then cancel your order and make sure you verify that you're getting (or not getting) what you want before any work is started.

This is the reality of DISH. The faster you can accept it the better off everyone will be.

It's really pretty simple and revolves around how much recording you want to do. I have a 722 but on Thursday's and Friday's I want to record 4 shows at the same time and cannot. For instance, this Thursday a new show "The Finder" begins but I am already recording 3 other shows. If I were getting new equipment I would insist on the 722K. Yes, I said insist. There are folks at Dish that can make things happen.

It's really pretty simple and revolves around how much recording you want to do. I have a 722 but on Thursday's and Friday's I want to record 4 shows at the same time and cannot. For instance, this Thursday a new show "The Finder" begins but I am already recording 3 other shows. If I were getting new equipment I would insist on the 722K. Yes, I said insist. There are folks at Dish that can make things happen.

True. But is your account worth enough to DISH for them to make things happen for you?

That's fine to cancel the job. However, nobody can add 722k to a work order. It cannot be done. The technician can't control what product he receives and thus, you receive. Whether it's reman or new, again, the technician can't control this. I simply don't understand why it matters, other than some perceived problem that has been doctored up in the mind of the end user and, frankly, that sounds like your problem not mine. If you're blowing through receiver after receiver and continue to have problems, it's likely the problem lies somewhere else (electrical issues, lnbf, whatever) not that you got 4 "crappy reman receivers."

So please remember, if you're ordering or upgrading, don't harass the tech. If you don't want the equipment he has installed then cancel your order and make sure you verify that you're getting (or not getting) what you want before any work is started.

This is the reality of DISH. The faster you can accept it the better off everyone will be.

When my ViP622 finally went bad, I insisted on a ViP722. I made this clear. And when the truck showed up, I checked the box I was to get before any work was done.

Should I ever need to replace one of my ViP722 units, it might not matter too much to me if it was a ViP722 or ViP722K. Some preference for the latter, for the save function. But if Dish or some installer thinks I will accept a ViP622, they're nuts. Ain't gonna happen. I'm happy with Dish, but there are limits. Trying to force a ViP622 down my throat would likely send me to Fios. Keep Dish at the lowest level until I've seen all the EHD material, or recorded it, then "ta ta."

I have been very careful to say "before any work is done" in my posts. And my system is not only stable, I ran a dedicated circuit to it. And I have a very fancy expensive UPS system for it. I don't run thru receivers. It just burns me for anyone to say I must take whats on the truck. NOT! The ViP622 cannot use the sling adapter and has much less space. Not to mention the hopefully corrected HDMI connector problem and limited chipset. This is not some "perceived problem that has been doctored up in the mind of the end user."

I don't go to the car dealer and order a top of the line Accord and then accept the baseline model.

Just an update for everyone. The installer did find another 722k and was able to install. Decided not to care about it being refurb cause as far as I'm concerned they're leased receivers and can be replaced if needed. I'll be ordering my Sling adapter soon. My one question is how do I backup the timers in case the box does need to be replaced? I can't seem to find a setting anywhere.

sevendust2412 said:
Just an update for everyone. The installer did find another 722k and was able to install. Decided not to care about it being refurb cause as far as I'm concerned they're leased receivers and can be replaced if needed. I'll be ordering my Sling adapter soon. My one question is how do I backup the timers in case the box does need to be replaced? I can't seem to find a setting anywhere.

Hold down the number 0 while standing very still. Or better yet place it on table point right toward rcvr. It is sometimes finicky.

.....But is your account worth enough to DISH for them to make things happen for you?
Well, I sure would think so. If you tic off customer after customer you soon do not have customers.
I was a new Dish customer in June 2011. Everything I ordered online was what I received. That made me a happy customer. And with what I already had done, made the installer real happy. (quick job)

Well, I sure would think so. If you tic off customer after customer you soon do not have customers.
I was a new Dish customer in June 2011. Everything I ordered online was what I received. That made me a happy customer. And with what I already had done, made the installer real happy. (quick job)

Your account is also six months old. They don't start making a profit off of your for about another 12 months. Not saying they would or wouldn't, but that is a factor they'd consider.

When my ViP622 finally went bad, I insisted on a ViP722. I made this clear. And when the truck showed up, I checked the box I was to get before any work was done.

Should I ever need to replace one of my ViP722 units, it might not matter too much to me if it was a ViP722 or ViP722K. Some preference for the latter, for the save function. But if Dish or some installer thinks I will accept a ViP622, they're nuts. Ain't gonna happen. I'm happy with Dish, but there are limits. Trying to force a ViP622 down my throat would likely send me to Fios. Keep Dish at the lowest level until I've seen all the EHD material, or recorded it, then "ta ta."

I have been very careful to say "before any work is done" in my posts. And my system is not only stable, I ran a dedicated circuit to it. And I have a very fancy expensive UPS system for it. I don't run thru receivers. It just burns me for anyone to say I must take whats on the truck. NOT! The ViP622 cannot use the sling adapter and has much less space. Not to mention the hopefully corrected HDMI connector problem and limited chipset. This is not some "perceived problem that has been doctored up in the mind of the end user."

I don't go to the car dealer and order a top of the line Accord and then accept the baseline model.

But , you are not paying any more or any less for a 622 then a 722 or a 722k. The way you are posting.. Dish should charge more for the 722k.. Then the 622...

Has anyone here given thought to the number of 722ks currently in use by customers who are not using it for OTA? They simply got one as a new DISH customer or an existing sub who upgraded to HD. They either have poor or no OTA reception, or just don't care about it. Wouldn't it be nice if THEY would trade their 722k for a 722 to simply put more 722ks into circulation for those who really want one? I know my neighbor has a 722k and he does not use it for OTA.

That's fine to cancel the job. However, nobody can add 722k to a work order. It cannot be done.

BS BS BS. Period. It can be done, I am a very long time subscriber to Dish and these forums, I have seen many posts where insistence paid off, and personally my insistence was rewarded in the past. The installer very defiantly can do it. You may have to wait for your appointment but it can be done. And what do you know, the OP here was able to magically get a 722K. It clearly can be done. Specifically through a work order? Don't know, but the installer can do it.
I do agree about a Refirb.

They are not the same. Here are some differences that I can think of: The K version has a bay for an optional module that contains two OTA tuners (you can record 4 streams at one time). The non-K has a single built in OTA tuner. The 722 has S-Video output, the 722k does not. The 722k allows you to back up timers and stuff to the remote. The 722k uses totally different chips and software (the insides of the 722k and 922 are almost the same). Also, some believe that the 722K produces a noticeably brighter, sharper, more vivid picture than the non-K series, however this is subjective.

The 722K is the newer receiver and is still in production. Not sure why he "can't get any", except that there might not be any refurbished ones available right now. When the hard drive in my 722 failed, Dish replaced it with a new 722K without me specifically asking for it. (...maybe because I have been a customer for 12 years, or maybe that was all the installer had on the truck). If it was me, I would try to get the 722K.
Depends on what the tech has on the truck.
If Dish is stating none are available that is 'true but not accurate'...
In other words, they have them, but most likely their warehouses have 722's they want to get out into the field to make room for 722k's.....

Depends on what the tech has on the truck.
If Dish is stating none are available that is 'true but not accurate'...
In other words, they have them, but most likely their warehouses have 722's they want to get out into the field to make room for 722k's.....

Yep.

I own all of my receivers and self-installed the dish[es] - all three of them over the last 17 years as the technology progressed.

Is that why I hear the message, "I can see you are one of our most valuable customers" when I call to swap out receivers?

Does that message not play for leased receiver owners or is all of the customer service [with the exception of the DIRT members] just a smoke screen, put up in an attempt to keep everyone happy?

BS BS BS. Period. It can be done, I am a very long time subscriber to Dish and these forums, I have seen many posts where insistence paid off, and personally my insistence was rewarded in the past. The installer very defiantly can do it. You may have to wait for your appointment but it can be done. And what do you know, the OP here was able to magically get a 722K. It clearly can be done. Specifically through a work order? Don't know, but the installer can do it.
I do agree about a Refirb.

Ya, you're right. I only work for the company. What do I know?

I mean, I ask my warehouse to please stock me up with 722k's as I would prefer to put those in above anything else. They say, none are in stock. We have 1 palette of 722 and 6 palettes of 622.

But, of course you can add 'install a 722k' to a work order....

If you get a CS rep to send you one, that's a whole diff story.

And to navychop, I didn't mean to single you out. Mostly wanted to touch on the part of adding a specific receiver to the work order. Again, it can't be done and giving people the impression that it can be done isn't going to help anyone. Your advice to verify with the installer before work is done is good advice.

Ya, you're right. I only work for the company. What do I know?

I do not mean this to be harsh....... but.... That's the kind of thinking that loses customers. I understand that you either you won't, or feel you just can not get the customer what they want. But my experience has been, and even just in this thread supported, that it indeed can be done. And there have been numerous installers at the forums that came here and learned something they did not know.
I can't contact my neighbor he is away, but I am quite sure he followed my advice and also just got the 722K he wanted when they came without it. (I will post when I find out)
There are always policies companies have for a good reason, then there are those that is simply because it is better for the company, but not necessarily for the customer. Because the warehouse or the installer wants to lower the stock of a certain model has nothing at all to do with good customer care. There are plenty of people who do not care or even know the difference, and they can get what you want. Why not take care of the discerning customer? There are obviously installers who will go to lengths, and those who don't, as in most any industry.

Last edited:
True. But is your account worth enough to DISH for them to make things happen for you?

I suppose that's up to them. They certainly have had no problems cashing the checks I've been sending them for the last 4 years. The bottom line is really this. They are not the only fish in this sea. I'm pretty sure Directv would be happy to send me their new HR24 (they've already offered) and give me half off for the first year and have me sign a 2 year contract. I've spent over 40 years in customer related business and if customer retention is not you primary goal then you won't be around very long.

I suppose that's up to them. They certainly have had no problems cashing the checks I've been sending them for the last 4 years. The bottom line is really this. They are not the only fish in this sea. I'm pretty sure Directv would be happy to send me their new HR24 (they've already offered) and give me half off for the first year and have me sign a 2 year contract. I've spent over 40 years in customer related business and if customer retention is not you primary goal then you won't be around very long.

But surely you agree, there are customers you should "fire."

I currently have a 722K and I do not suffer any slow guide problems. Had 3 722's before the K and I really like the K better! The OTA mod is great and record 4 streams at once nearly all the time! I hate watching live television with commercials and all!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)