Why am I getting an OTA Error 739 on just...

checking1t_out

Original poster
Jan 20, 2007
Why am I getting an OTA Error 739 on just one channel? Yes, just one channel. All the other OTAs come through just fine. The one that does not: PBS SoCal, #50.
It started several days ago, for no apparent reason.

I have a Dish DVR VIP612.

I have:
  • unplugged it from the wall
  • removed the card (the one in the front that looks like a credit card; I forgot what it's called :coco )
  • deleted 50 from the channel list, and then had to manually add it back (which was no easy task since 50 does not appear (for long) on a "scan for locals" function.)
Any help? Thanks! :)

Stations do have equipment failures at times. Have you called or e-mailed the engineer for that channel or checked its website, Facebook or Twitter feed to see if others are having trouble with the signal from that channel? Our locals sometimes get knocked off the air for hours or days by lightning (even longer for hurricanes).

Atmospheric conditions can allow a channel from a different market to interfere with your broadcast channel. Usually changes during the day but morning and nights are most susceptible.

Why am I getting an OTA Error 739 on just one channel? Yes, just one channel. All the other OTAs come through just fine. The one that does not: PBS SoCal, #50.
It started several days ago, for no apparent reason.

I have a Dish DVR VIP612.

I have:
  • unplugged it from the wall
  • removed the card (the one in the front that looks like a credit card; I forgot what it's called :coco )
  • deleted 50 from the channel list, and then had to manually add it back (which was no easy task since 50 does not appear (for long) on a "scan for locals" function.)
Any help? Thanks! :)

What we're letting customers know when this happens is; The antenna selection and placement will yield the best reception. If you have difficulty receiving off-air broadcast channels or have questions about these channels please contact your local broadcast station and/or www.antennaweb.org as we are a satellite programming provider and have no control over availability, reception, or quality of local Off-Air broadcasts.

Do you have a way to attach the antenna directly to the TV? If so, do a scan on the TV and see if you can get channel 50 that way... I actually have a splitter on my antenna lead and go to both the TV and Dish receiver at the same time.

The error is caused by lack of signal. If you give me the calls to channel 50 I can check to see if their having issues

Thank you all for your replies! :hatsoff
  • I checked online and there is nothing posted about this station having any trouble with their channel.
  • I, too, have a splitter so that the signal goes to both the TV and the Dish box. The channel appears just fine via the TV.
  • The rooftop antenna placement should be just fine, especially since it's been there for years with no trouble---until recently, that is.
  • I don't think that atmospheric conditions are a factor in this case since the channel in question is viewable via the TV.
  • The channel in question: KOCE-TV, virtual channel 50 (UHF digital channel 48). (They call themselves: PBS SoCal.

If the antenna has been up for years things like connectors and splits in the coax can allow moisture intrusion. This can cause corrosion in the connectors and in the coax which can affect reception.

Reactions: KAB