Why are channel numbers different on 612 vs 722k?

shortspark

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 11, 2007
texas
A few weeks ago I notice neither of my two WD EHDs were being recognized on my bedroom's 612 receiver. They always worked before and still work very well on my living room's 722k receiver. I worked with Dish tech reps on-line to no avail so they sent me a new 612. I set it up and let it do its thing in getting signals, channels and locals. When I went back to it after downloading I noticed the channels were much different than my old 612 and my 722k. For example, my old 612 and my 722k show the HBO channels as 300, 301, etc. The new 612 shows them to be something like in the 9--- something or other. CNN-HD for example is channel 200 on my 722k but something entirely different on this new 612. Same with the golf channel and everything else.

When I go to "All HD" guide or "All Channel" guide, they do not even show a channel 200 for CNN-HD. I can't figure this out. It screws everything up because the channels for group stations such as HBO, Showtime, Cinemax, etc. are no longer all together like they use to be and still are on my 722. Also, instead of pushing three numbers for a channel such as 300 for HBO, now I have to push four numbers. Does anyone know what is going on?

The channel mapdown feature isn't working. I would locate the Factory Defaults button and hit it. ;)

The first thing I tried was Speedy Gonzales suggestion and it worked! When I set up the receiver I failed to enable the DIShHD channels. Now I have them all as before - thanks!!

I don't remember ever turning that on... I'll bet it's on by (factory) default. ;)

I don't remember ever turning that on... I'll bet it's on by (factory) default. ;)

You are right, I'm sure it is on by default. When I set up the new 612 I got confused because that particular page involved local channels. Dish does not carry my local channels in HD (and probably never will because I live in the sticks and the market is tiny), so, when I saw the box for DishHD channels to be enabled or disabled I thought they meant only the local DishHD channels, not all HD channels. Accordingly, since I can not get DishHD locals, I disabled it, not realizing what I was doing. Yes, Speedy is a good guy to have around!!

Of course the new receiver was sent to me because the two EHDs I use in that room were no longer being recognized for some reason. Well, they still are not being recognized. When I plug them in, one at a time and in either front or rear usb port, they just sit there. After a few minutes the receiver will sometimes say the usb device plugged in is not supported but most of the time I get nothing, no indication that I've even plugged anything in. When I go to "My Media", it says no device at all is plugged in. I've used different cables with the same results. For some reason, the WD "My Book" EHDs that worked so well before on the 612 are now only working on the 722k. So switching out the 612s was for nothing. I told the Dish tech to fire me down a signal to enable my receiver and he did again, but still no go. I hooked up to the new 612 two other EHDs, a SimpleTech 500 and another WD 500, although this one is newer and is not a "My Book", like the other two that no longer work. The receiver recognized both of these so I know there is nothing wrong with the 612. There is something that happened probably in a software update to me that zapped my ability to use the "My Book" EHDs. At least they work on the 722k so my archives are fine. I don't want to get this thread off on another subject but I wonder if Speedy or anyone else has any quick thoughts on this?

When did they stop working?

What are the exact models are the EHD's that no longer work with just the 612?

I didn't see any s/w updates in the past few weeks for the 612 that had anything to do with EHD, but it's starting to sound like a compatibility problem

Bizarre. I think I'm on the same firmware as you, yet I'm having no trouble with my My Book on either my 722 or my 612. I did modify the My Book, however. It formerly had a WD10EADS inside, but now it has a WD15EARS instead.

When did they stop working?

What are the exact models are the EHD's that no longer work with just the 612?

I didn't see any s/w updates in the past few weeks for the 612 that had anything to do with EHD, but it's starting to sound like a compatibility problem

Speedy, I was just about to send you that information with model numbers and all but thought I would try one last thing and I think I found the problem. I often take my one WD EHD in the living room that is hooked up to my 722k and take it to the bedroom to play it on the 612, and vice versa, taking the other WD EHD I keep in the bedroom which is hooked up to the 612 and bringing it to the living room on occasion and playing it through the 722k. I do not take the power cords or usb cable, however, keeping them plugged in all the time in both the living room and the bedroom. Well, I discovered that the power block (or cord) in the bedroom was faulty. I took the power transformer from the living room, put it in the bedroom and hooked up both EHDs and they now both work with the 612. It was just a bad power block I had that I was using with the EHDs in the bedroom. I had switched usb cables before and that did nothing to solve the problem but I never thought of switching the power cords until now. So all is well. I don't know why I always do these sort of things, ie, finding the hardest way to go instead of first considering the easiest possible solution!! Thanks for getting back to me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)