Why are people going bananas over hd fta?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
The majority of sports that I want and watch are KU. heck, I renamed Gal17(SBS6) on my receiver to HockeySat. :) But hockey (all levels) is not all I watch. I could build quite a list of sports we find.

I love hockey as well

Thats how I want to start.

If you're looking for something like DishNetwork or DirecTV where you sit down, hit the guide button, and decide what to watch then FTA isn't for you.

It's a hunt...hunt down your ball game...and then enjoy it, especially the ones your buddies can't even order via PPV.

There is only one HD channel on fta. So why is evryone going crazy over the fortec and mercury hd receivers?

sports feeds...plain and simple...As noted plenty of times :)

last night on one satellite I saw 2 HD games..one bouncy ball and one hockey game. The bouncey ball game was a good game and the hockey game I couldnt see otherwise (it would have been blacked out normally)

on average i can see 3 or 4 HD games a night

And For The Future?

So I read that there's alot of sports on the HD side of FTA, are people using more C-Band for this or KU band. If it's on KU then I might think of getting myself an HD receiver. I'm mostly interested in baseball, basketball and football (all pro sports). Any information would be helpful.

How many hd channels does someone get from fta? When I read a list of channels, how do I know that they are unscrambled? How does the hd compare pq wise compared to Dish? I am new to this fta, Can you tell?:)

So I read that there's alot of sports on the HD side of FTA, are people using more C-Band for this or KU band. If it's on KU then I might think of getting myself an HD receiver. I'm mostly interested in baseball, basketball and football (all pro sports). Any information would be helpful.

KU Band and its mainly bouncey ball & hockey. Football & Baseball is usually C-Band

How many hd channels does someone get from fta? When I read a list of channels, how do I know that they are unscrambled? How does the hd compare pq wise compared to Dish? I am new to this fta, Can you tell?:)

1. channels? One 24/7 on KU and that is PBS. The rest as noted are feeds. These just pop up for a game and then disappear
2. HD quality? its from the source. Its the feed that goes from the site to the studio so there is no compression. The studio would then get that signal, and resend it out on their channel. Dish grabs that channel, compresses it and resends it out. You do the math :)

How much to set up a system fta system?? I would take it that it has to be set up for one tv, not two. When a football game is on and you are not sure if it is fta, do you surf the system to see if you can pick it up?? Is that the only way to find if a program is showing?? Thanks for the info.

One could spend all of ones time surfing or take advantage of the activity of many surfers. That is look for forums and email lists frequented by people who are surfing and post what they find. You could find the game you are looking for much faster this way. It is appreciated if you post what you find if it has not been posted already. :)

As to the HD, many times that is the only feed of a game.

As to compression, all HD is compressed and then compressed and then compressed again by the time the home viewer sees it, but as mentioned it don't get any better than the feed from the source(the game venue). :)

Last edited:
If you're looking for something like DishNetwork or DirecTV where you sit down, hit the guide button, and decide what to watch then FTA isn't for you.

It's a hunt...hunt down your ball game...and then enjoy it, especially the ones your buddies can't even order via PPV.
I think you may be right.. I just happend to be home sick Today ,but normally I'm not even home untill dark. It doesn't sound like I have time for whats involved.

I think you may be right.. I just happend to be home sick Today ,but normally I'm not even home untill dark. It doesn't sound like I have time for whats involved.

I don't have much time either but still manage to find some good things here and there and catch a few weird games on the weekends. One thing I do enjoy is the RTN's and such on G10R.

experience helps

Based on what I've read . . .
The wise game-hunter would keep a log of where things have been...
... and look there first when it's expected again.

Likewise, he'd learn just where the more likely places are to look.
So, it's not like you'd be blind-scanning the whole sky.

The hints given in just this thread, should be a good start.
Reading other such similar threads on this forum would supply even more basic info.

Anole is correct;

The networks tend to use the same SR and the same satellites; so its just a matter of finding the frequency.

I look at the gofast site to see what people find. They are faster than me at locating events. I also see some of the "regulars" here over there, too.

The non-compressed HD picture of a sports backhaul on a 10 foot dish is amazing (particularly on my 1080P HD, 10,000-1 contrast ratio TV)!

Even the CBS network NFL feeds are soking (except when i watch the Dolphins; the picture may be great, but i don't like what I see).

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)