Why do Bell's DVR(PVR) receivers have less recording time and days on the EPG ?

miguelaqui

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 14, 2004
I have always wondered.....

A Dish 501 = 40 Hours EV 5100 = 30 Hours

Dish 510 = 100 hours EV 5900 = 80 hours

Why do EV receivers have less recording time? Is the recording quality lower on Dish Network? I can't see the difference.

Also, why can a EV PVR receiver only get 2 -3 days of guide and Dish Network gets almost 2 weeks? If EV can get the 3100 to have 2 days, just like the Dish 301, why can't they do the same with the PVR receivers?

miguelaqui said:
I have always wondered.....

A Dish 501 = 40 Hours EV 5100 = 30 Hours

Dish 510 = 100 hours EV 5900 = 80 hours

Why do EV receivers have less recording time? Is the recording quality lower on Dish Network? I can't see the difference.

Also, why can a EV PVR receiver only get 2 -3 days of guide and Dish Netowrk gets almost 2 weeks? If EV can get the 3100 to have 2 days, just like the Dish 301, why can't they do the same with the PVR receivers?

Expressvu does not compress the signal as much as Dish Network, therefore the file sizes are larger and take up more space.

As for the longer guide, Dish Network puts out a dedicated 9-day DVR guide out on 110 along with it's standard 2-day guide on all satellites. Expressvu only puts out a standard 2-day guide on both it's satellites, therefore thier DVR's don't have access to a 9-day guide. Probably a bandwidth thing, don't want to waste a transponder on 91 to put out a 9-day DVR guide.

Derwin0 said:
Expressvu does not compress the signal as much as Dish Network, therefore the file sizes are larger and take up more space.

As for the longer guide, Dish Network puts out a dedicated 9-day DVR guide out on 110 along with it's standard 2-day guide on all satellites. Expressvu only puts out a standard 2-day guide on both it's satellites, therefore thier DVR's don't have access to a 9-day guide. Probably a bandwidth thing, don't want to waste a transponder on 91 to put out a 9-day DVR guide.

Thanks! I really wish they would at least put out the 9 day guide on sat 82. So, technically, should the pic quality be better on an EV 5100, than on a Dish 501?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts