Why Blu Ray will win the War

But, all quality issues aside, why does there really have to be a "format war"?

I have an HD DVD player. I could care less if Blu=ray is still around 40 years from now, as long as I have HD DVD content. I have Dish Network; I'm happy & could care less if Direct TV has more customers. Do Xbox owners want Playstation to die and go away?

Yet 90% of all Blu=ray fan posts I see are directed at looking forward to seeing HD DVD die and go away. What's wrong with both formats continuing to be available, studios producing in both formats, and consumers choosing the player that fits their budget and equipment?

Yeah, yeah, I've heard it before - studios don't want to have to produce two formats, retailers don't want to have to carry two formats. Retailer manage to carry 3 formats or more for game titles; they'll manage.
:up My thoughts exactlly on my 3rd week of having an HD DVD player...

There is absoulutely nothing wrong with the two formats surviving except that even if both camps get players down to under $300 (and Toshiba has basically done that already) what will the average J6P buy? Will they buy? I have seen many a post here that have expressed the I will wait until there is one. When does that person jump.

My fear is that both survive. If HD-DVD gets alot of movies that I want then I will have to purchase a HD-DVD player but right now there are considerably more titles out and coming out only on BD that has my interest. That could change. However, back to my fear, the studios back in the late 90's were arguing over HD content and how it could be protected and we ended up with HDCP. While not currently in use it could be switched on at a simple request.

Now lets look at M$ and their desire to bleed every dollar from the consumer by charging for HD movies that have no HD audio and last only 4 days. And they are not the only ones, there is the movie on demand by cable and satellite networks that smells of the same note. First you must have a large hard drive and you can only view so many times before you must repay to watch again. I personally want to own my movie collection and do not want it watered down or limited to view time. Downloadable content is only useful if you get to keep it. Aparently that is not in M$ nor Cable or Satellite's plans.

So, yes it is okay for both formats to survive -- I just think that if this draws out longer then 2 or 3 years we will all pay with having to do with a water-downed product that will be inferior to either BD or HD-DVD as we now know it.

With all due respect, which is it? Blu-ray "looks the same", or "looks better"?

:rolleyes:

I have only HD DVD, and haven't seen a Blu-ray playback since the 'early days' when I laughed at the 5th Element playback display at a Best Buy. But I do read, and it appears Blu-ray has improved. The dual format releases from Paramount & Warner do receive pretty equal reviews for Picture Quality. It can be hit or miss for audio quality, as Blu-ray still doesn't support HD audio like HD DVD does in requiring all players to be able decode TrueHD and DTS MA. Some Blu-ray only releases do have excellent audio quality by getting around this by including space wasting uncompressed PCM audio tracks. I guess they need to find some use for that extra disk space, when advance video codecs provide equal or superior PQ with much less disk space.

But, all quality issues aside, why does there really have to be a "format war"?

I have an HD DVD player. I could care less if Blu=ray is still around 40 years from now, as long as I have HD DVD content. I have Dish Network; I'm happy & could care less if Direct TV has more customers. Do Xbox owners want Playstation to die and go away?

Yet 90% of all Blu=ray fan posts I see are directed at looking forward to seeing HD DVD die and go away. What's wrong with both formats continuing to be available, studios producing in both formats, and consumers choosing the player that fits their budget and equipment?

Yeah, yeah, I've heard it before - studios don't want to have to produce two formats, retailers don't want to have to carry two formats. Retailer manage to carry 3 formats or more for game titles; they'll manage. I'm watching HD Movie net as I type this. They just had a a promo for the premier of John Wayne's "The Searchers". I own it on HD DVD, in VC-1. For HD Movie Net on Dish, I'm sure it has to be in Mpeg4. Studios will do what they have to do to sell content. :)

Oh its definitely both! Like i have said many many times there is no WAR for me! Before the launch of Blu ray i just new with my heart blu ray would win. Until i seen a display at Circuit city. I then walked to sear watched HD DVD. Bought a unit and have enjoyed every since. At the same time alot of Blu Ray tittles do look better then the first tittles. With out a doubt! As far as sound i really do like Blu ray sound better! I had to buy a new receiver to enjoy the pcm sound but hey sounds great! Any way don't try that war crap with me i like both and will continue to buy movies i like in BOTH formats! :rolleyes:

...The new specs for BD-java, including PIP, are mandatory as of 10/31/07. That's not when they finalize the specs, as this guy wrote in his article, that's when all machines sold as Blu-ray must meet the expanded specs.
This is not true.
As pointed out on AVSForum, this is when new models should support these specs.
Old models (not supporting BD-Live 1.1) can be manufactured and sold even after that cutoff date.

Diogen.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)