Why can't Dish compete with cable?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Bobby_M

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 3, 2004
Seriously, I want to come back to Dish but they make it impossible.

I had dish from 98 to 03. Cablevision lured me with a ridiculous $59/m for the first two years including two tuner HD DVR with essentially equivelent to the DISH silver channel lineup with HBO. What a no brainer. I've recently went up to full price which is $75. I figured at this price, Dish likely has something similar.

My major gripe with cable right now is their lack of Discovery HD. Although dish does have 25 HD channels, I'm really only missing the Discovery HD and would consider all the other HD additions a minor bonus.

So, I go through the dish site and look at all the HD packs and tried to match it up with what I'm used to. That is, HD silver + locals + HBO, 622 upgrade for the DVR.

The verdict? $250 upfront + $91 a month. Are you Fing kidding me? I don't need Discovery HD THAT bad. How is dish still luring people in?

Bobby

$170 a month cable, with only 2 HDDVR and 4 SD NON DVRS, NOW 1 HDDVR, 4 HD RECEIVERS, 1 SD DVR, MORE MOVIE CHANNELS, CALLER ID ON TV, Better Picture, Better Sound, with Everything pack $130... Plus I get OTA HD with the receivers, No local HD with cable, ie No CBS/NBC

Cable's about $15/mo cheaper for me and part of the reason I swtched earlier this year, and that's before you take into account that I only pay $12/mo. for 6mbs internet with my bundling package. For $140/mo. + fees and taxes I get: HD DVR, all HD channels (15 total) including locals and RSN (great PQ, BTW, better than 811), HBO, all SD channels (= to Gold), phone with all calling features and unlimited long distance, high-speed internet, service guarantee. The price is guaranteed through July 08. They are also working on bandwidth limitations to adding more HD by switching several analog stations to digital tiers.

Bobby_M said:
The verdict? $250 upfront + $91 a month. Are you Fing kidding me? I don't need Discovery HD THAT bad. How is dish still luring people in?

Bobby

The answer is simple...Lots of people do not have cable companies that carry lots of HD programming.

Lots of people also don't to a full channel to channel comparison and only see that $7 - $12 cheaper; which is one less burger or soda each day. I have also found that bundles, even though they can say about $15- $20 usually might give you equal service one one item but then you are stuck with sub-par items on the remaining. You can do research and beat most of the bundle deals; no need to be so lazy to need everything on one paper bill. Just do the channel to channel compare and pay for what you like best based on package not $10 / month.

Bobby_M said:
Seriously, I want to come back to Dish but they make it impossible.

I had dish from 98 to 03. Cablevision lured me with a ridiculous $59/m for the first two years including two tuner HD DVR with essentially equivelent to the DISH silver channel lineup with HBO. What a no brainer. I've recently went up to full price which is $75. I figured at this price, Dish likely has something similar.

My major gripe with cable right now is their lack of Discovery HD. Although dish does have 25 HD channels, I'm really only missing the Discovery HD and would consider all the other HD additions a minor bonus.

So, I go through the dish site and look at all the HD packs and tried to match it up with what I'm used to. That is, HD silver + locals + HBO, 622 upgrade for the DVR.

Bobby

I guess it matters where you live and what cable company you are talking about. I dread the very possibility of going back to cable in a few years because my local Charter service is terrible.

Ummmmm.....Dish blows away cable in my area (Charter).

* Cheaper
* Vastly superior picture quality
* Far more HD content
* All digital channels
* Better hardware quality
* Better software
* Better programming guide
* Better service

Cable varies from area to area, but in Rancho Cucamonga, Kalifornia, Dish kicks Charter's booty real bad.

Here in north western AZ we have a cable company in Kingman, that was recently bought out by COX. There is a cable company in Beaver Dam I believe, I could be wrong. The rest of us are pretty much screwed and need Dish to watch anything remotely resembling HD.

BrightHouse Network

Brighthouse Network of Central Florida

I pay $124.00 for their complete channel lineup. I get every (60) movie channel plus 18 HD channels. The price includes TWO SA8300HD dual tuner PVRs and TWO HD non-PVR boxes. ALL locals and non-premiums are digital.

I think I got a pretty sweet deal. The only shortcoming is that they only offer one each HBO and SHO in HD. I wish they had MAX and some others in HD.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)