Why are certain teams and cities 'cursed' in sports?

I think for the Cubs it has just become a self-fulfilling prophecy. Kind of like with golf, if you approach the tee saying to yourself that you are going to duff the drive, you end up duffing the drive. There is so much pressure on the Cubs, and such an expectation that they will fail, I think plays a factor.

And on the flip side, build a history and tradition of winning, and it tends to work for you. The Yankees were the most storied team in baseball long before George Steinbrenner.

Of course, smart owners/management and boat-loads of money helps too. :)

If the Cubs were to Win it All, for the first time in ALL of our lifetimes, they would turn into , just another team in the NL Central .... unless the ownership stepped up big time to ensure that they would continue with top notch players.

If the Cubs were to Win it All, for the first time in ALL of our lifetimes, they would turn into , just another team in the NL Central .... unless the ownership stepped up big time to ensure that they would continue with top notch players.

I agree. They make a lot of money out of being the perennial losers. :)

I don't know about that. Pre-1994 you always heard that if the Rangers ever won the Stanley Cup people would be less infatuated with the team, as their quest for the Holy Grail was over. They claimed the sellouts would stop, and everyone would stop obsessing about them.

They could not have been more wrong. After the Cup, (and even now, 16 years after the Cup) it became even more difficult to get tickets. Typical Islander fans, thinking Ranger fans were front-runners like them. :rolleyes:

The Red Sox did not become 'just another team in the AL East' when they finally broke through and won it all either.

Sandra

I don't know about that. Pre-1994 you always heard that if the Rangers ever won the Stanley Cup people would be less infatuated with the team, as their quest for the Holy Grail was over. They claimed the sellouts would stop, and everyone would stop obsessing about them.

They could not have been more wrong. After the Cup, (and even now, 16 years after the Cup) it became even more difficult to get tickets. Typical Islander fans, thinking Ranger fans were front-runners like them. :rolleyes:

The Red Sox did not become 'just another team in the AL East' when they finally broke through and won it all either.

Sandra

I may be wrong, but, across the US, not everyone talks about the NY Rangers, like the yankees or Cubs.

I look at the Cubs as being the ones that are at the top in the NL, not for winning, just every day talk.

Yes, the Rangers are huge in the NE, but not elsewhere, such as the Wings or Pens.

If the Detroit Lions ever won the SB (rip, not in my lifetime) they would be just another team the next year.

I may be wrong, but, across the US, not everyone talks about the NY Rangers, like the yankees or Cubs.

I look at the Cubs as being the ones that are at the top in the NL, not for winning, just every day talk.

Yes, the Rangers are huge in the NE, but not elsewhere, such as the Wings or Pens.

If the Detroit Lions ever won the SB (rip, not in my lifetime) they would be just another team the next year.

Not sure how much 'across the US' has to do with it. We're talking about the fan base, whether they're in Chicago (where most Cub fans are anyway) or spread out more around the country.

I think the Red Sox fit the criteria you created though...this is after all, 'Red Sox Nation'. (but it's the Yankees Universe!)

I also don't think the Penguins or the Wings are that much of a national thing. Obviousy a lot of people have moved out of Detroit and Pittsburgh and still hold allegiance, which is why they show up in games where they moved to, places like Miami, Phoenix and Los Angeles.

I can tell you there very few Red Wing fans in this area, apparently not many of them moved to New York. And the Penguins are still despised because of Mario Lemieux, not Sydney Crosby.

Sandra

Talk about cursed...this is pretty funny

The Wolfies put a full page ad in yesterday's Mpls Star Tribune trying to get fans enthused about the Wolves. Checking records the Wolves have NEVER moved up in the draft and more often moved down...so in the full page ad the one line is the best

"Thats right. The basketball gods decided to kick us in the teeth again" :eek:

Attachments

• PICT0017.JPG
    PICT0017.JPG
    849.6 KB · Views: 119
  • PICT0018.JPG
    PICT0018.JPG
    861.6 KB · Views: 135

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts