Why are you upgrading?

Paradox-SJ

SatelliteGuys Pro
Nov 20, 2003
San Jose, California
I would imagine that unless:

A: You've been waiting for the MPEG4 622 specificly because you have the boat anchor of a 921 or one of the older HD recievers

B. You find ESPN2 / UniversalHD and 5 more VOOM channels compelling material.

C. Your HD LIL is or will be soon avaialable

If there is another reason and I am sure there are please share.

I am not in a rush to upgrade as the 'deal' being offered to 942 owners is insulting (at the very least) plus none of the new content is compelling to me. My 942 works just fine...and I imagine that when the day comes and I am forced to upgrade they will then offer a REAL deal for me to do so. (wishfull think on my part)

LER

Supporter / Pub Member / Server Weenie
Sep 28, 2003
Round Rock, TX US
I just got a HDTV, and refuse to have a non-DVR receiver, and the 622 is the smartest move for me.

I made sure that I had all the right satellites and switches when I did the new install here.

LER

oliver

Jul 29, 2005
Shreveport, LA
Bought a HDTV to watch HD. The upgrade from a 942 to a 622 will provide the best opportunity to enjoy the most HD available. Formerly was a Time Warner customer for many years, but their service has continued to decline. Join Dish w/ a 942 in June '05 and have been extremely happy. Would love to have the 622 now, but I can wait until April...

jrbdmb

SatelliteGuys Pro
Apr 5, 2004
I'm just continually surprised at the number of Dish Network HD subs who are willing to get bent over the proverbial barrel again and again by Charlie. After getting burned on the 921 and burned again on the 942, they are beating each other over the head to be the first in line to get the 622. I'm so glad I'm not a bleeding-edge techie ...

BlackHitachi

Medford Oregon
Supporting Founder
Oct 17, 2003
Medford, Oregon
Paradox-SJ said:
I would imagine that unless:

A: You've been waiting for the MPEG4 622 specificly because you have the boat anchor of a 921 or one of the older HD recievers

B. You find ESPN2 / UniversalHD and 5 more VOOM channels compelling material.

C. Your HD LIL is or will be soon avaialable

If there is another reason and I am sure there are please share.

I am not in a rush to upgrade as the 'deal' being offered to 942 owners is insulting (at the very least) plus none of the new content is compelling to me. My 942 works just fine...and I imagine that when the day comes and I am forced to upgrade they will then offer a REAL deal for me to do so. (wishfull think on my part)

I have to AGREE with you here!! I would like espn 2 because i enjoy baseball more now that my son is into it. Now if and when they add more HD content then yea maybe but now i am so mad at dish the only thing i want to but is a 411 and have the 5000 mod done to it.

mdonnelly

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Aug 26, 2004
Mustang, OK
jrbdmb said:
I'm just continually surprised at the number of Dish Network HD subs who are willing to get bent over the proverbial barrel again and again by Charlie. After getting burned on the 921 and burned again on the 942, they are beating each other over the head to be the first in line to get the 622. I'm so glad I'm not a bleeding-edge techie ...
If I had laid out the money for a 942 last year, I'd be hollering too. I didn't though. I got a free 811 (well, $50 upgrade fee) from Dish when I signed up, and traded a 311 for another 811 last year about this time. So, there I was with two 811s (one owned, one leased), two 311s (both owned, both free). They were all costing me $5/month, except for one of them, with the lease fee included in the cost of the programming pack.

The upgrade offer was to send back a receiver and pay $49 shipping for the 211. I did that, no regrets. I sent back a 311, and got a $25 credit. Net cost, $24 to upgrade, plus apparently $5/month new lease fee. Not bad for ESPN2, UHD, WorldSport, and locals in HD when they're available.

Would I do it again? Hell, yes! Soon as I can, I'll send back another receiver for a Vip222, sell the 811, and send back another 311.

Weezknight

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jan 10, 2006
Philly 'Burbs, PA
jrbdmb said:

I agree with you here. My 811 was free with installation so I have a very easy upgrade path ... if I wanted it. However in doing so I would accrue $14.00/month extra in programming fees, plus the $49.00 to upgrade to the 211, or $299 to go to the 622. And what, exactly does this get me?

VOOM channels in HD-Lite that re-run the same programs over and over? Universal HD I have previewed for free during the Olympics and all it seems to be is Quantum Leap, Knight Rider, and other old shows in HD, again, not that compelling. Finally I'd get ESPN2-HD which I'm sure is the same as ESPN-HD where I get to see more stuff in 4:3 and logo-bars than anything else.

I am also surprised how easily people are buying into this. HD is great, but I'm not going to watch crappy programming just because it's in HD.

riffjim4069

SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Apr 7, 2004
SatelliteGuystonfieldville, U.S.A.
jrbdmb said:
I see your point, but in my case I have three HDTVs, love HD and VOOM programming, and live in poorly managed Adelphia area. Plus, the Dish 942 has been one of the few electronic gadgets that my wife has actually embraced; she tolerates my buying these things, but would kill me if I didn't find something that worked as nicely as the 942. E* is the only choice until FiOS TV rolls into town in 12-24 months.

jayn_j

Press On Regardless
Supporting Founder
Sep 29, 2003
Sheboygan, WI
riffjim4069 said:
I see your point, but in my case I have three HDTVs, love HD and VOOM programming, and live in poorly managed Adelphia area. Plus, the Dish 942 has been one of the few electronic gadgets that my wife has actually embraced; she tolerates my buying these things, but would kill me if I didn't find something that worked as nicely as the 942. E* is the only choice until FiOS TV rolls into town in 12-24 months.

Yep. I sit here with HD sets and little OTA choice. However, I still see this as Dish exploiting a scarcity situation and one that I don't think is going to last. My intent is to sit 6 months and see what shakes out.

Heck, I lived without HDTV for years now. We can susrvive another six months. I figure in that time, I'll be sitting with a debugged 508 while you guys are busy shaking the bugs out of the 622 for me. I'd rather have stuff that works. Thanks guys, you make my ulcer smaller ;)

navychop

Member of the Month - July 2014!
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
Northern VA
Another reason for upgrading to the ViP622:

I don't have any Dish HD right now. I have a 721, 508 & 301. I'll "upgrade" to get HD. I held off getting HD because I knew MPEG-4 was coming out, and I did not want to have to switch receivers more times than necessary. Besides, I get HD OTA. So in a way, I'll upgrade from a 301 to a ViP622. I have no intentions of doing without a DVR or that 30 second skip button.

gbjbany

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 4, 2005
El Dorado Hills, CA Nr Sacramento
jayn_j said:
However, I still see this as Dish exploiting a scarcity situation and one that I don't think is going to last. My intent is to sit 6 months and see what shakes out.
True they are exploiting a basic economic building blocks such as "Supply and Demand" and "Maximum price the market can handle". The price of oil and other commodities are traded on these principles every day.

Last edited:

jayn_j

Press On Regardless
Supporting Founder
Sep 29, 2003
Sheboygan, WI
gbjbany said:
True they are exploiting a basic economic building blocks such as "Supply and Demand" and "Maximum price the market can handle". The price of oil and other commodities are traded on these principles every day.

Well, D'uh. I wasn't knocking them, just saying that I might be happier by being patient.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)