Why Buy??

ccollet

Original poster
Nov 28, 2006
:confused: I've noticed alot of recievers and dish equip.for sale on places such as ebay. I'm kinda curious as to why someone would want to buy and own the equipment when i thought it was provided by Dish Network anyway.

Some people like to own their own equipment for various reasons.

Myself, I (almost) never buy - I lease the E* equipment because I usually want to replace it with new technology withing about 3 yrs, so the lease seems cheaper.

To each his own.....

You can only lease a certain amount of equipment from them. Usually 4 tuners, so after that you have to buy. I lease a 522 and a 625, but purchased a 311 for another room and also purchased the switch to make that one work :) So sometimes you have to buy stuff, or like he said some people just want to own it

I wondered this too b/c it seems the cost of the product is sometimes more than it would cost to rent the product over it's entire lifecycle

I just bought a 625 receiver. It cost me $200 on ebay including the shipping. If I leased it, I would pay $99 up front (that is the deal the CSR offered me, some may be offered better deals), plus $5 per month lease fee. So if I keep the receiver for 20 months, I break even. After that I'm saving $5 per month. Even if you lease, you have to keep it 18 months, (again, that was the deal I was told.)

So from my perpective, I don't understand why anyone would lease! :)

Norm

I just bought a 625 receiver. It cost me $200 on ebay including the shipping. If I leased it, I would pay $99 up front (that is the deal the CSR offered me, some may be offered better deals), plus $5 per month lease fee. So if I keep the receiver for 20 months, I break even. After that I'm saving $5 per month. Even if you lease, you have to keep it 18 months, (again, that was the deal I was told.)

So from my perpective, I don't understand why anyone would lease! :)

Norm

yea, that's all good if nothing goes wrong with the receiver in the next 2 years. leasing also has the built in warranty factor.

So from my perspective, I don't understand why anyone would lease! :)

Norm

This is interesting. I got in on a deal about 2 years ago for a 510 from Dish for $79 (or so). I truly believe I *own* that because there is NO lease fee on my bill. I just ordered (waiting for the installer as I type this) a 625 for $69. The CSR made NO MENTION of this being leased NOR mentioned any lease fee. The ONLY fee mentioned was the $5 second receiver and $5.98 DVR fees. There was an 18 month commitment or there would be a $240 cancellation fee.

Well, I just checked and the 625 that's on it's way now is LEASED. I didn't know that nor did the Dish CSR state that. They told me that it was $5 for the 2nd receiver (the 2 tuner counts as one) and $5.98 for PVR. Now I read on line (my account) about the offer and it states it's a lease. The $5 is for the lease payment and if you don't keep it connected to a phone line, there's another $5 charge. Geeze Louise!! They really stick it to you with the extra fees. OTH, I do like that I need an upgrade because of a system change (or equipment failure), they will change out the box (if I understand correctly)

Now I'm unsure of the status of my 510. How can I tell if I own it or it's leased?

I bought my 622 under the costco deal because I do not want to be locked into a 18 month contract. I have always bought my equipment and installed it myself. Most of that is due to a contract and some is that some installers dont know what they are doing so I install myself. In the case of a 622 I dont want to pay the leasing fee or any other costs. This way I can also cancel and move to another service if I want, plus I can always Ebay the 622 for a return. Since I did in fact buy it I can do whatever I please with it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)