Why are certain teams and cities 'cursed' in sports?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

BillD1984

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Apr 9, 2008
MA
After watching the two events at the TD Garden unfold the last two nights, this question occurred to me..........

Thursday night at the Garden, the Cavaliers were eliminated, prolonging a 46 year championship drought in the city of Cleveland. And less than 24 hours later at the same arena, the Bruins inexplicably blow a 3-0 lead in not only the series, but in game 7 itself. It's now going on almost 40 years since the Bruins have hoisted Lord Stanley's Cup!

Then there's the Cubs who have gone over 100 years since winning the World Series. The odds on that are mind-boggling! And there's many other examples out there, also.

Yes, teams like the Red Sox and White Sox have finally reached the pinnacle of their sport after years of futility. But look what it took to get there for those teams (especially the Red Sox). Year after torturous year of failure when it mattered most!

So why is it that teams like the Yankees, Lakers, Celtics, Canadiens, Steelers, etc. roll merrily along stockpiling championship after championship, while these other teams get their fans hopes up for a championship....only to be let down in some of the cruelest ways imaginable?

IMO, it's the pressure of finally delivering what the fans crave so badly that make these teams (players, coaches, managers, etc) fail to produce a championship.

The Yankees and Lakers are desirable employment venues for top notch players because of economics, whereas the Celtics and Steelers have dry spells. I don't know enough about hockey to have an opinion on how the historic significance of Montreal in hockey may be self-perpetuating.

After watching the two events at the TD Garden unfold the last two nights, this question occurred to me..........

Thursday night at the Garden, the Cavaliers were eliminated, prolonging a 46 year championship drought in the city of Cleveland. And less than 24 hours later at the same arena, the Bruins inexplicably blow a 3-0 lead in not only the series, but in game 7 itself. It's now going on almost 40 years since the Bruins have hoisted Lord Stanley's Cup!

Then there's the Cubs who have gone over 100 years since winning the World Series. The odds on that are mind-boggling! And there's many other examples out there, also.

Yes, teams like the Red Sox and White Sox have finally reached the pinnacle of their sport after years of futility. But look what it took to get there for those teams (especially the Red Sox). Year after torturous year of failure when it mattered most!

So why is it that teams like the Yankees, Lakers, Celtics, Canadiens, Steelers, etc. roll merrily along stockpiling championship after championship, while these other teams get their fans hopes up for a championship....only to be let down in some of the cruelest ways imaginable?

IMO, it's the pressure of finally delivering what the fans crave so badly that make these teams (players, coaches, managers, etc) fail to produce a championship.

Ownership.

Ownership.

Ownership is a HUGE start.
Not only ownership, but smart ownership.
They have to be able to put the right pieces together in the GM spots and on down.

It really depends on how much money you want to spend.

There was something yesterday saying that the richest owner in the MLB was the person who owned the Washington Nationals. When compaired to the owner of the Yankees he didnt even come close.

It really depends on how much money you want to spend.

There was something yesterday saying that the richest owner in the MLB was the person who owned the Washington Nationals. When compaired to the owner of the Yankees he didnt even come close.

I don't think money is the only reason, it's not what makes teams good. When the Yankees were winning all those world series before free agency became a factor they were probably spending around the same as everyone plus football and basketball have a salary cap so that point is moot.

It's a team putting a competitive team on the field, ice or hard wood every year and having a good core of players and coaches every year.

As much as the players, coaches and owners don't want to admit it, a lot of it has to do with nerves. After a team or city goes so long without a championship, they feel the pressure to deliver when given. When on the verge, the nerves get the best of them. Cleveland has plenty of examples. More than I'd like to relive by posting...

I will say though, as soon as a team in this city breaks through, it will be a tremendous burden lifted off this city.

I agree. The nervous/negative energy of the entire region can be an overwhelming burden to everybody involved with the team.

Toss in the Detroit Lions who have been woeful since being purchased by the William Clay Ford family in 1963. They went from a championship caliber team, having won several league championshps during the '50s and early '60s, to a team having won only 1 playoff game during the Ford family era...and obviosly appearing in zero (0) SuperBowls since the AFL-NLF merger. The Lions have great fans, but they are cursed by the worst ownership in professional sports history.

As much as the players, coaches and owners don't want to admit it, a lot of it has to do with nerves. After a team or city goes so long without a championship, they feel the pressure to deliver when given. When on the verge, the nerves get the best of them. Cleveland has plenty of examples. More than I'd like to relive by posting...

I will say though, as soon as a team in this city breaks through, it will be a tremendous burden lifted off this city.

You could say the same for Buffalo (though the Sabres are the only team that could do so for a while; the Bills won't contend again until 2014)

Ownership is a HUGE start.
Not only ownership, but smart ownership.
They have to be able to put the right pieces together in the GM spots and on down.

The Detroit Lions are game, set, and match, as proof that point Jimbo!:D

Sorry Riff, didn't read all the posts. As usual, my mouth was in motion before my brain was in gear.

Are you kidding me? Look how many years the Steelers went as the laughing stock of the NFL and now they ARE one of the elites.

Your cities problem IS ownership, look at the drafts in the NFL......look at the people the Cavs bring in to surround Princess James.......Indians well they are a small market team, they had their chance but came up short.

Look at it this way, any team in the AL east is pretty much screwed because they have to play the Yankees in their division.

The NL Central is pretty much screwed also due to the fact that there are 6 teams in that division, which is one of the factors that makes it harder for the Cubs to make it to the play offs.

What really needs to happen is they need to take 1 team out of the NL central and move them to the AL West to even out the number of teams.

I think for the Cubs it has just become a self-fulfilling prophecy. Kind of like with golf, if you approach the tee saying to yourself that you are going to duff the drive, you end up duffing the drive. There is so much pressure on the Cubs, and such an expectation that they will fail, I think plays a factor.

And on the flip side, build a history and tradition of winning, and it tends to work for you. The Yankees were the most storied team in baseball long before George Steinbrenner.

Of course, smart owners/management and boat-loads of money helps too. :)

Look at it this way, any team in the AL east is pretty much screwed because they have to play the Yankees in their division.

The NL Central is pretty much screwed also due to the fact that there are 6 teams in that division, which is one of the factors that makes it harder for the Cubs to make it to the play offs.

What really needs to happen is they need to take 1 team out of the NL central and move them to the AL West to even out the number of teams.

This would depend highly on WHO the team was moving.

Thanks Again Claude :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts