Why do I have a DVR 510 ?

JBRecording

Original poster
Aug 28, 2005
I just signed up for Dish network, I have a Superdish and the 510 DVR receiver... I keep seeing the commercials for Dish network and there's these brand-new looking DVR's on there and the one I have looks like it's been around the corner a few times. I'm told mine is a 510 model, which the installer said "isn't being made anymore"... On Dish's website the new-ish one that I was hoping for is a DVR 625/522... what's the deal with that? I'm a techno-geek, and I was hoping to get that one because it was the newest/latest/greatest thing... why did I get some "old pair-of-shoes" model???

Know what you are getting

Well your receiver is the same as the 522 except only 1 tv can be ran from it. You should have gotten the 522 dual tuner because it doesnt cost any more and you can run 2 seperate channels with it on 2 Tv sets. Yours still should have the 100 hour recording capability. And the only difference between the 522 and 625 is the Dish on Demand service, which is a new menu that is sort of like Dish Home but you can rent movies and they will be there instantly instead of waiting for the time block PPV channels.

I'd say your installers are dicks and hosed ya, give 'em a call and see if they can't get it right...

You should have at least gotten a new 510, not a used one. Actually, and someone tell me if this will actually help, call Dish first and complain to them and tell them you got a used, old receiver instead of a new one and want to know how to exhange it for what you should have gotten.

Read the agreement that you signed too, see what it says about the box, lease, fees, cancellation period, etc...

AEITech said:
Yours still should have the 100 hour recording capability. And the only difference between the 522 and 625 is the Dish on Demand service, which is a new menu that is sort of like Dish Home but you can rent movies and they will be there instantly instead of waiting for the time block PPV channels.
Ummm. No. That's not the only difference. The biggest difference between the newer Dish DVR's and the previous generation 501/508/510 is that the newer 522/625/942 all have dual tuner capability. (Three tuners in the 942 including the OTA tuner.) That allows mutliple simultaneous recording, or, even more importantly, the ability to record one thing and watch another.

You also get two independant outputs, which is nice. Send a feed to the BR TV.

I would no more choose to own/lease a single tuner DVR than I would a non-DVR receiver. I can't believe Dish still sells these things AND has the nerve to charge an extra $5 monthly "DVR" fee.

JB - Call the retailer, and tell them you want the proper setup and equipment. If they try and give you the runaround, contact ceo@echostar.com, and explain the situation to them.

Actually, I see you use the word "installer", not retailer. If the system was ordered from Dish directly, contact Dish at 1-800-333-DISH first. More than likely, they will tell you they can't do anything. But, it's worth a shot before going the ceo@echostar.com route.

<<You also get two independant outputs, which is nice. Send a feed to the BR TV.>>

If you have newer 522/625/942, from what I hear you can hookup to another TV.
Does it allow you to control channels independently of the primary TV? also how do you hookup to another TV? Is is via cable or wireless? Thanks

Yes, the 522 is hugely different then a 510.

Besides the dual tuners and dual outputs the 522 also gets you Name Based Recording.

The 510 has been around for a long time but is a VERY solid/reliable box (perhaps fewer bugs then the 522).

Well let's not jump the gun here.

How many TV's did you order? If you only ordered 1, guess what you are gonna get the 510. Did you tell the retailer or dish that you wanted a certain model, or did you just tell them you wanted 1 tv with DVR.

People can't read your mind. If you wanted a Dual Tuner DVR you should have asked for it.

how are the installers dicks? they dont choose what to install. they install what their work order tells them to install

RandallA said:
Here is the back of a 522. You can use Composite or RF (21-69) to connect TV2. They give you 2 remotes, one of them is an UHF remote.

i'm subject to correction on this, but i believe the only output to TV2 on the 522 other than RF is RCA, which only takes three wires for an improved signal over RF, as compared to composite, which takes five wires to deliver an even higher quality signal than RCA, three of which are chroma and the other two are your audio lines.

When you order with the csr or sales rep thats the first contact and person you talk to to get what your looking for, when the tech comes out thats the second one you talk to about your equipment. If a tech ever puts in a used box thats not an authorized practice, the only time you would recieve a not new box is when you would get a reman box and a reman box will never look like its been around the block a few times. Ive run into a few situations where a shady sub dealer has installed used box's and charged the customer full price, so call up to dish about this, theres no telling what else they did wrong.

jstroup said:
RandallA said:
Here is the back of a 522. You can use Composite or RF (21-69) to connect TV2. They give you 2 remotes, one of them is an UHF remote.

i'm subject to correction on this, but i believe the only output to TV2 on the 522 other than RF is RCA, which only takes three wires for an improved signal over RF, as compared to composite, which takes five wires to deliver an even higher quality signal than RCA, three of which are chroma and the other two are your audio lines.

http://www.dishretailer.com/ts2003/4/MVC-013S.JPG

Nope, the back has coax and composite for TV2. Coax, svideo and composite for TV1.

Coax = the coax of course
composite = "RCA" jack, the audio stuff is just regular 2 channel audio..
svideo = the one with multiple pins, you still use the audio jacks for the audio ;)

Anyway, the 510s are alright but that's just creepy that they gave you a used one. The only people that do that usually are the cable companies.

jstroup and OoTLink:
  • "RCA" is the generic term for the push-on connectors, NOT the type of signal.
  • "Composite" is the generic term for 3-wire (Yellow, Red, White by convention) video (Yellow) and audio (Red=Right, White=Left) connections.
  • "Component" is the generic term for 3-wire video (Red, Blue, & Green labels). Analog audio would require 2 more wires (another Red plus a White). Digital audio is often used, and is either a coaxial wire on an Orange RCA jack, or optical (TOSLink).
Oh - and O-guy - you're right about the S-Video.

SimpleSimon and jstroup and OoTLink:
  • "Composite" (aka baseband video) really just refers to the video signal, has nothing to do with audio, so it's just the yellow RCA connector. It's a composite signal containing the luminance and chrominance info together (separated on S-Video, and separated a bit differently in component video). But it is almost always "packaged" with analog audio on red & white RCA connectors.
:)

Simon and Coder: I know you want to say exactly what an "RCA plug" is, and that's cool with me, in that case I was just cross referencing to what he called it... probably wasn't the best way to say that huh.

TuxCoder (again): *hits for saying the same thing about composite video and the stereo audio stuff* Heheh.. :D

Out in the good ole' computer world, it aint unusual to see composite video with no sign of the red/white audio. Strange to some, but then again my audio setup ends up using said analog jacks anyway lol.

The use of "RCA-ended cables" seems to be quite popular with cheap home theater systems right now too.. man that creeps me out!

Call Dish or your retailer and tell them you want the 625 as advertised on TV and the website.

I you go direct to order online thru dish network and select only 1 tv with DVR functions it shows you require installation of 625 as the default equipment.
If however you use the Dish builder link to order it gives you a 510 dvr when selecting only 1 tv with DVR.

The 510 is a single tuner and doesn't have Named based recording and I can't see any reason to accept this instead of a 625.

It would save the installer time and or extra equipment to give you a 510 instead of a 625.
If they gave you a used 510 they could save even more.

<<Nope, the back has coax and composite for TV2.>>

Here's my question. To hook it up another TV in the house, you would need to run a coax or composite cable long enough to reach 2nd set of tv. Now if TV is say 100 or 50 feet away and you don't have any wiring .. hmm not a pretty sight.

Anyone tried hooking up a wireless video/audio transmitter from 2nd TV outlet plug and see if works great? if so what brand/model. Thanks !

Old pair of shoes?

JBRecording said:
I just signed up for Dish network, I have a Superdish and the 510 DVR receiver... I keep seeing the commercials for Dish network and there's these brand-new looking DVR's on there and the one I have looks like it's been around the corner a few times. I'm told mine is a 510 model, which the installer said "isn't being made anymore"... On Dish's website the new-ish one that I was hoping for is a DVR 625/522... what's the deal with that? I'm a techno-geek, and I was hoping to get that one because it was the newest/latest/greatest thing... why did I get some "old pair-of-shoes" model???

I was given 2 510's from Dish with my 2 year lease. I find them to be extremely reliable and they are real workhorses. I had 2 HDTV receivers before the DVR's. They SUCKED! I love the pq and user friendliness of the 510's. AND Dish gave me a full 1 year credit on my acct. for the monthly DVR fee for both of them. Aside from 2 bad experiences with India I have been treated very well by Dish and the 510's.

second room

stevelite said:
<<You also get two independant outputs, which is nice. Send a feed to the BR TV.>>
If you have newer 522/625/942, from what I hear you can hookup to another TV.
Does it allow you to control channels independently of the primary TV? also how do you hookup to another TV? Is is via cable or wireless? Thanks

Will the installer fish the second line up to my daughter' room from the main location in the living room? I have I have a 520 and a 4900. I own both. Which would you keep online? I only need two sets. They'll only give me $25 as a trade in. Figured if I shut down the 510 i'd give it to my ex and my daughter to use.

Ron

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)