Why am I not recieving all the Fox Sports Nets?

jcs1744

Original poster
Sep 11, 2005
I just moved up here to Grand Forks, ND. and ordered Dish. I had it installed and activated on Friday morning. I have a Dish 811 system and my roommate has a Dish DVR reciever--hooked up to a Super Dish. We subscribed to the Top 120 package and the HD package. One of my biggest reasons for getting a dish was to watch the New York sports networks, and I was under the impression that you recieved it with the Top 120.

However, the only Fox Sports Network that is appearing on my channel listings is Fox Sports North. None of the other 19 Fox Sports/other sports networks advertised are showing up. What is the problem here? Is it the equipment or is it something geographical? All I do know is that my folks back in Dallas have the exact same setup and packages and they have all the 20 sports networks.

Anyone know what the hell is up? I'll be extremely disappointed if I can't get my NY sports networks.

Fox Sports Net

Bad news, the only Fox Sports Net (FSN) you should get in the AT120 or the AT180 package is the one that services your area. You can get the Mult-sports package ($5.99 per month)that will give you all of the FSN and other sports nets, but almost 99.5 percent of the games will be black out. Did you get your service from a retailer? just curious.

jcs1744 said:
I just moved up here to Grand Forks, ND. and ordered Dish. I had it installed and activated on Friday morning. I have a Dish 811 system and my roommate has a Dish DVR reciever--hooked up to a Super Dish. We subscribed to the Top 120 package and the HD package. One of my biggest reasons for getting a dish was to watch the New York sports networks, and I was under the impression that you recieved it with the Top 120.

However, the only Fox Sports Network that is appearing on my channel listings is Fox Sports North. None of the other 19 Fox Sports/other sports networks advertised are showing up. What is the problem here? Is it the equipment or is it something geographical? All I do know is that my folks back in Dallas have the exact same setup and packages and they have all the 20 sports networks.

Anyone know what the hell is up? I'll be extremely disappointed if I can't get my NY sports networks.

Both Dish and DirecTV advertise all of the Regional Sports channels that are available, but both providers only offer YOUR OWN RSN in your basic programing package.

DirecTV offers all the rest in several packages, Dish offers the Multisports package (all RSN's except for *Fox Sports West 2* for an additional $4.99 per month.

Be aware the RSN's only own the Major League Sports rights for a small geographic region (Hence the term Regional Sports channel). If you purchase the extra RSN's ala carte you WILL NOT BE ABLE to receive any Major League sports games from them UNLESS you qualify for multiple regional channels or teams (BASED on your service address's Zip Code). Spill over RSN's or some teams rights are only available in a few markets.

If you want multiple showings or Time Zones of Sports Talk, or Minor League sports or addtional content like Motocross or Rodeo riding then the Multisport package might be right for you. If you want access to other regions local Major league games then you will be disappointed.

The only way to get out of market sports is to subscribe to the Leagues out of market package, like NHL Center ICE, ESPN GamePlan, NBA Ticket etc...

John

Hehe, ya know this is a little off topic, but I find it funny how people claim that Dish Network can't do custom programming packages for all their customers, yet they have the most F***ing intricate blackout system for sports. Sports sports sports, it'll be just like a sports bar!

Really though, I can't believe they dedicate so much to one type of programming.

What you get for $5.99 in the sports pack:

_Professional sporting events:
Arena Football League
Major Indoor Soccer League
National Lacrosse League
Canadian Football League
National Basketball Association (only on NBA TV)
Major League Baseball (Spring Training)
Major League Baseball (partial games that run over scheduled time)
Classic replays (some)
Caribbean World Series
International soccer
Minor league hockey
Minor league baseball
Boxing
Kickboxing
Billiards
Golf (a little RSN coverage)
Beach volleyball
Auto racing
Rodeo
Pro wrestling

_Amateur sporting events:
College football*
College men's basketball*
College women's basketball*
College baseball*
College softball
College hockey
College gymnastics
College track and field
College volleyball
High school football
High school basketball
High school volleyball
High school baseball

_Other:
Coaches' shows
Regional sports news shows
League/sport roundup shows
General sports discussion shows
Team reports
Pregame shows
Postgame shows
Horce racing highlights
Music (Altitude)
Cheerleading
Poker
Hunting shows
Fishing shows
Boating shows
Darts
Sports documentaries

PLUS lots of opportunities to time-shift Fox Sports Net filler:
Best Damn Sports Show Period
Beyond the Glory
Fox Sports Net Across America
The Sports List
and so much more

_What you don't get:
Most major league professional sports events
Some college games

*The rule of thumb for what you don't get is that anything that's available as part of a PPV package will be blacked out on the RSNs. That includes all the major professional sports and some college sports, mainly in conference and tournament games.

And a big YMMV because the blackouts can change from year to year.

My advice is to go to an online TV listing service (I use Excite for this) and choose all the RSNs you'd get with the sports pack. Then browse around from day to day and see exactly what's on. Only you can decide whether it's worth the money to you.

what everyone has stated is correct, this has really nothing to do with the provider, anyway you go up there without order MLB extra innings, etc will leave you dissappointed no matter if you choose Direct or Dish or god forbid Mid continent cable in your neck of the woods. Don't forget to hit the Red Pepper up there, best grinders in the world
go Sioux

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=Sport

sport (spôrt, sprt). n.

1. Physical activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively.
2. A particular form of this activity.
3. An activity involving physical exertion and skill that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often undertaken competitively.
4. An active pastime; recreation.

Let's see...
A physical activity?
Auto racing...Yes
(if you say no, try it for just a little while and try to tell me no again.)
Cards...?

Governed by a set of rules or customs?
Auto racing...yes
Card...Yes

Engaged in competitively?
Auto racing...yes
Cards...yes

An activity involving physical ecertion?
Auto racing...yes (again, those that doubt this, try it just once!)
Cards...?

and skill that is governed by a set of rules?
Auto racing...yes
Cards..Yes

Active passtime?
Auto racing... yes
Cards... ? I guess it depends on your definition of "active"

I'm not saying that card playing is not an activity devoid of skill. But a sport?

See ya
Tony

I have tried it as you say... and I still don't consider it a physical activity. Sure after a 500 mile race you are drained, tired and sweaty. But come on I get that way just by being in my attic. It's called not having air conditioning when its 150 degrees. If that constitutes physical activity I guess sitting in a sauna for 3 hours would to. Physical activity would actually constitute doing something, not just sitting in one place or position for three hours without moving.

I don't believe you. Anyone who has ever driven a car in a real race, especially in short tracks, knows that "sitting in one place" isn't exactly what goes on there. The sweat is not from just heat and if you have ever really driven a car in a race, you know that. First timers are usually out of breath and have to be helped out of their cars due to exhastion.

But believe what you will.

See ya
Tony

Definition of physical activity:

All leisure and non-leisure body movement produced by the skeletal muscles and resulting in an increase in energy expenditure.

is bodily movement produced by skeletal muscle contraction resulting in a substantial increase in energy expenditure (3,6). Physical activity has both an occupational and leisure basis that includes both active recreation pursuits like golf, tennis, and swimming. It also includes other active pastimes like gardening, cutting wood, and carpentry. Physical activity can provide progressive health benefits and be a catalyst for improving health attitudes, health habits, and lifestyle

Where does sitting completely still holding a steering wheel fall into play here.

This is silly.

Of course drivers are athletes, and as competition has increased they have become more and more aware of the need for physical conditioning in their sport, they compete in a competition that demands physical strength/endurance, mental fortitude and hand-eye coordination. They compete for a prize. Records are kept. Sounds like an athletic competition with athletes to me.

Are Major League Baseball pitchers athletes? Are golfers athletes?

You've obviously never driven a race car, your "sitting completely still holding a steering wheel" comment confirms that.

For anyone still sceptical I offer the following.

http://www.sptimes.com/2003/02/21/Grandprix/Fit__fast__and_for_re.shtml

NightRyder

bpickell said:
Where does sitting completely still holding a steering wheel fall into play here.

As stated in the previous message, it is obvious you have no idea what a driver has to do to STAY sitting still and hold on to that steering wheel!

See ya
Tony

Didn't anyone notice I listed Poker under "Other", the category that also includes Music and Darts? Whatever you want to call it, it's something you get more of with the Sports Pack. Only you can decide whether that's a recommendation or a warning. ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts