Why buy a set with integrated tuner?

ricks

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Mar 6, 2004
I asked a similar question a week or so ago and didn't get what I'm trying to understand.

I realize including integrated tuners is because of the government more than it is a decision by the manufacturers. But, since everything but OTA signals requires a STB, why would I want to purchase (and pay extra) for a set with an integrated tuner? That is unless I intended to receive nothing but OTA transmissions. I must be missing something but I don't know what it is. Anyone care to enlighten me? :confused:

you are absolutely right, you dont need a set with an integrated tuner, unless you are planning to only get OTA, even then you get and OTA stb. So basically you dont need and integrated tuner, its a big waste of money.

I can tell you that when I got my Tv 65712 Mitz. It just came with the integrated tuners I didnt think anything of it I just wanted that Tv , But I am glad it did come with it , 1st I didnt plan to get HDTV through D at 1st so I wanted just over the air and some of the STB's were $500 and $600 just for the ones for over the air. Now I have D HD & Voom and I dont know about anyone else on this or other fourms but I am still glad I got a integrated tuner because even with the D STB and Voom STB over the air tuners in them. My over the air picture is better through my Tv tuner than the other 2 . This is just my own opition others might feel different.

So, since many new sets will have a tuner (such as one particular model line of the new Sammy's that most people want) in order for the manufacturers to comply with the government directive, we're simply being forced to purchase a pig in a polk, and at an increased price to boot. Lovely.

LOBO2999 said:
I can tell you that when I got my Tv 65712 Mitz. It just came with the integrated tuners I didnt think anything of it I just wanted that Tv , But I am glad it did come with it , 1st I didnt plan to get HDTV through D at 1st so I wanted just over the air and some of the STB's were $500 and $600 just for the ones for over the air. Now I have D HD & Voom and I dont know about anyone else on this or other fourms but I am still glad I got a integrated tuner because even with the D STB and Voom STB over the air tuners in them. My over the air picture is better through my Tv tuner than the other 2 . This is just my own opition others might feel different.

You posted while I was pecking away. I understand your point. Still seems to be a useless, duplicative, expense solely for the "possibility" the PQ will be marginally better. Or, is this a way around the acknowledged Voom mapping problem?

ricks said:
You posted while I was pecking away. I understand your point. Still seems to be a useless, duplicative, expense solely for the "possibility" the PQ will be marginally better. Or, is this a way around the acknowledged Voom mapping problem?

There is no particular reason why an internal tuner should provide better PQ than an external one.

ricks said:
So, since many new sets will have a tuner (such as one particular model line of the new Sammy's that most people want) in order for the manufacturers to comply with the government directive, we're simply being forced to purchase a pig in a polk, and at an increased price to boot. Lovely.

I think it was geared more towards cable to get off their rump and decide on one method of decoding and for simplicities sake because the average Joe or Jane would be stupidfied why they would have to spend more $$$ on something additional like a STB.

you certainly need one (an ota TUNER) in the tv set if you go with cable. Cox cable here is still giving everyone analog for the first 100 channels. And when these customers get satellie and an OTA tuner they laugh and swear they will never go back.

I think there are a few misconceptions regarding internal tuners. First, you don't HAVE to have one...you can buy models without intergral tuners. Second, there is programming available to me OTA that is NOT available via cable or sat, so that alone makes it worth it. Third, my tuner cost me $99 more. Fourth, intergral tuners will also decode HD cable channels that are not encrypted, which for some means major networks, so some folks don't have to pay the additional $10-$15/mo fee for the "HD package". Ok...what number am I up to?...oh yeah...Fifth, there are MANY reasons why one tuner might provide a better pic than another tuner...due to the signal processing/decoding within the tuners themselves.

Did that get them all? :)

Lob

I bought an RCA DLP w/internal tuner. I consider it an advantage because I can decode the cable HD channels, of which I have 2. I got a 61" DLP, internal tuner, DVI, Firewire, and 3 component inputs for $3700...not a bad deal.

Holy frijoles -- some of you seem to think that requiring an integrated tuner is like demanding your firstborn child.

There's a *real* simple reason why TVs should have integrated tuners -- namely that the transmission of TV signals should be more than a friggin' formality between the cable company and the TV station.

Many folks seem to forget that HDTV and digital transmission weren't invented purely so you could watch a prettier picture. Half the point was to make it so that TV signals that were worth a damn could be picked up with an antenna. Over-the-air reception was so bad for most consumers that hardly anyone bothered trying to use it, and all that airspace was becoming an anachronistic formality.

The networks are broadcasters, and requiring an integrated tuner will help give them an incentive to live up to that name. Of course, what's even more important than requiring an integrated tuner is to require that stations broadcast digital signals. I'd love to see all these cheap FOX sons-of-guns fined to heck 'n back for thumbing their noses at us for wanting a decent signal that we don't have to pay anyone to bring us.

Even satellite services like Voom can't compete with OTA for quality -- and integrated tuners therefore provide consumers with the best shot they have at top-notch picture quality. All they need supply is some bunny ears, provided they're lucky enough to live within a decent range of a broadcast tower.

Might not be a bad idea to fine stations if they don't broadcast an adequate signal to be picked up by at least half the viewers in the area, too. The current system favors cable companies strongly, and hurts viewing quality. After all, the cable companies are the only player in the game that never wants us to see an OTA HDTV signal -- because those signals eliminate the very raison d'etre that gave rise to the cable companies in the first place.

All interesting responses. Glad I asked the question again. This is exactly the type of discussion I was hoping for the first time, but didn't get. Thanks, folks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)