why cant 3 lnb pick up HD locals?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mots-a

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 22, 2006
Howdy Gang -

Why do I have to have the big 5lnb to get my local channels in HD? why cant the smaller 3 lnb pick up my locals in HD - I looked at the offerings from that other (dish network) and it seems they offer my locals in HD from a smaller dish.

I am not going to switch I love Directv - I am just asking to learn.

thanks,
T

Local HD channels are Ka band and broadcast from the 99 and 103 locations. The PhaseIII dish is not Ka LNB equipped and can't see the 99 or 103 sats.

Last edited:
thanks -

I have another question?

If I get a HD dvr from directtv can I hook 1 cable from my 5lnb and 1 cable from my 3 lnb?

Would this hook up work?

thanks
T

mots-a said:
thanks -

I have another question?

If I get a HD dvr from directtv can I hook 1 cable from my 5lnb and 1 cable from my 3 lnb?

Would this hook up work?

thanks
T

Why would you want to do this? the 5LNB (AT-9 dish) picks up all the same satellites that the phase 3 does in addition to the two Ka band satellites.

Also, to get HD channels on Dish you might need a second dish pointing to 61.5 or 129 to get all of them.

Last edited:
rad said:
Why would you want to do this? the 5LNB (AT-9 dish) picks up all the same satellites that the phase 3 does in addition to the two Ka band satellites.

After having 2 LNBs replaced on my 5lnb dish I dont want to mess with it. I only have one cable run to my 5lnb dish this cable runs to my H20 that is on top of my DVR,

I already have 2 cable drops run from my 3 lnb to old DVR and 1 from my 5lmb to H20 in the same room - one box under the other - From what I am seeing i dont think it would work my 3 lnb seems to be 10 seconds faster than my 5 lnb, or could it be that my samsung dvr is faster then my H20.?

thnx
t

Last edited:
mots-a said:
rad said:

After having 3 LNBs replaced on my 5lnb dish I dont want to mess with it.

Also I already have 2 cable drops run from my 3 lnb to old DVR and 1 from my 5lmb to H20 in the same room - one box under the other - From what I am seeing i dont think it would work my 3 lnb seems to be 10 seconds faster than my 5 lnb, or could it be that my samsung dvr is faster then my H20.?

thnx
t

Well first of all there is something wrong is it takes longer then 10 seconds to change channels on your H20/AT-9 configuration, you need D* to check it out. Especially since you've said you've had 3 LNB's replaced on your AT-9, it might be time to get D* to send out a different installation company to check it out.

I don't think what you want to do with the HR20 will work since you can't tell the set up that one connection is to a 5LNB and the other is to a 3LNB. It would also prevent you from recording/watching two programs from the Ka satellites.

doh - I forgot about having to set up the Dish config - cant do both 3 lnb and 5 lnb on one box - my mistake.

Its not channle changing that gives the 10 second delay - here is my set up I have the new 5 lnb dish with 1 cable drop to a h20 in my tv room I also have a 3 lnb dish that has a 4 drops 2 of these cables go to a older samsung dvr in my tv room. this dvr is in the same location as my H20. I have 2 tvs in the tv room one shows the H20 HD and the other shows the DVR. I have noticed that the H20 has a great picture is about 10 seconds behind the Dvr. so when watching the same channle my dvr shows up faster then the h20.

thanks for your response

Status
Please reply by conversation.

HR20 Out of Stock?

The HR20 can record 3 shows at once??

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts