Why Can't I Have This Hopper/Joey Setup?

NextGen_Gamer

Original poster
Alright, so I really want to move to the new Hopper/Joey systems, but DISH is making it a bit difficult. Here is the setup I would like: one Hopper (let's call it "H-1") hooked to a HDTV; another Hopper ("H-2") hooked to another HDTV and two Joey's ("J-1", "J-2") both connected to the "H-2" Hopper. For whatever reason, DISH is telling me that the Hopper cannot function without a Joey connected to it. Therefore, I would have to have one Joey connected to one Hopper each. Let me explain why I would like it setup my way.

The first HDTV that would be connected to the "H-1" Hopper is the main TV, and it really needs both PTA and the other 2 tuners all to itself. There are times when I want to record shows on ABC/Fox/NBC/CW/Cartoon Network all at once, and the Hopper would allow me to do that, but of course any Joey connected to it would be forced to watch one of those "occupied" tuners. This is unacceptable. Now, the other HDTV ("H-2") and the third SDTV ("J-1") generally watch/record the same content and so that would work out really well. The fourth SDTV ("J-2") is rarely used, but those times it is are usually in the evening but are important. That's why it needs to have a spare tuner available to it, and the "H-2" Hopper would almost always be able to offer it its third tuner.

So, has anyone be able to setup their Hopper's/Joey's in something similar to this? Any technical reason why it won't work? Please, DISH, I just want PrimeTime Anywhere and that big 2TB HDD!

Let them come hook it up like they want then when they leave go into the whole home network settings on the joeys and link them to the Hopper you want. ;)

I had my 2 hopper 3 joey system setup so all the Joeys linked all to one hopper while no joeys connected to Hopper 2 and had no issues.

You can connect both J1 and J2 to either hopper. You can even switch which hoppers the joey is connected too on demand. Blue button then go over to whole-home. Dish is jut trying to say for each hopper you must have at least one Joey. Also just to be clear you only have access to 1/2 of the 2TB drive for DVR content. PTAT does not use DVR partition it uses the dish partition.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Welcome to the forum.

And welcome to what we like to call "CSR roulette."

Dealing with a local retailer, or our DIRT people, will fix you up quite nicely.

In any event, the problem is short lived. "Soon" the Hoppers will interoperate seamlessly, and you'll see 6 tuners, not two groups of 3. And you can swap which Hopper the Joey "sees" today.

You'll get 1TB per Hopper user accessible space.

You can switch which hopper the joey links to on the fly. What you want is not a problem. Dish has a business policy of at least one joey per hopper, which you qualify for, but some csr is overthinking it.

Get the install and just tell them you need 2H/2J and it will work just fine.

People have reported getting 2H/1J setups, and, IIRC, 2 Hopper only setups by going thru local retailers.

I'll wait a few months. Then I'll get a 2H/0J or maybe a 2H/1J setup. Or I won't move to H/J.

You should be able to easily get what you want today.

NextGen_Gamer said:
Alright, so I really want to move to the new Hopper/Joey systems, but DISH is making it a bit difficult. Here is the setup I would like: one Hopper (let's call it "H-1") hooked to a HDTV; another Hopper ("H-2") hooked to another HDTV and two Joey's ("J-1", "J-2") both connected to the "H-2" Hopper. For whatever reason, DISH is telling me that the Hopper cannot function without a Joey connected to it. Therefore, I would have to have one Joey connected to one Hopper each. Let me explain why I would like it setup my way.

The first HDTV that would be connected to the "H-1" Hopper is the main TV, and it really needs both PTA and the other 2 tuners all to itself. There are times when I want to record shows on ABC/Fox/NBC/CW/Cartoon Network all at once, and the Hopper would allow me to do that, but of course any Joey connected to it would be forced to watch one of those "occupied" tuners. This is unacceptable. Now, the other HDTV ("H-2") and the third SDTV ("J-1") generally watch/record the same content and so that would work out really well. The fourth SDTV ("J-2") is rarely used, but those times it is are usually in the evening but are important. That's why it needs to have a spare tuner available to it, and the "H-2" Hopper would almost always be able to offer it its third tuner.

So, has anyone be able to setup their Hopper's/Joey's in something similar to this? Any technical reason why it won't work? Please, DISH, I just want PrimeTime Anywhere and that big 2TB HDD!

You spoke with someone who doesnt know what they are doing.

CulpeperUplink said:
You can connect both J1 and J2 to either hopper. You can even switch which hoppers the joey is connected too on demand. Blue button then go over to whole-home.

What he said.

I have two Hoppers, one Joey. The wife's Hopper is recording PTAT every night. My son usually connects his Joey to my Hopper, but, will switch to his mothers at times to watch recorded shows. It takes all of 10 seconds hitting blue bottom, then whole home, then the other Hopper.. Wait 3 seconds.. Done. Joey can now watch other Hopper.

If worried about adult content, parental controls and passcode are your friend.

I have a 2 Hopper/ 2 Joey setup with one hopper connected to two joeys and the other hopper not connected to anything. works just fine and i didn't have a problem getting that setup. i ordered/upgraded via chat at dish.com. good luck, hope they get it worked out for you.

I have a 2 Hopper/ 2 Joey setup with one hopper connected to two joeys and the other hopper not connected to anything. works just fine and i didn't have a problem getting that setup. i ordered/upgraded via chat at dish.com. good luck, hope they get it worked out for you.

Right, but where the Joey wires are connected in the duo module is irrelevant to what Hopper they can look at. The OP is overthinking his demand and cofused the CSR. A conventional installation of 2H/2J will give him exactly what he was asking for. Unless, for family discipline he wants a Hopper separator, then all he has to do is ask the installer to plug the Joeys into one side. Keep the CSR out of it!

There really is not a wiring separation. Regardless of how the equipment is wired the Joeys will have access to either Hopper. Like the others have stated, you can tell both Joeys to look at one Hopper or you can have one Joey for each Hopper. It can be changed whenever. This is the same setup I have and it works great. Obviously the CSR is not well informed or he was confused.

Actually you can keep one hopper isolated from the rest of the system with 2 isolators. They look like splitters or diplexers. Very easy to do

Thanks for all the responses guys! This forum really is great and has a lot of active, smart members.

So what I am hearing is to just go ahead and order the 2 Hoppers/2 Joeys from DISH, and then once I have them I can essentially set them up any which way I like. Which is awesome news. Thanks again!

Quick side question: anyone here go from a 922 to the Hopper? Besides the 3 tuners and increased DVR space, the other thing I am interested in is performance. The Hopper contains Broadcom's newest satellite system-on-chip and is supposed to offer a pretty substantial speed boost over their previous one. So, any thoughts on speed differences between the 922 and Hopper? For the most part I am satisfied with the 922, but once you get past a couple hundred recordings, the interface does slow down a bit (too much indexing? I'm not sure).

I went from a 922 and a 722 to a 1H/3J other than regretting not getting 2h/2J The system is very nice and quite similar to the 922. I like the UI on the 922 better but they are only different in some of the colors. The H/J system works better than the 922 did. With the Sling adapter attached it performs better as well.

I went from 922 to the hopper and I think it is a little faster but I also loved my 922, but prime time anytime is well worth the switch.

People have reported getting 2H/1J setups, and, IIRC, 2 Hopper only setups by going thru local retailers.

I'll wait a few months. Then I'll get a 2H/0J or maybe a 2H/1J setup. Or I won't move to H/J.

You should be able to easily get what you want today.

I called DISH , They hooked me up with 2 hoppers 1 joey last week , cost me 100.00 50.00 per hopper. joey was free of course

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts